Kill your best friend and shoot your annoying wife, the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Baffling Illness Strikes Africa, Turns Children Into Mindless "Zombies"

World Health Organization is on high alert about new Ugandan outbreak, cause is not fully known.

It's called the "nodding disease" and it's a baffling illness that has struck thousands of children in northern Uganda. The illness brings on seizures, violent behavior in some (debated), personality changes, and a host of other unusual symptoms.

In one of the most bizarre symptoms of this tragic illness, children with the disease are reportedly setting fire to buildings in their communities. Coupled with the aimless wandering this disease provokes in victims, this is a deadly combination. More than 200 people have been killed in fires believed to be set by the zombified children.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=24276

I read about this a few days ago, I don't see why they even use the "zombie" label. From those symptoms I see nothing at all similar to zombies in any way.

She recalls, "When I am going to the garden, I tie them with cloth. If I don't tie them I come back and find that they have disappeared."

Reportedly the children gnaw at their fabric restraints, like a rabid animals -- or "zombies" of popular fiction -- in an attempt to escape.

the aimless wandering this disease provokes in victims

there have been few reports of violent behavior.

Eventually the seizures lead to the more severe symptoms mentioned in the intro -- loss of speech, partial paralysis, personality changes, and -- according to CNN -- violence.

not that hard to see why they called it that

I'd be gnawing fairly frantically too if somebody tied me up. It's hardly unusual behaviour in that situation.

Yeah, but Kiplings, surely you don't wander around aimlessly just because you have nothing to do.

not that hard to see why they called it that
So children gnawing off a cloth that they were TIED UP WITH, aimless wandering, setting fires (violent behavior), and seizures (which led to things like loss of speech) are seemingly zombie-like traits, eh?

So if I tied you up and left you alone in your house - you wouldn't try to gnaw off the ropes I tied you with? That'd be inhuman, according to you.

Aimless wandering. I wander aimlessly when I'm bored. I walk all over my house. Ever been on a walk when your bored or to get exercise or anything of the sort? Seems really zombie like to me. Yea, for sure, Stern.

Setting fires (violent behavior). Come on, when is the last time you EVER heard of a zombie setting fires? Give me a break.

Seizures leading to loss of speech. Well not talking seems to be a zombie like trait, you got me there. But this disease causes seizures and THOSE SEIZURES cause the loss of speech. Not directly related to the disease itself. Partial paralysis - zombies aren't paralyzed. Atleast I've never heard of one being paralyzed. They get chopped in half and still move about as if nothing happened. Personality changes? Well just having a personality is something very human and not zombie-like at all. They have no personality, they are walking dead people.

None of these things scream out 'zombie' to me in any way.

Dog, you do know there are two meanings for the word zombie right? There's the John Romero "reanimated corpse" zombie, and then there's the African "person in a trance controled by a witchdoctor" zombie.

I've read about those, even those aren't like this at all. Voodoo zombies are closer to real zombies sans the flesh eating. Look it up man.

I'm absolutely amazed that you people have managed to start a paragraphs-worth argument over whether this constitutes a serious zombie threat. Oh wait, it's HL2. net...

I'm absolutely amazed that you people have managed to start a paragraphs-worth argument over whether this constitutes a serious zombie threat. Oh wait, it's HL2. net...

No it isn't. This is VALVETIME.NET WHERE WE ARGUE ABOUT ZOMBIES and other unrelated things. But yea I'm not worried unless they start chewing on other people.

This. I see the relevance in the Zombie comparison, just because they don't eat each others' flesh doesn't mean they can't be likened to zombies in other ways.

Seems like a weird disease, man. Basically got me thinking of RE4 and 5 here with the Las Plagas parasites. Except Plagas infected people would mostly go about their daily lives when not being controlled.

Nice of them to put pictures of RE5 up though...

Dog said:
So if I tied you up and left you alone in your house - you wouldn't try to gnaw off the ropes I tied you with? That'd be inhuman, according to you.

I'd just assume you had sexy intent and just stepped out for lube

Thankyou I never would have cared about the plight of thousands of children had you not related it back to some terrible overplayed pop culture bullshit.

The old one was animated too. The tongue didn't go up and down like that though, went in and out.

The old one was animated too. The tongue didn't go up and down like that though, went in and out.
There was an animated and unanimated one depending on whether you capitalized the P.

Back