Leaked Nvidia G92 specs

Gray Fox

Reaction score
1. By Q4 2007 (Xmas) NVIDIA will be releasing their GeForce 9800 series GPUs.
Unlike previously expected the codename for nVidia's next generation GPU will NOT be "G90" but instead be "G92".

I have some info form NVIDIA insider about the upcoming G92 graphics processors.

G92 will be released in November 2007 timeframe in the form of "GeForce 9800" series.

"G92" GeForce 9800 GTX specs.

- 65nm process technology at TSMC.
- Over one billion transistors.
- Second Generation Unified Shader Architecture.
- Double precsion support (FP64).
- GPGPU native.
- Over one TeraFLOPS of shader processing power.
- MADD+ADD configuration for the shader untis (2+1 FLOPS=3 FLOPS per ALU)
- Fully Scalar design.
- 512-bit memory interface.
- 1024MB GDDR4 graphics memory.
- DirectX 10.1 support.
- OpenGL 3.0 Support.
- eDRAM die for "FREE 4xAA".
- built in Audio Chip.
- built in tesselation unit (in the graphics core"
- Improved AA and AF quality levels

Pros.

65nm process will allow for better yields and better power consumption. power consumption will be lower than that of a GeForce 8800 GTX.

GeForce 9800 GTX will be over two times faster than a GeForce 8800 Ultra in real world games and applcations.

Release date : November 2007. There will be TWO products at launch: The flagship GeForce 9800 GTX and the second fastest GeForce 9800 GTS.

price for the GeForce 9800 GTX will be 549-649 USD.

price for the GeForce 9800 GTS will be 399-449 USD.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/discussion/3953.html

Dammed I'm thinking of canceling my order of the Radeon 2900xt and buying a 2600xt, and then in January or February buying the Nvidia GTS.

But I don't know, the 2600 seems really shitty:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3023&p=1
Then again the 1900pro and 7950GT are not that more powerful and games should work with them too.
Also the rest of my new system may bottleneck the new Nvidia?

shit this really screws up my upgrade path ...stupid nvidia I dont want to wait till the new year to get a dx10 capable card. to compound the problem there's still not a lot of dx10 benchmarks on what's currently available

But what do you guys think is a 2600xt reasonable in directx 9.
And would the rest of my system bottleneck the new nvidia.
I have a q6600, with 2gb ddr2 ram.

The 2600xt is shit in those benchmarks, but so are the 1900pro and 7950gt, and a lot of folks still have them, plus that the bench is done on a C2D, while I have a Q2D.

built in tesselation unit (in the graphics core"
512-bit memory interface.
Nice to see they're taking ATI head-on. I was going to buy a 2900XT because of these points. Now I guess I'll hold out with my X1900XT til the 9800 GTS comes out.

Edit: Shit, just realized they probably won't actually be available til next year. Looks like I'm going to need a card to hold me over til then. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand for the 8800 GTS 640MB?

shit this really screws up my upgrade path ...stupid nvidia I dont want to wait till the new year to get a dx10 capable card. to compound the problem there's still not a lot of dx10 benchmarks on what's currently available

lol

I think I'm gonna wait for the 9800 gts, it sounds like a pretty good deal when it comes down to $350 or so

Nice to see they're taking ATI head-on. I was going to buy a 2900XT because of these points. Now I guess I'll hold out with my X1900XT til the 9800 GTS comes out.

Edit: Shit, just realized they probably won't actually be available til next year. Looks like I'm going to need a card to hold me over til then. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand for the 8800 GTS 640MB?

evga ..they have lifetime warrenty even if you overclock it ..also they have an upgrade program that allows you to trade up your card if something new comes out within a specific time frame ...cant remember if it's 30 or 60 days

Hazar said:
I think I'm gonna wait for the 9800 gts, it sounds like a pretty good deal when it comes down to $350 or so

how's the 7800gt holding up with that game ...err ..you know that game that's something about doorways to the opposite of heaven :E

do you think it'll be good enough to take you till the 9800 is released?

Built in audio? WHAAAAAAA!?!

Well, what the **** nVidia. Twice the power of the 8800 line? I was going to buy a 8800GTX soon, but if the 8900GTX is going to be $500 like the 8800GTX is now, my 7800GT better last through the winter.

evga ..they have lifetime warrenty even if you overclock it ..also they have an upgrade program that allows you to trade up your card if something new comes out within a specific time frame ...cant remember if it's 30 or 60 days

Three months, I believe.

Shit double post, lols.

Thank you. I'll check into it. If only I knew exactly when Crysis was coming out.

And now it looks like I may have to spring for a GTX, since the performance upgrade from the GTS isn't as substantial as I hoped.

Goddammit, NVIDIA. Of course I'm going to be even more pissed if ATI intros a new card in October that wipes the floor with the NVIDIA G92 and I have to wait to upgrade again. Grr...

I've was going to get the evga 640mb version of that card ..with mail in rebate it was $20 more than the evga 320mb version\

now I dont know what to get

I also need to decide weather to wait or not for the new cpu's that will be coming out this fall as well D:

Is anyone able to help me.
How would a 2600xt perform with a q6600 and 2gb of ram.
I just want to play games like bioshock at medium settings.
TF2, portal, ep2 also at medium.

