Left 4 Dead announced - Valve does zombies!

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
"Left 4 Dead feels like one of those games that was always about to happen," writes Jim Rossignol in today's PC Gamer. "It's you and your friends versus a city of rabid mutant zombies." What's this? Why, a new multiplayer co-op survial horror game from Valve and chums Turtle Rock, of course![br]Left 4 Dead will hurl four survivor players into a mad world of apocalyptic horror and crazy dead people, asking them to complete objectives while facing a motley zombie horde including scary running zombies, horrible tongue-flicking smokey zombies, jumping leaping hunting zombies, fat hideous bubbling zombies and even huge hulking tanking zombies.[br]
1164046241_zombiepanicsmapng.png
[br]But that's not all: the horde will be controlled by an AI 'director' and additional players can leap in to control undead avatars at any point. Currently, there is no news on the internet about this anywhere, but you could go down to your local shop and buy an issue of the latest PC Gamer (unless you're a dirty foreigner, ho ho ho). No screenshots are (legally) available as yet - until then, you'll have to make do with a crude impression - but rest assured we'll keep you updated. Prepare to be zombified!

You mean no scans ;)

And no not allowed

D:

I meant is there any screenshots with the issue :(

if there is screenshots, then we will get to the scans ^^

Yes there are screens in the Mag and they look very tasty!

My take on a news post if i could've done it :)

Left 4 Dead

A cold wet Monday afternoon in the UK, a young Welshman gets home from college to find an issue of the fabled PC Gamer magazine..tentatively he opens the plastic and pulls the magazine out..he sees a face, a red face with glazed over eyes..the intrigued fellow opens the magazine to a random page and sees a hulking, monstrous grey monster staring out at hime…Left 4 Dead makes an immediate impression.

Left 4 Dead a fitting name for a ‘Zombie Alert’ type of game…yes zombies and lots of them. Turtle Rock and Valve are teaming up again to bring us loyal Valve-a-holics something brainy. Described as a ‘scaleable asymmertric-multiplayer survival horror combat game built in the Source engine’ One brain was already pulsing madly in anticipation of what it was about to soak up…

‘Survivors’ and ‘The Infected’ are about to go head-to-head in a cunning game of zombie goodness. Work with your friends and family to repel the zombie hordes or become an un-dead hunter, you will chose.

The man behind the official Counter-Strike ‘bot Michael Booth describes the AI aspect such ‘This isn’t a scripted experience, it’s a procedural experience’ The AI will be controlled by a ‘director’ system an extension of what worked so well in Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.

Be prepared for blood, guts and brains….many many brains…

*Evo’s brain zombifies*

There are... 11 screenshots and about 5 pieces of concept art which I am totally not scanning for anyone who PMs me.

s/(legall)/(legally)

[on topic]
YAY! YAY! YAY! Only Valve could make me wet my pants over a game w/zombies!
[/on topic]

.bog. changes pants

Wasn't there a mod out that does almost the same things? Zombie mod or something?

Well, some people have mentioned similarities to Zombie Master, but in that, one of the players controls all the zombies in an RTS style.

Finally a VALVe/TRS Co-op game on Steam!!

I'm very excited right now. :D

Maybe... maybe Turtle Rock all got fired, and the Zombie Master team became The New Turtle Rock Studios Formerly Known As Turtle Rock Studios and the updates have all been from old builds to perpetuate the "community-member mod" feel/farce to keep the project a surprise for no good reason?

Sounds awesome regardless. I may buy Left 4 Dead depending on how it turns out, but either way I'm still playing ZM.

ZM quite rly :p

I wonder how this will turn out, though.

Zombie Master just got raped.

Sorry guys.

Wow, way to steal Zombie Masters thunder. Though Zombie Master wasn't really progressing at fantastic pace.

Ehh... more Sven Co-op than Zombie Master I'd say, considering the co-operative element and the (mostly) AI antagonists...

...I'm sorry, but this has pretty much nothing in common with Zombie Master, besides Zombies.

From what I've read, this game uses clever scripts to dynamically change spawns. That's nothing to do with RTS play, folks.

-Angry Lawyer

Seeing the word "coop" in a valve game makes me extremely happy and grateful...

Seems pretty similar.

Both seem awesome though.

Then you never actually listened to what Zombie Master is. Zombie Master is RTS versus Coop.

This is Coop, with changing spawns for Zombies.

See the difference?

-Angry Lawyer

YES! I have been in desperate need for a Zombie game on Source. Can't take all this waiting for Brainbread and such. These even sounds better.

Yeah we see the difference. They're both coop versus hordes of zombies, AI controlled spawnpoints or rts controlled zombies. I'd say the idea is pretty similar.

Eh... not really. What you just said there makes me think zombies are the only common feature, unless there's something I'm missing- and there're a few co-op vs AI zombie games doing the rounds already.

The horse had it coming.

I sincerely hope they change the number 4 to the actual word. So very cheesy. D:

I like the idea of only 4 people. It'll help with team work if there are so few, more goals will be accomplished. For example in Brainbread, there are say 20 people, only 5 of them end up trying to progress the map, the rest usually just kill zombies.

Also it will increase the server count a lot.

I sincerely hope they change the number 4 to the actual word. So very cheesy. D:

Fits with the premise of having only 4 'Survivors' though :thumbs:

Yeah, only thing i see connecting this to ZM is Zombies

BRAIIIINS!

Mmm, i want to play as The Tank

The Tank is the ultimate offensive weapon for the infected hordes. As a zombie player you'll get the chance to play as him, as he spawns every few minutes. He can overturn cars and hurl chunks of concrete.

Yeah not sure if already mentioned but you will be able to play as more than just bog-standard 'Infected' when on their side. You got the Tank, a Hunter, Stalker and a Smoker..as well as the bog-standard (fast) zombie mother ****ers!

I'm glad to hear they are delving into creating a co-op game (definitely a growth area), but I'm a little disappointed that it's merely another shooter. Valve has the best character engine going with Source, and no one seems to looking at working with that...

I sent some PMs that didn't contain the scans and I need some comfirmation that they didn't contain them.

/cough http://hl2world.com /cough

Looks ****ing awesome. I always say that games need more co-op. It's the main reason I liked Ravin shield and all those rainbow six games.

Also, need more zombies.

and cow bell.

Very excited about this game, especially after seeing those screens provided in a HL2 world thread.

Back