Legal or Illegal???!?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Ok i bought half life2, excited and all i opened it straight away and started to install it. i found out it comes with cs-source YOU beauty i thought to myself, and big update to counter strike. apon finishing the installation and creating my account i went on to play half-life2 for awhile 2.5 hrs passed, i though i might try out cs-source a few hours played on that. Now every weekend or so my friend comes over to use one of MY other computers to verse my accross LAN. I thought this is a great time to play cs-source. i started to install it on my other pc, i got it all set up and found out how to start a LAN game, so i hosted on my computer. Logging onto the other one using the same account (only way to play because i registered with that account only) my friend went into the game and tried to connect to my LAN game. And wat do we find happened? sorry this account is already in use etc.... :angry: WTF i bought that game and i cant even play it on both of my computers? So feeling angry i went around looking to see if other people had the same problem. i found out that there is a cracked version of the game (cs-source) that only requires a steam account to play, so what im here to ask is would it be Legal or Illegal to download the cracked version ONLY so i can play on LAN. after all i did pay for the game and i didn't expect to run into this issue...

don't use a cracked version. Just start it up on offline mode on both computers.

Illegal to use the cracked version, but in this instance (IMO) not really immoral. With all the Steam bans I'd suggest you be really careful on cracks&downloads at the moment.

A 'better' solution is to take Steam offline and you should be able to play then - check the Steam support. It's a pain in the ass though.

You ca only be online with one account on one coputer at a time.

Ive already started them both offline and ive tried online (for LAN) it just keeps saying that my account is in use, one person says illegal, if so, do u think there is another way of getting CS-source to work on LAN using the same account, i would like to know how the internet/gaming cafes' do it cause a friend of mine goes there and they seen to have the LAN set up in away that u dont even need to log on with steam to play, u can just well...play

They use a different version of tha game. Only legal way to do it at home is to buy another copy.

is there any possible way to obtain this version of the game without buying the game again, it really set me bak buying this game (on only 14) and i was ment to be saving for a holiday in a fortnight from now but i so badly wanted this game and it left me with a bit of a hole in my pocket......:(

It's possible for two people to play on their own version of the game over LAN.
It's also possible to play on your PC or another PC when you log into your account.

What can't happen is for different machines to login with your account at the same time.
Merry Christmas.

Perhaps your friend could buy the game, instead of you trying to get another copy.

Huge Cohones said:
Who cares, illegal stuff ownz

It's people like you that push the price of software up for forcing gaming developers and other software companies to buy expensive anti piracy software. If you all would start buying stuff prices would drop.

And if you saw yesterdays news, you'd see that getting the cracked version doesnt pay. Valve banned 30,000 accounts with illegal versions of the game. So as soon as you get it on that account, expect it to be disabled forever :) you were warned, so think about it carefully.

MaxiKana said:
If you all would start buying stuff prices would drop.
Yeah, right :thumbs:

Prices are dictated by what the market will pay. They ain't going down because we'll all buy anyway. Anyway, back on topic : Are we saying that it's not possible to play CS:S on LAN with one account+one copy of the game? I've never got it working, but I thought I was just doing it wrong.

MaxiKana said:
It's people like you that push the price of software up for forcing gaming developers and other software companies to buy expensive anti piracy software. If you all would start buying stuff prices would drop.
But you have to see that it's anti-piracy systems like steam that drive people towards pirated games.

I myself discovered bittorrent when I was trying to get my legally bought cd onto my mp3 player so that I could take my music on holiday. My computer just couldn't read the tracks! I won't risk taking my cd's to the beach because the sand carried by the wind is already enough to scratch it beyond use, something that happened to my stGermain cd back in 2002.

I remember when games allowed you to play with a friend on lan when only one of you had bought the game (I think warcraft did this).

I agree that piracy is wrong. But I wish that once you bought it, you were allowed to do whatever you want with it, no restrictions, except for commercial use of course. The actual way of copy-protections, restrictions, authentications, etc, is simply machiavellic - the ends are supposed to justify the means. And it invites all the people who have but the slightest problem with it, to try and find out how piracy works and how to obtain a free copy through these renegade channels.

I sometimes wonder if those big buck music/movie distributors didn't WANT us to pirate. I mean - objectively - free music, games and movies is quite an incencitive to start learning about "the internets". Maybe the distrubutors planned all this. In order to make money out of internet, they needed (back in 1995) most people to actually be able to use a computer, and hence something that would really motivate the youth to learn how to use it. Also, the economy would profit a lot from an internet savy population, so there could have been external pressure on those distributors to just let the pirating happen. Just maybe. I don't know.

sidenote: enjoy the turkey tonight!

yeh ok so i tried it again with the orginal copies and wat do ya know, it still dont work, i tried using my second account but then to realise that it says i dont have the game on that account, is there no possivble way to register the game with both of my accounts?

Nope, because you don't have to copies, its rather odd that you can't LAN, I can play in a LAN game with the same account, I use it to test skins, its helpful because I can see what they look like 3rd person. If it doesn't work I guess you'll have to do without, and don't get an illegal version, you'll end up getting your IP traced, and both your accounts banned.

start the computer hosting the game in offline mode and then connect other computer to the account on steam.
I used this to play CZ with bots against my brother for awhile.
I actually told Valve about the loophole, but they never fixed it. It still works for me.

Ok thanks alot guys, im gonna try this all again as soon as ive got the spare time, at the moment with christmas and all......neways thanks again

Back