Kinect launch details, its what we feared...and worse

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
Umm... I thought this was assumed (although not officially confirmed) for a while.

Although I did not know about the DLC bit :p

Well that is slightly steep I must say. I've not seen much excitement about Kinect from friends who have 360s. Ship something Modern Warfare related and you'll turn the global recession around instantly.
Buy an iPad!
That's honestly what I saw with that new custom title, who was generous enough to provide that?

That's honestly what I saw with that new custom title, who was generous enough to provide that?

I don't know, it just appeared a couple days ago.

And you should buy an iPad.

Were not the target audience so it don't matter (except for warbie and his family.)
:p
I'm sure they'll love it.

:p

The only thing that tempts me is Child of Eden - which does look excellent. Either way, at £130 MS can suck my balls.

if people got tired of wailing their arms to the Wii then don't they think the core crowd of PS3 and Xbox fanboys would follow suit?? on the other hand HD graphics and some FPS may be fun for a few run throughs but not at $150 extra dollars. I'd rather join a paintball league

I still haven't seen anything that makes me want Kinect. Seems extremely limited and expensive for what it does. I also hate supporting these idiots who come up with some new technology but have no real reason for it so they have to make up some reason for it after the fact. Clearly this leads to uninspired garbage as we will all soon see.

I think this and the Playstation Move are some of the most pointless bits of tech ever made.

''You can use your whole body to play!''.

Yeah, I can do that playing badminton or rugby thanks, I dont need to do it in my bedroom.

This hopefully, like 3D, will be a faceplant of a failure. Just go away, we dont need it.

Yeah, ridiculously overpriced and sure to fail.

I was actually a bit interested in Move, especially when previews said SOCOM actually controlled better with it. However I think even that is too expensive, let alone Kinect (which although is built on neat tech, will probably provide a far worse experience than Move/Wii).

The attractive girls don't overshadow the current problems with the Kinect. The price of it just exacerbates things even more. I don't want to waste money for a product that won't work half the time I'm using it.

You guys are dumb as shit. It's $150 w/game, so that's like $100. How much was that ridiculous contraption, the Wii Fit with Balance Board peripheral that sold 22.6 million and is the 3rd best selling shitting game in history (consoles)?
The Wii Fit debuted in the United States at a suggested retail price of $89.99 for the base system unbundled with other accessories. As with the Wii Game Console itself, the demand for the Wii Fit has far outstripped the supply. The perceived shortage has created a secondary market for private sellers to purchase the Wii Fit at retail outlets and sell the product for inflated prices. In June 2008, the Wii Fit was reported to be selling at an average of $175 per unit on Amazon.com and EBay.
Microsoft is going for a Hail Mary.

You're not comparing like for like there, Virus. The mass market MS are trying to tap already have a Wii and Wii Fit. The market they currently have don't give a shit.

Do not feed!

lzIqV.png

Gaming with kinect does not really interest me atm. Controlling the system using your hands and other body parts does. Imagine surfing the media centre or changing tv channels with your cock.

And it didn't end there - the presentation featured constant allusions to basement dwelling nerds and impenetrable control schemes.
Such as...?

Seriously, what happened, did he nerd rage and sweat all over his note pad? Horrible reporting.

Sooo .... has anyone tried it out yet?

Giant Bomb is doing live coverage all day. It's quite funny so far.

I find Kinect about as useful as 3D TVs, and hope it goes away just as quick.

Problem is, regardless of how crap we think it is, it WILL sell to the point where MS see it as a success.

Such as...?

Seriously, what happened, did he nerd rage and sweat all over his note pad? Horrible reporting.

maybe microsoft want to appeal to the "cool" by making fun of the "nerds"

and them will say how much they want to support the PC by the 1247458th time

I gotta go pick up Kinect Sports and Joyride soon, Adventures is pretty fun IMO.

While watching the live Giant Bomb thing all day, I've come to the conclusion that the only good thing about Kinect is the way it lets you control the dashboard and stuff with your voice. Was pretty cool that he didn't even have to touch the controller to navigate. The motion sensing is shit, just like everyone should have been expecting. The games are shit, also just like everyone should have been expecting.

I just want to play a ninja game where I have to do all the fighting like high kicks and all kinds of shit.

