Left 4 Dead Preview

Kamikazie

Tank
Reaction score
Versus mode is not at all what people will expect from a "horror game." It's funny. It's hilarious fun. It brings out the twisted monster in all of us--the monster that doesn't care about cooperation, and only wants to grab a friend from across the room and bite his arm off.

it's got more in common with Team Fortress 2 than something like Counter-Strike.

A really good preview in my opinion from Shacknews.

Wow, those new ign videos and shacknews videos of the infected are orgasmic

Shacknews almost seems like a Valve spokesman. I like that website, but sometimes they adore Valve too much.

After seeing that footage I am looking forward to playing as the Infected a little more. Of course, I'll much prefer to be a Human, but this reminds me a little of Zombies in Halo 2/3 where it can often be very satisfying to slowly steath your way through the Humans defences and surprise the **** out people, or just waiting in the darkness for someone to walk past.

It was so goddamn sweet when the Smoker trapped the girl, laid her in plain view for her comrades and then when one came to help, the other guy pounced out of the shadows. That was awesome. I can see there is going to be just as much focus on team work as the Infected as there are the Humans.

Couple of new screenshots got added to the official steam page when the preorder went up, this is my personal favorite.

l4d-officialgroup-bill.jpg

L4D ends with Space Shuttle launch to escape the zombies :D

I lol'd, wouldnt be suprised if it did though :D

Yeah they said that space flight one was fake but I still want a mod for that! :D Also this is the back of the box:
200315_lback.jpg

Now they said we get a movie at the start like the episodes. I think that gray box one is just too good for graphics to be in the game. I think it's a cutscene.

Like TF2 :O

There goes my order :D

Well more money for wow then I guess :p

So you're saying you're not gonna play it because they said it was as fun as TF2?

Thank you. Thank you for confining your own stupid ass to WoW, so I do not have to ever ever play with you.

So you're saying you're not gonna play it because they said it was as fun as TF2?

Thank you. Thank you for confining your own stupid ass to WoW, so I do not have to ever ever play with you.

So what you're saying is that everything you find fun is automatically and surely fun for everyone else? Say I don't like having random events in FPS games that rely on luck more than aim or precision?

Yes, yes TF2 takes skill but it's way too slow and it has random event. I'm not saying that TF2 is all but luck. But the game has a learning curve of a retarded handicap cow. I have played Action Quake 2 for five to six years and I still feel that I haven't mastered it, I always find new jumps, faster ways to get around the map etc. In TF2 I haven't really found anything new since the first hour. And do dear bring out the oh so great achievements.

And liking social games makes you stupid, you don't like to play games that all your friends play? Did Nasa hire you to desing their probulsion rockets or did you just make the list of Steven Hawking?

My first images I got from L4D was that it would be more competitive, which is the only reason I play FPS games and since the clan games etc pretty much sucked major ass in TF2, the game never interested me.

If I want brainless "HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY" -crap, with pretty colours and easy to understand mechanics, I go play WoW.

Peace out!

Originally I was going to wait to get a job before I bought this. But then my granny sent me Halloween Money, Halloween Money!

She might as well have just wrote "Left 4 Dead Money 4 You", thanks Granny!

Call me crazy, but I like chaotic fun with friends....and that's what this will be

Wow, Airport sounds intense, especially the Terminal chapter.

Can't help but laugh at how the shotguns sound like tf2's

(Not trolling, just pointing out since I was hoping this game to redefinate the word "boom-stick")

I played this today at the London Games Expo (3 of the 4 were friends) and it really is ****ing fantastic and incredibly polished. I'll write more tomorrow, but it exceeded my expectations.

I was very dubious about it beforehand, now this is a must buy. Videos don't really do it justice, and I also noticed a lot of improvements since the early videos. You can throw all those 'Counter-Strike with zombies' comparisons out the window: it's totally different.

Only got to play once (queue was 30 mins long) so it was difficult to tell how the AI director worked. We did see the two previous teams fail the same level we played (and subsequently rocked), but there's so much mayhem it's very difficult to tell how much of an effect AID had. You'd probably have to play the same level twice or more before you could make a proper comparison.

And I played the 360 version so can't comment on what it will be like for the PC. The spec requirements are probably justified, though; there's a LOT on screen at once and lots of nifty HUD effects and great lighting throughout. I am contemplating whether to upgrade or to buy a 360 for it and Fallout 3 (it is worth it for L4D alone). The 360 version works well enough; controls are natural and it looks great (this was no doubt at 1080p on HDMI). Only slight issue I had was the sensitivity didn't seem to go low enough so aiming is a bit slidey.

Infected mode wasn't on show, though. :(

(...) You can throw all those 'Counter-Strike with guns' comparisons out the window: it's totally different.
Since when did Counter-Strike stop having guns ;)

Left4Dead is already pre-ordered here. It's now just waiting for November 6th, and experience the joy of multiple orgasms.

Since when did Counter-Strike stop having guns ;)

Left4Dead is already pre-ordered here. It's now just waiting for November 6th, and experience the joy of multiple orgasms.
lmao, I think I was getting the Fallout 3 'Oblivion with guns' reference mixed up with the Left 4 Dead 'Counter-Strike with zombies' comment.

I often find aiming in FPS games a little slidey on my 360, I think I notice it because I play so many games with keyboard and mouse, that the deadzone on the sticks gives me this jarring sensation of slow>slow>SUPER FAST movement.

Have you seen the revised system specs they put out recently? they toned the GPU memory down to 128 instead of 256, demo would give a good indication though.

Great to hear you enjoyed it, November 6th cant come soon enough!

Yeah but I may still need to upgrade my CPU, plus the graphical effects are a massive WANT on. 128 will cut it, but if you can afford it I would advise going higher.

I'm eager to see how/if the demo runs on my current system.

Arrgg ... I was at the game Expo and didn't see this! *ties noose* :angry:
I went on Tuesday and totally missed it, so I don't blame you. They only had 1 set of 4 machines tucked away in the '18' section in the middle of the floor in a mass of about 10 or 12 Fallout 3 machines.

There was even one guy who passed it with his mates, they asked what game it was and he replied: Mirror's Edge!!!!??? If I hadn't been in line I would have been tempted to report him to the games police or something.

I only found out because I checked the brochure thing afterwards and it claimed L4D and Fallout 3 were there, so I double-checked on the Wednesday and lo and behold, there it was. It really wasn't that well advertised, though, I would have expected big posters and stuff. If you're pissed you can always mention that it was poorly signposted when you do the Expo feedback questionnaire in your inbox.

Back