lets test your ingenuity and creativity...in a zombie outbreak

jverne

Reaction score
inspired by http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138037
and watching 28 weeks later.

so the situation is:

1. you need to cross a 40 km path trough urban/suburban medium to low infested area on foot, bicycle or small motorcycle (as in a scooter or smaller). the travel is intended to be both in daylight and night time (24 hours)

2. zombies are medium fast, less than in 28 xyz later movies but faster than those slow moving wrecks. let's say you can outrun them with a standard running speed (the speed you run at 1000m or 1400m), but stamina is an issue since zombies have more of it.

3. you travel alone

4. you have at your disposal most things a city can provide in terms of equipment.

did i forget anything?

you are free to choose your equipment but stay in the limits of the rules...no tanks or teleportation devices...you know what i mean.

me first:

weapons

FN P90 PDW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Oz....halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138037
(light, precise, big ammo clip, reflex aim)

or

HK MP7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk37....halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138037
(even smaller, according to specs very precise, pistol mode)

and a wakizashi strapped on my back
wakizashi.jpg

protection

Motor_Bike_Suit.jpg

but i have to figure out how to protect the head...other than that it's practically unbiteable (hehe). although some modifications would be needed to allow for better mobility.

night vision

an-pvs-14.jpg

a small bag for ammo, energy bars, water, first aid (but i'm not sure how that would help you very much with zombies around), some tools for cutting fences, picking locks,...)

HK MP7...2.0 kg
wakizashi...0.8 kg
motor suit...8 kg
ammo, tools, food and other equipment 4-5 kg
-----------------------------------------------
total approximately 15 kg (my school bag in 7th grade weighted in average 15 kg)

you're probably saying to yourself..."some people have too much time on their hands"...actually i should be studying for an exam...but it's so boring.

anyways...let's see your creativity :thumbs:

So we're talking a city in a country without tight gun control? i.e. gun stores easy to find.

So we're talking a city in a country without tight gun control? i.e. gun stores easy to find.

yup...the usual hick city

oh..just kidding about the hick part...not. :)

Let's all go to the ZombieCon!

Scooter with blades attached to the hubs of the wheels, much like a war chariot.

The supposition that an average city would house readily-available automatic weaponry such as submachineguns, as well as tech like NVGs, and yet we are limited to a mere three modes of transportation...highly dubious. But Darkside will play your game.

My mode of transportation will be the Honda Big Ruckus, a 250cc 4-stroke scooter, topspeed about 70mph, gas mileage 60.5mpg--more than enough to last me through a 40km trip. Acceleration is not a problem because this is a zombie invasion; I won't need to stop. I will travel light, packing only a simple bug out kit:

three water bottles
a Nightstar flashlight
Eton FR400 (radio, LED, siren, cellphone charger)
toiletries
a map
trail mix
canned fruit
a small hand towel with utensils and a can opener rolled inside

These items will be placed in two saddlebags and a tunnel bag on the scooter itself, so that I am not encumbered. I will also be wearing a kevlar motorbike suit with mesh gloves and athletic guards.

As for weaponry, I've got my bastard sword, a batarang, and while I'm picking up the athletic gear I'll grab a nice steel bat.

Clothing:

If available, kevlar wraps around the weakest joints (knees, wrists, neck) and heavy padding elsewhere. Baseball mask (the ones the ball receivers wear) with padded mask underneath.

Food:

Greasiest available. Grease prevents you wanting to do the eats more frequently.

Weaponry:

Katana for short range. Also, extremities are spiked.
9mm handgun of any type.

Maneuvering through the city is the easiest task, if you navigate through the most hidden and unreachable spots of it.

The supposition that an average city would house readily-available automatic weaponry such as submachineguns, as well as tech like NVGs, and yet we are limited to a mere three modes of transportation...highly dubious. But Darkside will play your game.

