Kotick wants to support PC gaming.

T-6000

Reaction score
But not in the way you think......

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=254426

Kotick claimed that "60 per cent" of Xbox Live subscribers "primarily" use
the service for Call Of Duty, but that Activision "don't really participate financially in
that income stream". His aim is to encourage gamers to move away from PSN and Xbox
Live and play online via gaming PCs - open platforms on which Activision could more easily
manipulate payment models.

"We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of
players playing on Live, but it's not our network," Kotick told the FT.

He said that Activision wants to break Sony and Microsoft's "walled gardens" - XBL and
PSN - "with new gamer-friendly PCs, designed to be plugged into the television".

He added: "PCs have long been used for online play, but PC gaming remains niche
when the games industry needs to widen its appeal."

Activision will "very aggressively" support efforts by Dell and HP to connect PCs to
TVs, said Kotick - reiterating comments CVG reported from E3. "We have always been
platform agnostic," he continued. "[Consoles] do a very good job of supporting the gamer.
If we are going to broaden our audiences, we are going to need to have other devices."

Honestly, I am speechless. I mean, I understand that developers and publishers
have to make money but when I am viewed as little more than a walking moneybag.......

Hilarious.

"Buy a locked down Activision brand PC now for only $3000!"

kOTICK TO RELEASE THE KOCTICK VIDEO GAME MACHINE

So Dell and HP will come pre-loaded with crapware to access Kotick For Games Live (KFGL) ... or Kotick OS.

Oh, lol.

PCs can already connect to TVs. UHHH DURRRR

Hilarious.

"Buy a locked down Activision brand PC now for only $3000!"

I wouldn't be surprised if future Activision titles (ESPECIALLY the Call of Duty series) on the PC were brought onto a digital platform service of theirs, similar to Steam. They could call it "Acti-Steam. Now with 500% more control." Required pay to play Multiplayer model, MORE $15-$20 DLC, $5 skin packs, you name it.

Actually, I think I just gave a rough description of their COD MMO that they are rumored to be working on.

"Gamer-friendly PCs, designed to be plugged into the television."

That's a ****ing console you moron.

Christ's sakes...

I can already plug my PC into my TV and monitors... AT THE SAME TIME!

Why would you want to plug your PC into a god damn low res television.

1080p televisions are a hell of a lot more expensive than 1080p monitors.

And also, how the hell do you comfortably use a mouse and keyboard in front of a TV?

Easy. You just buy the KotiCo Platform-Agnostic Gaming Chair. Comes complete with a fold-out keyboard tray and mousepad.

PC gaming with a TV screen as output is very hard for me. I like being nice and close to a smaller screen.

1080p televisions are a hell of a lot more expensive than 1080p monitors.

And also, how the hell do you comfortably use a mouse and keyboard in front of a TV?

I do it just fine when I want to use the the TV with 5.1.

lawl
business-speak always makes me giggle

Easy. You just buy the KotiCo Platform-Agnostic Gaming Chair. Comes complete with a fold-out keyboard tray and mousepad.
See, that actually sounds kind of awesome, and is therefore unlikely. I have a much easier time picturing a KotiCo Platform-Agnostic Non-Console Controller. Plugs right into your non-console PC for superior non-console gaming! Yay computers!

It baffles me how these people manage to run successful companies.

It's because the general public is full of morons that eat up this crap that they serve out.

Bobby Kotick can suck on my dangling, sweaty, salty, hairy nutsack.

Activision can join him by sucking the other ball.

If Kotick wanted to "enhance" the experience for PC Gamers, then the next PC COD titles should have Dedicated Servers (Treyarch plans on having Dedicated Server support for Black Ops, but we'll see if they follow through on this), MOD Tools, and Console Commands. But no, he won't do this because if these features weren't included then he couldn't Nickel and Dime PC Gamers. I never bothered getting Modern Warfare 2 (What hollywoodified BS that title was) and I doubt I'll get Black Ops. I can't imagine myself getting another COD title for awhile, if ever. Maybe in the future I'll reconsider the series if it gets into some interesting Sci-Fi stuff.

