Left-Behind: recruiting

n1ck

Reaction score
Hi there to all,

My name is Nick, founder and project leader of a new Half-Life? modification called Left-Behind.
Left-Behind is a first person, single player modification.
--------------
STORY
--------------
You play as an student from the "Black mesa" highschool, who tries to fight his way trough those awfull long schooldays. Just another boring day at the city of "Black mesa" and you're rushing to school because you overslept AGAIN. When ariving at school the sky turns green and a explosion is heard just out of the city. You're knocked out by the blast and when you wake up the nightmare has begun. Creatures banging on the baricaded doors and windows, howling to get in.
Locked up in school "could it be worse?", afraid and not knowing you try to survive and escape this nightmare

-------------
CONCEPT
--------------
Left-Behind shows the other side of the story that happend at Black mesa. What happend at the city of Black Mesa, people who didn't know about the experiments etc.
We are trying to create a real life game experience, by that we mean: there will be no rocket launchers, big guns, ... you'll find some melee weapons, small fire arms and and smg sort. Other than that it's up to you to manipulate the enviroment to outrun and "defeat" your enemies.

---------------
Main info
--------------
In about a week the website will be launched and open for all to pay a visit or discuss on the forums... (url will be updated)
As the mod is in early stages, a lot has to be done. I've spent a lot of time from past months thinking about it and making changes until finaly i'm posting my idea and seeking help now.
Basicly i've put here in big lines about the mod because I dont want to reveal about the game and it's feature's to much for the audience so far .

At the moment i'm seeking for:
* Level designers
* Texture/skin artists
* Modelers
* Coders
* Concept artists
* When other postions come up i'll update here.

If you are interested in the mod you can aply by sending me a PM, email to [email protected] .
Please include some information about previous work and some screenshots. Also some general information about yourself (how long you are doing what you do, age, ...) would be nice!

But if you have any questions or something else please reply or contact me by sending an PM here or send an email to: [email protected] (also MSN)
Hope hearing from you soon.
(And hope i can welcome you on our crew.)
Thanks for reading.

Best regards,
N1ck.

One of the better efforts, but I'm sorry to say that I'm still going to have to fail you. See you next semester!

Sounds good, but why do you need modelers and coders for a Half-Life mod that's essentially a mappack?

@ 6Three: if i had people like you on my team i'dd be sure to fail. but lucky for me i dont have people like you.
(don't want to be rude or something but why judge so early? i would love to hear you talk to the guys of counter-strike source when they came out with their idea!)

@crispy: it isn't a map mack... so i'll need coders for editing the menu and certain scene's in the game. as modelers i want to implent idea's of my own. not just another copy of half life? things if you catch my drift.

@ 6Three: if i had people like you on my team i'dd be sure to fail. but lucky for me i dont have people like you.
(don't want to be rude or something but why judge so early? i would love to hear you talk to the guys of counter-strike source when they came out with their idea!)
The guys who did Counter-Strike Source were Valve, and they got the idea from the mod some of their employees previously worked on: Counter-Strike.

it isn't a map mack... so i'll need coders for editing the menu and certain scene's in the game. as modelers i want to implent idea's of my own. not just another copy of half life? things if you catch my drift.
So really it's not a lot of programming, it could be an ideal project for a teach-yourself programmer to start.

Also now we know it's not a first-time total conversion mod, so it's not doomed to almost certain failure.

Its a good basic concept that doesnt involve alot of coding, which makes this mod a lot less likely to fail.
Also its presented in a good way which makes your concept stand out from many that look more like a shoping list then a recruitment post...

(i still miss pictures, concept images, pre-visualizations or something to get the feeling and mood of the mod better across to the people that might want to help you.)

My question to you is; what do you do except "lead" the mod.

Oh and dont take 63 that sirious, but he has a valid point. We get alot of mod concepts here and of what we've seen all have failed.

on a small side note: "its the internet... a home to alot of morons. As a "lead", be friendly to those who give good feedback, ignore the retards (not you 6three), good PR is important."

-dodo

You obviously have no idea who he is, and that makes me laugh.

Pic's, concept images are all on there way so just a litle more patient and they'll see their light here ;)
As i mentioned in my previous post i didn't want to sound rude or something. I know there are a lot of mods who die verry soon. (i've saw manny mods die, interesting concepts but hard to realize. After a lot of thinking and making adjustments i think the time is right to start.)
But i think it's to soon said you'll fail, arguments based on no ground. I'm putting all my time and energy in this thing. If i was rude (not my intention to be) i'm Sorry for that ^^.

