Last day to tell the FCC to uphold Net Neutrality

LOLS I AM GOING TO NOT READ THINGS AND CONTINUE IN MY IGNORANCE OH HAY ARE THOSE MY RIGHTS GOING OUT THE WIN--uh erm...

sorry stigmata @_@

Does this only affect the US? If it does go through then erm...it seems pretty clear that it will happen to other countries as well.

I figured this was worth a post. After all, the health of the internet is at stake. This is the message I sent in. I think it was fate that I woke up early in the morning before the deadline was up to be able to send something in. Either that or indigestion.

Neutrality is the only way!

The internet changed my life, from the moment I first logged on and explored a few websites. It didn't really bother me that the speeds I was achieving were slow, because all the information I was looking at was amazing and unlike anything I had ever seen or dreamed of before. As a video gamer, I could look up all sorts of information on new games, old games, and games that have yet to even be released. It literally blew my mind.

That was half a life ago for me. Now that I've developed my mind more and broadened my horizons of interests, there are still all those spectacular things to find on the internet. Sure, it's filled with a lot of filth and that is unfortunate, but the quality of decent things out there far outweigh the quantity of the others.

Now I'm not so sure that will happen.

Before, as I said, I wasn't bothered by the slow speeds I received a decade ago. I knew the internet, all things considered, was still in its infancy. It was growing. It was stretching its arms and legs and thriving. Learning to walk and even run at ever increasing speeds and with more sophisticated content.

But when faced with the agendas and full control of internet companies and those who would choose to influence them, I think the beauty of the internet, down to its very core is jeopardized. I don't want money to dictate bandwidth allowances to websites, especially websites I might enjoy and which help me in my every day life, whether they be small businesses or gatherings of political ideologies.

In a world where the power of the rich far outweighs the power of the poor, the internet was a bastion of hope. A destination that is completely intangible, but a sanctuary that brings all men, rich or poor, down to an even level. Changing this will destroy the very heart of what makes the internet great.

The Baseline Of The Internet

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-S. G. Tallentyre, "The Friends of Voltaire"

Freedom of speech is a universal human right, and inhibiting man from discussing the values and virtues of everything around him is downright appalling.

For centuries man has discussed and debated morals, techniques, philosophies and so much more. Scientists criticized theories and discovered whole new layers of science and unleashed revolutions (for the better).

The internet was designed with discussion and comparison in mind. ARPANET was created to quickly compare and present research results. NSFNet was a university network for academic researchers. Nowadays, the Internet is used for e-mail, forums, websites, encyclopedias and many, many more applications. All these applications have one thing in common: THEY FREELY ALLOW COMMUNICATION BETWEEN INDIVIDUALS. This is the baseline of the Internet. Breaking this baseline is breaking the core of the Internet. Do not be surprised if your censorship ideas turn against you.

Beerend Lauwers,
Steenwagenstraat 1
Belgium
Yey

Unfortunately I do not live in the 'states. But I support your fight.

God I hope this doesn't happen. I really, really, really hope this doesn't happen.

sent a message

it wouldnt let me be from the uk though.. so i just said i was from california and used the zip 90210 hehe

I saw this at Steampowered and I quickly dismissed it as being highly unlikely. However I've been checking out this thread and reality finally hit me. It's a disgusting thing and I really hope the Net Neutrality gets through.

Will this affect only America or is it a worldwide thing?

What a truly terrible thing.

The worlds media is already massively owned by private corporations with agendas to protect their wealth, now, mankind's greatest achievement (imo) is threatened. Of course, it is naturally to be expected, it's a threat to capitalism and the establishment.

I saw this at Steampowered and I quickly dismissed it as being highly unlikely. However I've been checking out this thread and reality finally hit me. It's a disgusting thing and I really hope the Net Neutrality gets through.

Will this affect only America or is it a worldwide thing?

I imagine that it will only affect people who use the internet from within the US, although it may also be that any sites based in the US will be affected. Again though, I dont know much about it.

Anyways, I sent my message before I went to bed last night.

I think any website, server, or peer connecting through an American ISP will be affected. So in a way it'll affect the entire world, especially considering how much of the Internet's content is based in the US.

I think any website, server, or peer connecting through an American ISP will be affected. So in a way it'll affect the entire world, especially considering how much of the Internet's content is based in the US.

After a while lots of people will probably move to other country's webhosting services, so it would severly effect anyone else outside of the US for the first year or so, then it would slowly sort out and everyone in the US would probably be screwed both ways through.

MAYBE one of the companies providing Internet in the US will promise to uphold Net Neutrality in their internet service as a way to get more people using their internet service

Tommorow could truly be the beginning of the end of the internet.

I sent my letter.

Gah, this is really disconcerting. It sounds like US is turning into some facist theocracy.

I can't believe I only learned of this about five minutes ago :(

It's sad that the end of the internet as we know it has come, an event of such magnitude that Communo Fasco Jesus is prolly shitting bricks, and I didn't even know about it.

Mai message:

When I access the internet, it's my time, and I get to use it my way. I use the internet for everything, from gaming when i'm bored, to researching when i'm intuitive, to quelling my thoughts when i'm scared. The vast amount of information out there has taught me so much about life and emotion, all because it was there for the taking.

When you limit the internet, you limit my pickings. God knows I might not even notice they're missing, but that doesn't mean i'm not affected. I may not ever realize how many servers i'm restricted from, but being restricted still changes my outcome when I log off of my computer.

I want the internet to remain free from restriction, so that I always have the opportunity to quell my inquisitive thoughts. I use the internet to learn about things nobody else can teach me. It's my own encyclopedia, and by restricting it, you're basically painting over some of the pages. I never want to have to think to myself "what if net neutrality stayed? How much information am I missing? What is it that I COULD HAVE learned today?".

What a truly terrible thing.

The worlds media is already massively owned by private corporations with agendas to protect their wealth, now, mankind's greatest achievement (imo) is threatened. Of course, it is naturally to be expected, it's a threat to capitalism and the establishment.

why so sad? sure you are there dancing in circles in front of your computer

So uhh... when was this put through to vote again?

Oh yeah, America, lulz.

We're sorry
Net neutrality is an issue that will affect Internet users around the world. Unfortunately, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission isn't interested in what people outside the United States have to say. Because it is their policy to only accept comments from people in the U.S., we cannot accept stories from people living abroad.

Sorry!
Hahahahaha, awesome.

So uhh... when was this put through to vote again?

Oh yeah, America, lulz.

Hahahahaha, awesome.

What? Havent you heard? Us Americans are the only ones who knows whats right for the world!

25,000 letters to the FCC is commendable. I wonder if any amount would have made a difference.

Think of all the paper and fuel we saved by using the internet, instead of wasting resources.

But it would have been more dramatic to flood their mailboxes with 25,000 envelopes!

If we win, the world can send me love letters for helping to save the world later.

When you load up this site and are welcomed by a "NO TO YOU GOOD SIR!".

Back