lets go linux

furiousV said:
i dont wanna hit f8 every time i switch on my pc to manually select win2k hard drive.
what would a s-ata hd device be called in linux, and can a bootloader recognise it? now, would my Maxtor 80GB be sda (dont nkow where i got that from) or hde?
In Windows 2000, right click on "My Computer" then under the "Advanced" tab, select the "Settings" button under Startup and Recovery options. From there you can change the boot loader and menu settings. If you can't figure it out there, you can manually modify the boot.ini file in your root partition. Let me know if you have to do it that way, I can give you instructions.

serial ata hard drives are still classified as IDE hard drives, just with a different interface. For this reason, they will most likely be listed as hd rather than sd. sd is reserved for SCSI interfaces, although USB flash drives will also be registered under the sd interface.

:cheers:

furiousV said:
Muhahahaha, hl2 apparently works in FC3, maybe the 2.6 kernel if thats got anything to do with it.
Oh really? Cool, I was using Linux before HL2, so I didn't know. I don't think the kernel has anything to do with it, though.

No I don't think it's because of the 2.6 Kernel, it's Cedega version (update, 4.2).

im not having much luck with the bootloaders.
my S-ATA drive, which is on the 3rd channel in BIOS is like this in windows boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

any ideas on how to get standard IDE drives going, i think channel 1 il have to check, Master, and its the 3rd and 4th partition used by linux, the 1st 2 by windows
any ideas really appreciated

I've installed linux, but I can't see the other hard drives that I have in my computer.. What do I need to do to see those because I have all of my music/games and a bunch of linux stuff on those.
I'm using Fedora Core 3.

If they run on Windows they use Fat32 or NTFS. That means you can't see the stuff on those partitions when you are on Linux. So the best thing to do would be to boot in Windows and burn all your stuff on CD or DVD and then go back to linux and put all the stuff back on the linux partition (Ext3).

That sucks, and I was hoping I'd be able to save my cds, oh well.
Are you sure that there is no way whatsoever to see my other drives and partition in Linux? (they are NTFS)

Thanks

lolz when I can't even run Tux Racer with an fps above 5 on FC3. Suppose you're right about the driver support.

Nvidia has a whole department dedicated to developing linux drivers. Fedora core 3 had problems installing the drivers, and fedora 2 had problems with my audigy 2. I'm gonna wait for fedora 4, or try the test.

Back