My mode of transportation will be the Honda Big Ruckus, a 250cc 4-stroke scooter, topspeed about 70mph, gas mileage 60.5mpg--more than enough to last me through a 40km trip. Acceleration is not a problem because this is a zombie invasion; I won't need to stop. I will travel light, packing only a simple bug out kit:

three water bottles
a Nightstar flashlight
Eton FR400 (radio, LED, siren, cellphone charger)
toiletries
a map
trail mix
canned fruit
a small hand towel with utensils and a can opener rolled inside

These items will be placed in two saddlebags and a tunnel bag on the scooter itself, so that I am not encumbered. I will also be wearing a kevlar motorbike suit with mesh gloves and athletic guards.

As for weaponry, I've got my bastard sword, a batarang, and while I'm picking up the athletic gear I'll grab a nice steel bat.

well yes it's an supposed city. i'm not sure about the SMGs but NV goggles are no big problem.

i limited transportation for apparent reasons. covering 40 km with an automobile is no big problem. on foot it's a whole different story.

your transportation vehicle is not allowed, it's too powerful. 40 km would be easy as pie for that kind of vehicle.
at maximum a small scooter is allowed (40kph top speed), but even with that is would be immensely easy. i'm not even counting the possible obstacles you would encounter. then it's on foot. a motorbike would draw a lot of attention you really shouldn't be getting.

Clothing:

If available, kevlar wraps around the weakest joints (knees, wrists, neck) and heavy padding elsewhere. Baseball mask (the ones the ball receivers wear) with padded mask underneath.

Food:

Greasiest available. Grease prevents you wanting to do the eats more frequently.

Weaponry:

Katana for short range. Also, extremities are spiked.
9mm handgun of any type.

Maneuvering through the city is the easiest task, if you navigate through the most hidden and unreachable spots of it.

actually a katana for multiple incoming enraged zombies is not that practical at all, wielding it in close quarters is difficult. that's why i want a wakizashi

Protection:
40028974hi7.png

Hehe. Don't ask.
I also have: 1 gas mask, 1 light CNB kit, elbow + knee protection

Uh, I'm probably sure that I can run 5 minutes to the regimental headquarters of the CP stationed in this city, so I'll be able to somehow get a K1 SMG.

Food: Hardtacks, + water bottles

Transportation: Bicycle

If I can reach my friends house (less than 2 hours of walking), I'll be safe. He lives in a military base, with bunkers, trenches, AA flak guns and whatnot.

Protection:
40028974hi7.png

Hehe. Don't ask.
I also have: 1 gas mask, 1 light CNB kit, elbow + knee protection

Uh, I'm probably sure that I can run 5 minutes to the regimental headquarters of the CP stationed in this city, so I'll be able to somehow get a K1 SMG.

Food: Hardtacks, + water bottles

Transportation: Bicycle

If I can reach my friends house (less than 2 hours of walking), I'll be safe. He lives in a military base, with bunkers, trenches, AA flak guns and whatnot.

lol

your friend lives on the border of the demilitarized zone?

Nah, actually, I have no idea what they do over there. I visited only once. I've saw machine gun nests, barbed wire, trenches (most likely for training). There was also a 'explosives school' for the engineers.

I just hope it ain't project Arrowhead.

In addition, flashlight and basic survival kit. Zombies would have a hard time biting through cnb gear, and I can grab some kevlar or armor at the local police station.

your transportation vehicle is not allowed, it's too powerful. 40 km would be easy as pie for that kind of vehicle.
at maximum a small scooter is allowed (40kph top speed), but even with that is would be immensely easy. i'm not even counting the possible obstacles you would encounter. then it's on foot. a motorbike would draw a lot of attention you really shouldn't be getting.
Bah, you said scooters. But very well, I will take a smaller scooter capped at 40kph. I will be at my destination within an hour. :p

Obstacles wouldn't be too much of a problem as you could weave through congestion and even take to the sidewalk. As for attention, simply being alive will draw zombies to you.

actually a katana for multiple incoming enraged zombies is not that practical at all, wielding it in close quarters is difficult. that's why i want a wakizashi
Practically speaking, swords period aren't a good weapon against zombies. Things with edges designed to stab or slash are useless against the undead unless you're squaring off against them 1v1, perhaps maximum 1v3, and you have enough upper arm strength to separate their heads from their bodies. Even myself, the only reason I'd bring my sword along is because I have it; it's unlikely I'd ever put it to any use. Bludgeoning weapons like bats, shovels, hammers, those kinds of things are what you want. A simple steel rod, like a shower rod, would suffice better than a bladed weapon.

