Left 4 Dead at QuakeCon 2007

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Tell us more Mr Lombardi...
Left 4 Dead, the forthcoming survival co-op game from Turtle Rock Studios and Valve, will be shown at QuakeCon 2007 in Dallas, Texas August 2nd through to the 5th. The game will be playable by attendees and members of the design team will be on hand to answer questions about this much-awaited title coming soon to the PC and Xbox 360.
Hopefully we'll get to see a bit more of this highly anticipated gem. More information on the very snazzy L4D website[br]

I wish they would do a public beta. Even though I played this in March, I need to play it again! :p

You can't be enemies when one company is so far and above the other it's not funny.

I'll let you decide which one I'm talking about.

Well Valve make games, whereas ID game engine demos you pay for ;)

Not really... id is action, and Valve is about story. The Source engine also has some ancient Quake code left in it too. :)

Not really... id is action, and Valve is about story. The Source engine also has some ancient Quake code left in it too. :)
Not really...that was a bit of wild speculation based on something Carmack mentioned casually in his blog once - that Source still had some early Quake code. Carmack was wrong, plain and simple. There was never any evidence in the first place.

Source is derived from Half-Life which is derived from Quake.

Obviously code has been improved where it need be, but you can still see the similarities clearly.

Example: BSP format.

Proof: http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/bspformat.html

This document describes the structure of the BSP file format used by Half-Life 2, and other Source engine games. The format is similar but not identical to the BSP file formats of the Half-Life 1 engine, which is in turn based on the Quake 1 and Quake 2 file formats, plus that of the later Quake 3:Arena. Because of this, Max McGuire's article, "Quake 2 BSP File Format" (http://flipcode.com/articles/article_q2bsp.shtml) has been of invaluable help in understanding the overall structure of the format and the parts of it that have remained the same or similar to its predecessors.

Why remake things like that? It also would make things easier to port from your old engine to your new one.

It's sort of like this in most game engines. I'm sure UE3 is a derivative of UE2.5, and I know for a fact that Call of Duty 4 is an improvement on CoD2 (obviously), which is an improvement over Quake 3. I talked to one of the developers during the making of CoD2 and while it is based on Quake code which you can find places, it's just been heavily modified.

id wasn't always about bad gameplay. Quake is still one of the best games of all time imo, and I still highly rate Quake IIs multiplayer, character (read: enemy) and weapon designs.

Back