Lammar mystery?

heer0

Reaction score
Lamarr mystery?

In the beginning of HL2, in the teleportation laboratory of Dr. Kleiner. When you're just being 'projected' to Black Mesa East, Lamarr suddenly jumps of the shafts and directly at you. You both get teleported in some random locations in the world.

I can clearly remember that Lamarr jumped on me just before the teleportation process, and the last time i saw it, it was in the middle of the desert, just before i was teleported to another random location.

But how did it managed to get back to Dr. Kleiner's lab, in the end of the Nova Prospekt chapter?

Dont know... But...Maybe you and him (her???) where teleported at a different location because of the distance between the both. Lamar was still in the teleport zone and teleported back into the lab...Just like you afterwards.
I don't think he was stranded on that beach.

From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
In Half-Life 2, the catalyst for the first few chapters of the single player campaign is the pet headcrab belonging to Doctor Isaac Kleiner, Lamarr, who wrecks Kleiner's teleporter (sending herself to a barren wasteland in the process) and so forces Gordon Freeman to travel on foot. Lamarr was named after the late 1930s actress and inventor Hedy Lamarr, as evidenced by a line issued by Dr. Kleiner just after Lamarr jumps onto the working teleporter during "A Red Letter Day" chapter, or at the end of the chapter "Entanglement". In the latter, as Gordon Freeman, Alyx Vance, and Dr. Kleiner are attempting to evacuate Dr. Kleiner's lab after it is discovered that the Combine are making an offensive sweep of the area, Dr. Kleiner states that he wishes to find and save his pet headcrab before they leave. Alyx attempts to rebutt him by telling him that there are many other headcrabs to use as a pet, and he replies by saying "There's only one Hedy." Lamarr is safe and sound in Episode One, where she makes a brief cameo appearance, causing further mischief to Dr. Kleiner during his live and unedited evacuation broadcast in City 17 (though the question of how she found her way back to Dr. Kleiner is never answered)...

I fear this question will never be revealed...

I believe that "barren wasteland" is the coast off Highway 17. Two possible theories here: the one which has already been said, that Lamarr teleported back to the lab, or that she somehow made her way back from the coast. No one would've gone to get her, so those are the only two options. The former is the more plausible.

In the beginning of HL2, in the teleportation laboratory of Dr. Kleiner. When you're just being 'projected' to Black Mesa East, Lamarr suddenly jumps of the shafts and directly at you. You both get teleported in some random locations in the world.

I can clearly remember that Lamarr jumped on me just before the teleportation process, and the last time i saw it, it was in the middle of the desert, just before i was teleported to another random location.

But how did it managed to get back to Dr. Kleiner's lab, in the end of the Nova Prospekt chapter?

When lamarr jumped out of the vent in Dr. Kleiner's lab you can see a cable break and the teleportation device get knocked to one side probably the reason you were teleported to a desert, and in Nova Prospekt the teleporter was fully functional until you were just to be teleported Dr. Kleiner's lab until the combine blew it up

Nah, don't think so. Someone probably interfered. Like Mossman or somebody else said, 'We're encountering unexpected interference!' So I believe something as minor as Lamarr shouldn't affect anything.

I think it was actualy Lamarr that interfered the teleportation process. When jumping from the shaft, Lamarr landed on some sort of a device, right above the cables. As long as i remember the situation, Lamarr broke that device...

I also remember seing Lamarr chasing some birds in the desert, right before i was teleported again, so i could assume it wasn't immobilized in the teleportation warp, like I was, and possibly never returned home when Dr. Kleiner shut down the teleporter.

There was some interference though. Didn't they (the scientists) say there's no reason he should still be porting around? And he kept being "pulled away," which means an outside force was affecting him, more than just Lamarr breaking a powerbox.

Can we rule out the Vorts? I think they'd tell Eli and the others if they were fugging around with the Teleport sequence.

It's safe to assume the vorts didn't do it. At the time, they weren't even aware of Gordon's presence until the exact moment Kleiner contacted Black Mesa East, and I don't think the vortigaunts would have drummed up the plan of "Let's put The Free Man in Dr. Breen's office" in the five, ten minutes before Gordon stepped into the teleporter. I would hope the vortigaunts had better sense than to jump the gun like that...putting an unarmed man in the citadel, in the office of the consul, especially when they likely didn't even understand what Eli was planning to use Gordon for at Black Mesa East. Vortigaunts are generally patient anyway. Plus like you said, they'd tell Eli before screwing around.

If anything interferred with Gordon it was either the Combine, unintentionally, as the citadel might've drawn teleport energies to it, or--the much likelier theory--the G-man did it. He puts you in City 17, gives you a few cryptic words that you're supposed to "make a difference." You shack up with the resistance, and right before you're sent to BME to be put inside a labcoat, you're pulled away to face the one man you're sent to kill. The whole thing reeks of the G-man's style, that's my opinion on it.

I'm still slightly inclined towards the Dark Energy reactor unintentionally drawing him towards it, although that doesn't explain the random desert location stops and why the Nova Prospekt teleporter, which probably runs on Dark Energy (not sure though... could be anything) isn't effected. Wait... maybe if it runs on Dark Energy it isn't effected by other Dark Energy portals? How long was the Nova Prospekt teleporter active beforehand, anyway?

You see him the lab again eating a crow when you come back to the lab.

well it was a week or so since the teleportaion from Nova Prospket so she may have come strolling back.

Wow, this means that these headcrabs are far more intelligent than we actualy anticipated. Returning home for such a small, clumsy creature is not an easy thing. This is a dangerous world out there, the headcrabs are in the bottom of the food-chamber, not very smart, weak, especialy Lamarr, who can't 'hire' a zombie for long-distance transportation.

And even if it could manage to return, what's the point of doing so? Food, protection, love, like the cats and dogs? Are those headcrabs able to think the humans for more than a food? This question is probably a bit offtopic, but is a part of the discussion...

Or it could be that Alyx went out, found any old headcrab, debeaked it and gave it back to Kleiner, saying "You'll never guess who I found..." and giving him a new one. Like what you do with kids when their goldfish die...

I doubt Alyx has the technical skills neccessary to debeak a live headcrab. But you never know.

Back