Use old LPs you don't want anymore, throwing them at the zombies' heads?

I'd appeal to their sense of reason and convince them that humans and the undead can live side by side.

Practically speaking, swords period aren't a good weapon against zombies. Things with edges designed to stab or slash are useless against the undead unless you're squaring off against them 1v1, perhaps maximum 1v3, and you have enough upper arm strength to separate their heads from their bodies. Even myself, the only reason I'd bring my sword along is because I have it; it's unlikely I'd ever put it to any use. Bludgeoning weapons like bats, shovels, hammers, those kinds of things are what you want. A simple steel rod, like a shower rod, would suffice better than a bladed weapon.

how so?

for a blunt weapon to take effect it needs speed (swing), thats not easy when you have 3 or 4 zombies attacking you.

wielding a wakizashi is extremely easy and cutting flesh with it is not that hard. you could cut their extremities fast to slow them down a bit or stab their heads.

I'd appeal to their sense of reason and convince them that humans and the undead can live side by side.

you'd do a zombie (female/male)?

I'd just pull out the RPG I always carry in my backpocket and fly to the moon.

how so?

for a blunt weapon to take effect it needs speed (swing), thats not easy when you have 3 or 4 zombies attacking you.

wielding a wakizashi is extremely easy and cutting flesh with it is not that hard. you could cut their extremities fast to slow them down a bit or stab their heads.
Cutting flesh. You're attributing a weapon used for living humans against something like an undead. Have you ever used a wakizashi before, in practice? Have you ever trained with a dummy? Cutting through bone and sinew isn't going to be like, "Oh I just swing my arms really hard and hope for the best." So unless you've got the kind of strength and precision to slice through the gaps in the vertebrae to actually sever the head of a zombie, don't expect it to work, not with a horizontal cut.

The cutting flesh aspect of it isn't going to phase a zombie. They don't care.

So you're not going to be beheading zombies all over the place, swords are pretty much out. So what do you want? You want something you can deliver a crushing, vertical strike with. No pun intended, you're going to want to brain a zombie. Best thing for that is a bat, or a shovel, or a hammer or a pick if you've got one (both of those solve the problem of cqb). Actually, they make this thing they use on cows, it's like a pneumatic plunger with a spike, THAT'S what you really want. A fellow zombie survivalist I've spoken to was talking about converting them into a more compact version. That's the ultimate zombie weapon right there. But that's not something you'd find in a city, so stick to the picks and hammers.

Also, scooter. Goes fast. Not likely to be stoppped by zombies. Combat averted. :p

Cutting flesh. You're attributing a weapon used for living humans against something like an undead. Have you ever used a wakizashi before, in practice? Have you ever trained with a dummy? Cutting through bone and sinew isn't going to be like, "Oh I just swing my arms really hard and hope for the best." So unless you've got the kind of strength and precision to slice through the gaps in the vertebrae to actually sever the head of a zombie, don't expect it to work, not with a horizontal cut.

The cutting flesh aspect of it isn't going to phase a zombie. They don't care.

So you're not going to be beheading zombies all over the place, swords are pretty much out. So what do you want? You want something you can deliver a crushing, vertical strike with. No pun intended, you're going to want to brain a zombie. Best thing for that is a bat, or a shovel, or a hammer or a pick if you've got one (both of those solve the problem of cqb). Actually, they make this thing they use on cows, it's like a pneumatic plunger with a spike, THAT'S what you really want. A fellow zombie survivalist I've spoken to was talking about converting them into a more compact version. That's the ultimate zombie weapon right there. But that's not something you'd find in a city, so stick to the picks and hammers.

