law suit

groovy

Reaction score
i heard that valve might get sued, why though? the code was stolen from them, it's not like they gave it away? and who would sue them? vivendi? could somebody please clear that up for me? thanks

havok would sue
probably wont though because as you said it was theft

well, havok for one. The new havok code is in there. They could sue them anyways, valve didnt really take proper measures in protecting the source if this all happened.

http://www.ipion.com

the Havok code was included in HL2, and valve signed a document that said that the code would NOT get into anyone elses hands. they would be the ones sueing.

VALVE uses the tech from havok engine what they licenced, that also got leaked so its pretty much open for the Havok guys to sue Valve.

well that's not ****ing fair if it was STOLEN, that's a load of ****ing shit... bastard money greeding fascists!

the coders of the havoc physic engine might sue them. the havoc engine is the best and biggest physics engine out on the market. (at least it was, and i hope it will be in a few months, too). they (valve), l were supposed to keep the code of the havoc engine, which they licensed for use in hl2, top secret and safe. unfortunatelly they failed... (f*** *p Outlook, i never used this pos. honestly i like steam more than outlook, though it's not really done yet.) hence they propably broke(?) the contract between them and the havoc coders.

Valve can't be sued. Stop starting these dum threads.

Originally posted by silent

Thanks.. You go into such detail about it, no one could think otherwise!

Originally posted by silent

Then tell me why this can happen....

A burgler breaks into someones house and trips on a kitchens knife. He sues the people that he stole from and won. Makes sense...

Originally posted by Ridic
Then tell me why this can happen....

A burgler breaks into someones house and trips on a kitchens knife. He sues the people that he stole from and won. Makes sense...

yeah the burgler thing, that's so ****ing gay :(

I feel bad for Valve, but if I was the Havoc guys, i sure as hell would sue them.
I mean keeping MY licensed code on a computer, connected to the net, running Outlook...
Obviously they didnt take proper security meassures and yes, i would sue them for all i could.
Dont get me wrong, i love valve and HL and hope they dont get sued:)

Yeah they could say they were negligent in theory. IF they will or not... meh...

Even if Valve is sued, I'm sure that they have some sort of insurance for that sort of thing. the Havok team and Valve would probably work out a deal other than take it to court.

Originally posted by Grimsrud
Force majeure.

Not in this case, I believe. They're obliged to take security measures to prevent something like this from happening.

I'm not a lawyer or anything but couldn't valve just turn around and sue Microsoft for having the hole in Outlook in the first place?

yeah, valve should sue microsoft if havok attempts to sue them, lose then gain something
( microsoft has more money too :D)

Originally posted by alco
Not in this case, I believe. They're obliged to take security measures to prevent something like this from happening.

This all depends on how they gained entry to valves systems. It's the one thing valve says thy still havent figured out

We know how they got out what they did when they were in how it got out etc, how it all started they still dont know

So i suppose all silly lawsuits would be pending based on this

http://oldsite.havok.com/ << they are still listed there

also they will not sue them as they will lose any business with them in the future, it could also lose them other work as ppl would be to seared of getting sued.

no one that would buy havok will not buy it now cause of the leak.

Its Valve's responsibility to keep their network secure. Not Microsoft's.

Anubis

Originally posted by Anubis
Its Valve's responsibility to keep their network secure. Not Microsoft's.

Anubis

Unforunately in a M$ monopolized world it is not the companies luxary!

Originally posted by Frizz
http://oldsite.havok.com/ << they are still listed there

also they will not sue them as they will lose any business with them in the future, it could also lose them other work as ppl would be to seared of getting sued.

no one that would buy havok will not buy it now cause of the leak.

Not necessarily true. Other game companies can look at the Havoc code for free and develop their own physics system very easily from that.

Valve got Havoc screwed over pretty good.

Valve deserves to be sued for this, they are a great company and all but this is outrageuos. Its completely Valves fault. Valve didn't keep the source code secure and didnt keep thier security patches up to date.

Valve is a great company and makes great games. I cant wait for HL2. But its thier fault and they should accept full responsibility which means compensating companies like Havok for thier losses in this as well.

And in that case, whoever took the code is royally f*cked in the a$$.

Originally posted by mosquave
Valve are no longer listed as a client on the havok site.

... for some reason that just made me really depressed.

Back