Now I know Kotich could also be referring to any Activision title that comes to the PC, but I don't think he's setting his sights farther than the over-milked COD series. Look at the recent title Singularity, Activision gave this title almost no promotion and no attention.

It's because the general public is full of morons that eat up this crap that they serve out.

Activision realized that they had a very potential franchise with the huge acclaim and success of the first Call of Duty. When my brother and I tried out the first and Second Demo released, it left a huge impression on us and we couldn't wait until we sunk our teeth into it when it was released. Hell, I actually had dreams of playing it up until it was released. To this day, Call of Duty is one of the most memorable games I have ever played on the PC. And though I enjoyed COD 2, it wasn't nearly as good as the first COD. IMHO, World at War is what COD 2 should have been. It seems like what drove Activision to really milk the franchise was the runaway success of COD4. It's a shame to see the COD series being milked to death, any good franchise deserves a well respected end.

Honestly, I am speechless. I mean, I understand that developers and publishers
have to make money but when I am viewed as little more than a walking moneybag.......

If he's made investors see people as walking moneybags for the ActiBlizz cause, he's already been successful just given your language here.

His ****ing JOB is to make money and increase investor interest. He is not around to sound like a saint or a developer being interviewed about artistic integrity. Guess what? Bobby is really goddamn good at his job.

because if these features weren't included then he couldn't Nickel and Dime PC Gamers. .

But the entire idea of this press release is to reassure panting money-men that he will be able to nickle and dime PC Gamers, no matter how "open" the platform is. Why are people having such a hard time grasping this? He doesn't love gamers, he doesn't love PC gamers, he loves making money for the company that pays him to make money for them. The aimless furor of forum warriors just proves his point that PC Gaming is niche and silly and it's average participant doesn't understand even the most basic economic principals.

I see nothing in here about enhancing gaming on PC. The whole thing is about how he wants to run his own form of xbl/psn, so he can make the kind of money microsoft and sony are. He's not even being subtle about it.

The aimless furor of forum warriors just proves his point that PC Gaming is niche and silly and it's average participant doesn't understand even the most basic economic principals.

Are you dense? Everyone understands it. And its why we hate him. Just because its good business doesn't mean its a noble or ethical cause.

BHC starts stating the obvious whenever Kotick comes up for some reason.

I really don't support this at all. One more machine in my room will kill me and its 73 degrees right now at night time with nothing running but the window fan. I don't have AC but I keep my PC in my PC room because there are no windows and just a door. That and if I had them all in one spot it'd be really really warm

PC gaming doesn't need to be enhanced. All we need are good games.

If Kotick wanted to "enhance" the experience for PC Gamers, then the next PC COD titles should have Dedicated Servers (Treyarch plans on having Dedicated Server support for Black Ops, but we'll see if they follow through on this), MOD Tools, and Console Commands.
I've just discovered a really handy way of determining whether or not Activision will do something: if you can't include the word "monetize" in there somewhere, it's probably a no go. :p

I really don't support this at all. One more machine in my room will kill me and its 73 degrees right now at night time with nothing running but the window fan. I don't have AC but I keep my PC in my PC room because there are no windows and just a door. That and if I had them all in one spot it'd be really really warm
Hi. I just wanted you to know that I feel a little dumber for having read this. Have a nice day.

Are you dense? Everyone understands it. And its why we hate him. Just because its good business doesn't mean its a noble or ethical cause.

BHC starts stating the obvious whenever Kotick comes up for some reason.

Isn't it obvious? I am Bobby Kotick.

It would be a mistake to assume that what's obvious to you is obvious to the average foruminte, Absinthe. The same logic applies to your statement, Krynn--not everyone hates ol' Bob for the same reason(s), and I never implied that. What does come as a surprise to me is why so many are ever so "disheartened" and crushed by news that BK put out a statement like this. It's quite easy to stop buying ActiBlizz products or to form a well articulated argument or letter arguing against the run of the mill diarrhea that comes from the mouth of your average CEO, but simply stating how ever-so-mistreated you feel is silly, particularly in the eyes the people who are interested in the [games] industry solely to make money.

