Lan

reap

Reaction score
Is it possible that I install my counter-strike source to my brother's computer so we can play CS:S on LAN?

I don't really think so. Might work if you both are in offline mode, but I doubt it.

Just tell him to buy HL2 bronze. Its not that pricey.

MaxiKana said:
I don't really think so. Might work if you both are in offline mode, but I doubt it.
Well that sucks. Am i supposed to buy two copies of HL2 just to play with my brother? That really sucks, I mean it is so dump to buy two copies to one house.

No it dosen't. Yes you are. It does not 'suck', it makes perfect sense that every person wishing to enjoy a game should pay to do so. Would you expect you and your brother to be let into the cinema with 1 ticket?

You actually don't buy the game, you buy a license, you need one license per computer. It's quite logical.

Right, so by asking for everyone who uses thier product to pay for it, they are ripping people off?

Remove head from arse, then post...

No, but I found it BS that my laptop (which is exclusively used be me), as well as my desktop (in which my account with all my games is locked up) can't use the same HL2... I wanted to benchmark both, but no way in hell was I going to lose HL2 to my laptop, instead of my main gaming rig.

It is. BTW, as an FYI, I'd just like to state that up here (a.k.a. Canada) the Valve EULA is null and void. They tried to reign supreme over law. Just cause I agreed to it, doesn't mean it's the law. For example, if someone makes me sign a lease with an interest rate of 50% + Prime (I know, crazy, but using an example), law reigns supreme that maximum permissible interest rate is 30% + Prime, therefor nullifying the lease (if I tried hard enough). This is taking into account if they had taken any interest at 50% APR.

Then you'd be in court decking out how much is the APR. Except you have a veyr knowledgeable judbe on your side. :D

Actually the EULA has nothing to do with this. The game you bought is a License, NOT the rights to the game. But you can play it on any comp you want, you just can only play one instance of it at a time.

Actually no it's like XP, only one instance per computer. Law dictates that one instance per computer at a time. The checking ties down HL2 to one PC, which isn't acceptable. What's even less acceptable is that say I chose to install HL2 on one PC, I am not permitted not install CS:S on another (assuming I didn't install it along with HL2). By legal ramblings it must be the same machine.

OEM software gets around it by legal technicalities/mumbo-jumbo (which I believe is saying that the ocst of OEM software is for "distribution" and that it's provided for the hardware usage).

This is a stand-alone retail software. Rules are different.

Yeah, log off of your main PC (Out of steam I mean) and you should be able to log onto your laptop and install and run. After that, you can switch between them by logging out of the one you are not using.

Can't use both at once though.

^Typed whilst you were typing your last reply

If you mean canadian law dictates this, that may be true, but steam allows it, and they certainly arn't going to procecute you for it.

MaxiKana said:
You actually don't buy the game, you buy a license, you need one license per computer. It's quite logical.
Ehh?? Does this mean that if I buy HL2 and install it to my computer it is ok? but if i buy a new comp then i have to buy another copy to be allowed to install it? It doesn't make sense. I think it should be one license per person and that makes sense.

Link said:
Right, so by asking for everyone who uses thier product to pay for it, they are ripping people off?

Remove head from arse, then post...
Hey I am not a criminal, I just asked if this is possible.

And the last part of your message was pretty rude.

I appologise, I thought you were saying that it was a rip off for everyone to have to buy thier own copy. If that is not the case, I am sorry.

And it is a licence per user. You may install it on as many PC's as you like, but you can only play it on one machine at any given time.

Is it possible to just buy CS:S license? I mean, then I could play CS:S with my brother...

Unfortunatley not. Bear in mind that although it was once a single game, it is now technically part of HL2.

Link said:
Unfortunatley not. Bear in mind that although it was once a single game, it is now technically part of HL2.
alright, i guess i'll buy two copies of HL2 then...

lol, you know its worth the money. Besides, you will be able to play all the various mods together as well if you have 2 copies. :)

firemachine69 said:
Actually no it's like XP, only one instance per computer. Law dictates that one instance per computer at a time. The checking ties down HL2 to one PC, which isn't acceptable. What's even less acceptable is that say I chose to install HL2 on one PC, I am not permitted not install CS:S on another (assuming I didn't install it along with HL2). By legal ramblings it must be the same machine.

OEM software gets around it by legal technicalities/mumbo-jumbo (which I believe is saying that the ocst of OEM software is for "distribution" and that it's provided for the hardware usage).

This is a stand-alone retail software. Rules are different.

Actually it isn't bound to one pc, you can install it on as many as you like, but unless someone logs into steam with an account that has HL2 unlocked you won't be able to play HL2 on that computer. And CSS is regarded as the multiplayer component for HL2, AND it comes with the HL2 package, it's not a seperate game per se, it is in the sense of it being different to HL2, but since it comes with HL2 when you buy it, you are not supposed to just give CSS away and keep HL2.

Link said:
lol, you know its worth the money. Besides, you will be able to play all the various mods together as well if you have 2 copies. :)
Oh I haven't got HL2 yet but I will definetely buy it before christmas. Oh I can't wait :)

MaxiKana said:
Actually it isn't bound to one pc, you can install it on as many as you like, but unless someone logs into steam with an account that has HL2 unlocked you won't be able to play HL2 on that computer. And CSS is regarded as the multiplayer component for HL2, AND it comes with the HL2 package, it's not a seperate game per se, it is in the sense of it being different to HL2, but since it comes with HL2 when you buy it, you are not supposed to just give CSS away and keep HL2.

Fair enough, but on the CS:S thing, no it'd be for myself. I have a second rig (with lesser equiment) that I lug to LANs. Which is why CS:S would have been more appealing on that PC. I'm rough with my stuff (as opposed to the rig in my sig, which I baby), you should see all the scratches and dents on it. :LOL:

Back