Just got HL2: RTB

Ridge

Reaction score
OMG I love this book! Im here reading the slideshow briefing setup, and OMG I would have loved to see this. For people like me who never played HL1, or for most of us who just never figured out what went down after HL1, this would have completely filled the gap!

Im so sad that this scene never made it into the game!

1st thing to do when u get rtb... send it to me! i wanna read it! =D please... anyway how much is it?

I've been looking for this book everywhere, and now that it gives away that info about HL1, I'm not so sure I should because I've never played it.

P.S. It Goes for about $22.04 in most stores.

How can you call yourself a HL fan and not of played HL1!? :) Get it through steam...better yet, get all the HL games while your at it......

RTB cost me like 30 i think......pretty good book, shows alot of the non-implemented creatures that were cut as well as alot of insight from writers/mappers/etc.

Cost me $38 and some odd change from Barnes & Noble

Tyguy said:
How can you call yourself a HL fan and not of played HL1!

I don't have a PC, and I don't have the money to buy one. It is really tempting, though.

I wish I did so I could play it. :(

Termite said:
I don't have a PC, and I don't have the money to buy one. It is really tempting, though.

Then how are you posting here if you don't have a PC? Heck....you could install HL1 and play it on a old library computer or something! :)

Termite said:

I was talking to Ridge......

Yeah, Raising the bar is pretty awesome. It gives you an interesting insight into the amount of ideas they went through, but overall it makes me feel even happier with the version of Half-life 2 we ended up with.

Samon said:
Yeah, Raising the bar is pretty awesome. It gives you an interesting insight into the amount of ideas they went through, but overall it makes me feel even happier with the version of Half-life 2 we ended up with.

Really? Overall it makes me wish that they had not cut as much as they did. However, we do have Missing Information working to fix that.

Yup, really. Alot of the stuff that was cut got cut for good reason. Not to spite you. I much prefer HL2 how it is - rather than the long, slightly silly journey across the wasteland and to the the Air Exchange etc. You wouldn't have had the time for much plot scenes.

I'm really glad they cut all that stuff - especially the weapons. The amount of weapons Valve had was a joke. I have no idea what they were thinking.

I got it last year for about $50 at EB Games. And yes, it rocks/is worth it.

Samon said:
Yup, really. Alot of the stuff that was cut got cut for good reason. Not to spite you. I much prefer HL2 how it is - rather than the long, slightly silly journey across the wasteland and to the the Air Exchange etc. You wouldn't have had the time for much plot scenes.

I'm really glad they cut all that stuff - especially the weapons. The amount of weapons Valve had was a joke. I have no idea what they were thinking.

I understand. Everyone is entitled to h/h opinion. I for one would have liked to have traveled to the Air Exchange, Kracken base etc. But who knows, maybe we will visit there (or see the wasteland etc) in Episodes 2 and 3.

As for the weapons I agree. The only weapon I wish they had kept in the game but cut in the final version was the OICW.

Air Exchange, Kraken would have been interesting...I wonder what kind of detail would be present on the C-130...

Like they said, when they cut stuff, it allows them to focus on other parts, which then make them better than previously planned/thought!

Trooper said:
I understand. Everyone is entitled to h/h opinion. I for one would have liked to have traveled to the Air Exchange, Kracken base etc. But who knows, maybe we will visit there (or see the wasteland etc) in Episodes 2 and 3.

As for the weapons I agree. The only weapon I wish they had kept in the game but cut in the final version was the OICW.

The wasteland looked meh, in my opinion. It was just the usual, post-apocalyptic desert wasteland. I'm glad they didn't include this. In Episode 2 the wasteland looks interesting because its the countryside. Its simply abandoned countryside ravaged by xen-wildlife - far more original.

The presence of the Air Exchange would have meant that everyone was wearing a gas mask. Whilst the Air Exchange looked interesting, and I'm sure would have played interesting, I think the presence of Nova Prospekt was far more worthy. First it was a recognizable place, a gulag (prison), and somehow it was a place that had gone from horrific, to even more horrific, with touches of Combine technology here and there.

The Air Exchange was made up completely of Combine materials, which would have dampened the effect had by the Citadel. Also, I prefer the idea of the Combine assimilating the human race, rather than changing the air. It seems like a process that would come at a later stage. And I'm sure we'll see the Air Exchange in the future, but not in the Episodes.

Kraken base - we might just see this in 3, especially if it was the 'project' Mossman was checking out. But how possible would it be for a rag-tag resistance to have an underwater base? :p

The OICW project was cut in real-life. Simply, it would have been out of place, and what's more I felt it was a rather meh weapon. *shrugs*

Trooper said:
I for one would have liked to have traveled to the Air Exchange, Kracken base etc.

There is hope that we may visit Kraken base in the next episode.

Trooper said:
The only weapon I wish they had kept in the game but cut in the final version was the OICW.

Other than being very pretty, it was no different from the MP5.

Back