Kotick is also thinking short and medium-term with his efforts to monetize everything. People don't like being price-gouged, and Activision isn't the only shop in town. In the long term this can hurt them. Of course, by then Bobby will be at a new job.

This just in: Wallstreet dudes like money, re:re: Capitalism, fwd: hl2.net.

Ah yes, clearly capitalism is incompatible with long-term profitability, just the quick buck.

Ah yes, clearly capitalism is incompatible with long-term profitability, just the quick buck.

A CEO can cash out and jump to another company on the drop of a dime, make no mistake if things start to look grim Kotick will hastily cash out and jump ship, seeing the numbers far before anyone he works above--taking along a sweet bonus, too. Making a quick buck is quite literally his job description, whether or not it fits your definition of traditional Capitalism.

Demonstrable and historical capitalism has always been about the "quick buck", particularly in Wall Street, I'm not sure which definition you're going by or what world you've been living in.

BC has been at ATVI for 20 years, he ain't goin anywhere.

A CEO can cash out and jump to another company on the drop of a dime, make no mistake if things start to look grim Kotick will hastily cash out and jump ship, seeing the numbers far before anyone he works above--taking along a sweet bonus, too. Making a quick buck is quite literally his job description, whether or not it fits your definition of traditional Capitalism.

Demonstrable and historical capitalism has always been about the "quick buck", particularly in Wall Street, I'm not sure which definition you're going by or what world you've been living in.
This is true, but invoking historical precedent and economic principles doesn't make any of Kotick's actions less parasitic or shallow. Capitalism enables this sort of behaviour, but that doesn't make either of the two "right".

The Games for Windows Live Team took a "shot" at Activision for Kotick's statement:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=254579

You know GFWL, for all their faults (and large uproar with MW2), at least Activision *BRINGS* their titles for the PC. Fable 3 will be the first title Microsoft has brought to the PC in 3 years. And by the looks of it, their last for a good while once again.

This is true, but invoking historical precedent and economic principles doesn't make any of Kotick's actions less parasitic or shallow. Capitalism enables this sort of behaviour, but that doesn't make either of the two "right".

Right, but if I wanted to debate the annuls of "right" and "wrong" I'd do so in a philosophy class or while sipping a fine red wine with the rest of my enlightened, liberal, philanthropist and most importantly elitist friends.

Right, but if I wanted to debate the annuls of "right" and "wrong" I'd do so in a philosophy class or while sipping a fine red wine with the rest of my enlightened, liberal, philanthropist and most importantly elitist friends.

And the rest of the time you'll go on supporting unethical business practices so long as they are in line with capitalism. You're a good person, sarcasm sarcasm.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but people don't give a shit about what is "good business" when there are obvious ethical issues involved. A business can still be very profitable, and make exuberant amounts of dolla dolla bills while acting ethically. Any amount of defense of an unethical act in the name of "good business" will fall flat to anybody who's got an even partially functioning moral compass.

The point of this thread was not to discuss the financial potential of nickle & dimeing people out of existence. Anyone with a highschool education knows that you will make a shitload of money doing so (and that you'll need a backup plan for when your business crumbles subsequently). We're here to discuss the ethics of it, and the potential effects it will have on the gaming industry.

It would be a mistake to assume that what's obvious to you is obvious to the average foruminte, Absinthe.

I've been with these average forumites for several years now, and I think I have a decent gauge on how they think about things. I know that they're not stupid, and I know they have a basic understanding of economics, math, and more importantly for this discussion, morality. And frankly, I don't take kindly to you suggesting otherwise.

Let's argue and stuff.

The People's Champion of HL2.net: Krynn versus Snotty WallStreetToughTalker: BHC

Any amount of defense of an unethical act in the name of "good business" will fall flat to anybody who's got an even partially functioning moral compass.

Tell that to any of the Fortune 500 companies or the lobbies which dominate our nation's politics. If it means anything to you, I totally agree that it's "unethical", but on the grand scope of things, it's a drop in proverbially overflowing blood bucket of amoralties that constitutes big business.

Back