Also, scooter. Goes fast. Not likely to be stoppped by zombies. Combat averted. :p

the Japanese blades are designed not to get stuck too much. but no melee weapon will protect you from more than 4 zombies.
stabbing is the key here.

the Japanese blades are designed not to get stuck too much...

stabbing is the key here.
But the point is that even if the blade doesn't get stuck it isn't going to do anything. You can't stab a zombie, mate. Your blade goes in and...oop...they don't care! The stab doesn't even register! And you're not going to stab through brain; the cranium's too thick, especially if you're being mauled. You wouldn't be able to maneuver your arm into a position where you could jab down or straight, right through their brain. You're better off reversing your grip and using the handle to crack their skull.

Stabbing does nothing to a zombie dude. Trust me. I'm giving you advice here. I'm trying to advise you so you don't get eaten. Or worse, turned.

The only way to really kill a zombie with stabbing would be a long thin blade into the eye socket, up under the chin etc. to get at the brain.

Rather simple-
Ghillie Suit-
back1.jpg

with an SR-25-
aja_rightside.jpg

equipped with a mounted thermal scope-
TWS1_land_warrior.jpg

and a back up MP5sd-n-
y2004001.jpg

The only way to really kill a zombie with stabbing would be a long thin blade into the eye socket, up under the chin etc. to get at the brain.
Not always. It takes more to destroy a brain than creating a narrow cavity in it.

**** your guy's katanas, I want me a baseball bat and a lot of grenades!

Seriously, unless you guys are so skilled with swords that you can easily decapitate several attacking enemies who dont stick their next out for you, then a sword is useless. Blunt damage is superior.

For me, my list of stuff would be:

Nightstar flashlight (the one you power up just by shaking it)
Aluminum baseball bat
Kevlar clothing if possible. Probably find some kind of metal that i can tape onto my arms and legs for protection against bites and scratches on my limbs.
Shotgun with as many shells as my bag can carry with everything else in it. Rapid firing weapons arnt nearly as effective as a shotgun blast for zombies.
3 or 4 bottles of water
Couple of Granola bars
Any easily readied food that is edible out of the package (mmmm lunchables)

Thats probably all I would take for that journey. Light enough to move quickly with, and not make much noise, which is probably the most important thing.

wait OP, where the hell do you get those sorts of weapons/gear? Thats supposed to be one of the main downfalls of a zombie outbreak is that most people are not going to have those type of weapons and protective gear at a whim.

A real zombie survivalist uses his resources. You usually don't find stuff that good just lying arround.

I think the real question should be posed "what would you use that is within your home or neighborhood?"

EDIT: God dammit, didn't see that you'd limited Darkside.

Oh well, i've already written out this whole thing. How about you make me traverse 400km instead of 40km. I'm 100% positive that my setup would be able to handle it.

Hell, i'm fairly positive that my setup could last me at least a good month or two. Not on the same food and water of course, but in general.

I'd dog my ass to the nearest Yamaha dealership and try to jack a WR250F.

wr250f1280hw4.jpg

Small enough bore for you?

250cc four stroke enduro bike, weighs about 230 lbs dry, and is nearly bulletproof reliability wise. Isn't street legal though, but I doubt that'd be an issue in a zombie invasion.

I'd take a DRZ400e if your game allowed though. It'd be much happier at higher revs than the Yami.

75499drz400eso9.jpg

Obstacles? BAH! A good rider could go over a fricking car with either bike.

While i'm at the bike dealership, i'd find the largest camelback they carried and take two. I'd also take a few spare tubes, a few cans of C02, 1 bottle of fork oil, 4 bottles of motor oil, and 1 bottle of brake fluid. I'd take a spare chain and a set of brakepads too, just for good measure.

I'd also grab a set of aluminium bionic elbowpads and kneepads, a nice set of Trials boots, and a nice set of MX gloves. Full race gear would obviously be too bulky, and considering that I won't be doing too much extreme riding, the elbowpads, kneepads, gloves, and Trials boots should cover most if not all get offs. MX helmet and goggles too.