That video card is sex in silicon form. Also, what's the deal with the sound chip? Is this going to be a composite video card/sound device? Would be nice if they teamed up with a respected audio chip manufacturer for that (Creative, M-Audio, etc)

heh me too ..I was considering a quad core but now with new quads coming out I dont want to be in the same boat early adopters were with the core duos ..specifically the pentium D

I've was going to get the evga 640mb version of that card ..with mail in rebate it was $20 more than the evga 320mb version\

now I dont know what to get

Get the 640. Just do it. I got the 320, and found that you can't really go above 2xAA in most games.

heh me too ..I was considering a quad core but now with new quads coming out I dont want to be in the same boat early adopters were with the core duos ..specifically the pentium D

I thought the quads had bus bandwidth issues?

yes, arent they just 2 core duos slapped together?

Get the 640. Just do it. I got the 320, and found that you can't really go above 2xAA in most games.

lol, look at the benchmarks I posted right above you, the 640 mb version doesn't perform much than 2% better at most :p

yes, arent they just 2 core duos slapped together?

The Intel ones are. The new AMD quadcore (proper quadcore, none of this "lols two dual cores in one mb lols") has the true quadcore.

lol, look at the benchmarks I posted right above you, the 640 mb version doesn't perform much than 2% better at most :p

It'll be able to run higher textures though

"eDRAM die for "FREE 4xAA"." huh???

are we now able to have at least 4aa without performance loss??

The 7900 GS I chose is supposed to be better then this BFG one right guys:
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr79256gsoce.aspx

The XFX has:
Core: 600
Memory 1.6Ghz

BFG has:
Core:525
Memory: 1320

The reason I ask is because I've been reading the benchmarks of the 2600xt where in the BFG 7900GS OC out outperforms it.

Also the weird thing is on the stores site the normal xfx 7900 gs is more expensive. It's 119,- instead of 105,- and it has a larger cooler, anyone know what is up with that.
http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/160/14340/geforce-7900gs.html

An onboard sound chip? WTF for?
HDMI. IIRC, the ATI 2XXX's have a similar function. It basically just means you don't have to hook up your sound card to your video card, the board will do it for you. And technically it shouldn't be a true sound processor, but more than likely just a processor to pass the sound data from your sound card through.

"eDRAM die for "FREE 4xAA"." huh???

are we now able to have at least 4aa without performance loss??

That's impossible. There are many funny things about these specs, still cant find an explaination for why the hell they would put a sound chip on there.

HDMI. IIRC, the ATI 2XXX's have a similar function. It basically just means you don't have to hook up your sound card to your video card, the board will do it for you. And technically it shouldn't be a true sound processor, but more than likely just a processor to pass the sound data from your sound card through.

But who in the world does that work? Each sound card will have its own standard so I don't see how a video card can detect your pci sound cards and work with them without problems.

Well, what the **** nVidia. Twice the power of the 8800 line? I was going to buy a 8800GTX soon, but if the 8900GTX is going to be $500 like the 8800GTX is now, my 7800GT better last through the winter.
8900???
I just hope these new cards will be shorter, it's pissing me off how long they're making this stuff. Either way I probably would end up getting a marked down 8800gts.

i dun get why the Geforce 9 series is coming out so fast. shouldn nvidia release the 8900 GS/GT/GTX and other 8 series cards? the graphics card market is overpopulated with outdated cards and this screws up ppl, like me cuz im about to get a 8600 GT for a laptop.

Didn't they release the 8800 LAST year? So it would make sense that this fall would be the new card and not the update.

Is anyone able to help me.
How would a 2600xt perform with a q6600 and 2gb of ram.
I just want to play games like bioshock at medium settings.
TF2, portal, ep2 also at medium.

If you are going to wait for the better DX10 cards then you'll have to decide if you want to spend money NOW on a 8800/2900 and then again later this winter. A 2600XT would be able to run as well that a little higher card could.

Personally I would get a X1950 pro since it is a little cheaper and faster than the 8600GS.

I know on newegg there are some X1950 pro's about the same price as HD 2600XT. Not sure how the prices are where you order from.

So Asus, about my question:
How about this XFX7900GS
http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/160/14341/geforce-7900gs-xxx-version.html
is it better then this BFG 7900GS
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr79256gsoce.aspx

The XFX has:
Core: 600
Memory 1.6Ghz

BFG has:
Core:525
Memory: 1320

The reason I ask is because I've been reading the benchmarks of the 2600xt where in the BFG 7900GS OC out outperforms it.

Also the weird thing is on the stores site the normal xfx 7900 gs is more expensive. It's 119,- instead of 105,- and it has a larger cooler, anyone know what is up with that.
http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/160/14340/geforce-7900gs.html
Since you're our resident hardware guru, do you know the anwser.

Free 4x AA? LOL WUT.

Thank you very much Asus.
Although the asus 7900 GS is the not the closest to stock, it is actually the one with the biggest overclock.
ASUS overclocks the board’s graphics core and memory from the factory with the GPU running at 590MHz and memory at 720MHz (1.44GHz effective).

That’s 140MHz faster than the stock GeForce 7900 GS on the graphics core, and 60MHz higher than stock on the memory. ASUS claims the board delivers up to 20% more performance than your typical GeForce 7900 GS card in benchmarks like 3DMark 06.
Since the XFX has an even bigger overclock it should be even better.

Back