As for critisism, i love that people are trying to help and point at flaws of mistakes. So all constructive critisism is welcome :)

Except being the mod leader, i do nothing but hanging back in my chair sipping on a wisky/cola with a big sigar. (i work on the advertising as on the video's, ... also i do a litle mapping and testplay but as for mapping their is unfortunate so litle time because i have to put a lot of time in managing and bringing the mod in a "good light" on the web to the people...)

@Dodo: thanks for your compliment :)
@yorick: as you may have noticed i'm just a "newbie" here at the forum so, NO i don't have any idea who 6Three is ^^.

@everyone who reads: sorry if the post is a litle mixed and has no structure... just noticed ^^.

Yorick is now my facebook friend!

@yorick: as you may have noticed i'm just a "newbie" here at the forum so, NO i don't have any idea who 6Three is ^^.

All the more reason for you to not say things like "if i had people like you on my team i'dd be sure to fail. but lucky for me i dont have people like you."

All the more reason for you to not say things like "if i had people like you on my team i'dd be sure to fail. but lucky for me i dont have people like you."
I agree with that...
although I'm not that much on this forum I do know him a little, thereby I agree with this.
And with that kind of attitude and judgements on people who just criticize your plans wont do you any good with recruiting new people...

and btw don't mess with the developers of counter strike!! still love that game although I'm not playing it much, but still fun to own people who think they're better than you :D

as i said it wasn't the intention to be rude or something. but i sounds else than i had in mind ^^

I dont mind when people have critisism, i can learn from my mistakes...

Well, n1ck wasnt messing with counter-strike... He just said Yorick would rape "Minh Le" and "Jeff Cliffe" if they'd post their initial idea of CS here.

Jeff & Minh; "Hi there, we've got this cool mod idea with like terrorists and swat teams... anybody interested in helping out? I bet this mod would be the most played multiplayer thing evar lolz.."

Yorick; "**** you. Get out. now >: O"

Jeff & Minh; "wha-

6three; "Rape paper scissorz lawl ****"

Jeff & Minh; "ok nevermind, its a pretty lame concept anyway..."

-dodo

Well, n1ck wasnt messing with counter-strike... He just said Yorick would rape "Minh Le" and "Jeff Cliffe" if they'd post their initial idea of CS here.

[...]
wasn't making a point of it ^^, just liked to say that :D

and to n1ck:
succes with getting people, I'm not capable of helping you cause i got all my own ideas that wonder around and that i'm working on.

It's damn hard getting people,.. Tip: make some sjit which people can see and think "hey thats cool!" or "nice idea i'll have a look", create your site and recruit people. think this is the best way since people that do want to help will make 1 post here and will be taken when the next concept comes

Good luck mate ;)

Jeff & Minh; "Hi there, we've got this cool mod idea with like terrorists and swat teams... anybody interested in helping out? I bet this mod would be the most played multiplayer thing evar lolz.."

Yorick; "**** you. Get out. now >: O"

Jeff & Minh; "wha-

6three; "Rape paper scissorz lawl ****"

Jeff & Minh; "ok nevermind, its a pretty lame concept anyway..."

-dodo

rofl. That's probably exactly how that would have gone.

Update

As promised...

BlackMesa_City4Draft.jpg

Just a litle to keep you warm... More will come soon (as i'm getting up the moddb profile)

Check out our Mod profile on Moddb.com -> Click here <-

If the link isn't prohibited, sorry for that and i'll remove it.

Grtz

depends what you had for a drink the other night ^^

litle art for our main character:

LeadCharacterConcept2.jpg

PS: recruiting for LEVEL DESIGNERS, MODELERS, TEXTURE ARTISTS with experience!

I may not be reading this correctly, but what exactly do you (you as in n1ck) do in this project?

Except being the mod leader, i work on the advertising as on the video's, ... also i do raw mapping and testplay but as for mapping their is unfortunate so litle time because i have a fulltime job. But as winter comes it get's quieter on the job so i have more time to put in the mapping.

I own a bicycle / motorcycle shop in belgium... The shop passes from father on son for a few generations now...

Can you get me any sweet deals?

lol sure ^^ but i don't think you'll be happy with transportation payment ^^ as it would be comming from belgium....

hahaha, still though even if it seems like someone is 'flaming' you, I think thats an expression, Its got to be a bad idea to attack them back if youre actually trying find people to help you out here.

The proportions of your main character are very off.

You do know 'Left Behind' is the name of a crappy Christian RTS?
In fact, it shouldn't even be called an RTS.
That's how crappy it is.

Back