While watching the live Giant Bomb thing all day, I've come to the conclusion that the only good thing about Kinect is the way it lets you control the dashboard and stuff with your voice. Was pretty cool that he didn't even have to touch the controller to navigate.
Eww, **** touching controllers, that shit is gross. *flails around and sweats profusely*

That UBIsoft exercise game shows what you can do with it. That's amazing. Most of these launch games are crap. I think everyone knew that they would be. Awesome Rad Rider! Yeah...

heres the lowdown, just as Microsoft and Sony finished their motion controls people began getting tired of the Wii. 9 months later we get these stupid contraptions and now it seems like everyone can move around. its like, "wow mommy, I didn't know I could move my fat arms so much!! this is so cool." and so on. fat kids will be amazed and everyday people will be too unimpressed by next Spring. biggest flop I'm guessing.

Being completely objective, this is actually much better than I expected. I'd much rather use the kinetic and some good exercise games than a $2000 treadmill or $400 exercise bike. So it's more interesting and potentially much cheaper than a gym membership or exercise equipment.

If I had a kid, and they were overweight, I would totally buy them this. These exercise games are going to sell out like hell in the US, where the big boys be at.

If I was over someone's house, I'd rather play this than the majority of best selling games out today, like Black Ops, Halo, or Little Big Planet. It's just something original to mess around with. Maybe I just want something completely different after all these years, I don't know.

Needs moar Japanese sex games.

playing motion based games don't make you lose weights. they may help you tone a little but i don't think they're got jack against a gym membership, a swimming pool, or a treadmill. but yeah it'd be more if exercise wasn't like a choir. and for me a lot of times people keep telling me work smart not hard. and i tell them i am working smart, i don't need a gym membership

It's not motion based games like we have had before, it's Kinect. There's a big difference between sitting on a couch flicking your wrist around, and being on a yoga mat twisting around like a pretzel. Just do the 'Biggest Loser workout'. It's not even a game, it's a customizable workout program. Also, it encourages you to hold weights in your hands for an increased work out. Burn calories/lose weight. Simple.

They were doing the beginner exercises, and he had to quit because he was "dying." Squatting down and standing up repeatedly or stepping forward and back/side to side is a workout for anyone, weights in your hand or not.

EDIT: I always liked those exercise bikes with the movie screen where it looks like you are actually riding, so maybe this is just me here. I think this is better than exercise equipment for burning calories simply because it holds your attention and tracks your stats. Its even got virtual trainers and music to keep you going.

Next will be the vital signs add-on.

Warped is still right, if you honestly believe Kinect will be able to truly subtitute for example a exercise bike(Which lets you adjust the amount of resistance you get to simulate riding slopes etc) then you're just fooling yourself.

This is calisthenics for cardio. You don't use equipment except weights in your hands and maybe a board to step up and down. It's for overweight or out of shape people, you know? It's not for Arnold Schwarzenegger arms.

If you don't think you can burn calories by dancing, you don't know how to dance.

BTW:
Calisthenics are a form of dynamic exercise consisting of a variety of simple, often rhythmical, movements, generally using minimal equipment or apparatus. They are intended to increase body strength and flexibility with movements such as bending, jumping, swinging, twisting or kicking, using only one's body weight for resistance. They are usually conducted in concert with stretches. Calisthenics when performed vigorously and with variety can benefit both muscular and cardiovascular fitness, in addition to improving psychomotor skills such as balance, agility and coordination [1].

Groups such as sports teams and military units often perform leader-directed group calisthenics as a form of synchronized physical training (often including a customized "call and response" routine), in order to increase group cohesion and discipline. Calisthenics are also popular as a component of physical education in primary and secondary schools over much of the globe[2].
Push ups and sit ups are calisthenics, and yes the Kinect can track you on the floor.

EDIT:
Price went up $50 - $150 at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...p?ie=UTF8&qid=1288943786&sr=8-1&condition=new

Lowest price is $203 now. $350 coming out of New York.

I'm still seeing $150 everywhere else. Dunno why those vendors are pushing way past MSRP.

I'm probably going to buy this come holiday sales actually. I host a lot of parties with my college buddies here, so I think this will make a reasonable addition. Plus, for the first time in my college career, I have the money to spend. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

Got mine on launch day with Kinect Sports and Dance Central.

It's really fun! Especially during parties. I think most impressions I'm hearing from people is basically "oh shit this actually works pretty well" which is cool to hear. The dashboard stuff is definitely really cool. I'd say people on the fence should definitely see if a friend has one and try it out.

Disclaimer: I work for MS.

^I have a query, do MS employees get any form of bonus in the form of reduced costs when buying Microsoft products?

Back