I'd figure out the most common socket sizes on the bike too, and steal those from the dealership too. I'd also grab two tireirons and the kind of stuff you'd need to work on any bike. Crescent wrench, vice grips, all that random crap you need laying around. Oh, i'd grab a nice sized set of bolt cutters too.

I'd pop the seat off the bike, and tape the two tire irons to the bottom of the seat. The C02 cans and the sockets would all get tossed into the airbox, alongside one ratchet. All the other extra junk, aside from the chain, would get tossed into a front fender pack, and then get strapped down to the front fender.

The chain would get strapped on tightly to the left side of the swingarm, and the bolt cutters would get strapped up tightly to the right side.

All the fluid bottles would be stacked one ontop the other, and then tapped up till they were nice and sturdy. I'd lay the stack flat ontop of the seat, trace its outline onto the seat, and then cut out the seatfoam, lay the block inside the recess, and then cover up the recess with spare seatfoam they'd have laying around at the dealership.

Anyway, i'd find a large, generic brand backpack at the local grocery store and stuff it with nothing but and canned and packaged foodstuffs. Two bags of chips, and a shitload of spam and chicken noodle soup.

I'd also raid the pharmacy before leaving. Take 2 bottles of Tylenol + Codeine, a bottle of Zyrtec, 2 bottles of Vicodin, and 1 bottle of at least 4 different kinds of anti-biotics.

I'd stay away from the other medicated stuff that could kill you if you don't properly diagnose yourself.

The Tylenol + Codeine would be fore headaches and fun (1 bottle for headaches, the other for fun :E), the Zyrtec would be my generic antihistamine (because you NEVER know when an antihistamine could come in handy), the Vicodin would be for general pain medication (and fun :E), and the anti-biotics would be to keep general fleshwounds from getting too nasty (i'd grab a tonne of different ones since I don't know what would help what).

So, in the event that I take a spill on my bike, I can just pop some Vicodin and Antibiotics, and i'd be set to keep riding till I make camp and can actually deal with the pain.

Grab what, maybe 10 of the largest bottles of water I can find in the store, and strap them all down to the rear fender of my bike. 4 bottles hanging off the right side, 4 hanging off of the left side, and 2 laying flat ontop of the fender itself.

One camelback would get ducktaped to the back of the backpack, the other would get strapped down to the front fender.

Next would be heading down to the nearest gun store. I'd check their ammo stores, and see what pistol round they stock the most of, then grab a pistol that fires it (most likely a 1911 or a 92Fs). I'd grab a bunch of belt mounted bags (you know, like those canvas packs the military uses in their ALICE systems?) and stuff them with pistol rounds.

I'd stuff the gun into the front headlight shroud, so it'd be sitting right up next to the instrument cluster. If anything gets in my way, just pop the bike in neutral, bring her to a halt, and i've got my gun right where I need it. Don't need to even get off of the bike.

I guarantee you that all the rifles in a gun store will be locked up, and in a zombie outbreak, there'd be no way to bust the locks off of them in a timely manner.

Fill up on gas, twist the throttle, and go. Only real problem would be that the bike's suspension would be fairly loaded at this point, considering all the equipment, but since we're talking urban environment, that wouldn't be too much of a concern.

Considering that i'd be in an urban area, finding fuel or engine coolant shouldn't be an issue (I chose to take the motor oil with me because bikes take a different formulation than cars). All the bike tools i'd have on myself would cover most of the random tooling you'd find in a zombie invasion. Bolt cutters would cover locks and fences.

That'd be all I really needed, i'd be less interested in killing zombies, and more interested in getting the hell away from them, in which case the bike would be far superior to bulky automatic weaponry.

Btw, @zombieturt, I could find all of that shit within 10 miles of my house.

Chariot drawn by many cats. Many, many cats.

Find some blunt objects and some snacks and water and I'm sorted.

BTW, @ OP.

You'd overheat and dehydrate in no time trying to run around in a road racing suit.

. zombies are medium fast, less than in 28 xyz later movies but faster than those slow moving wrecks

Are they power-walking?

I'd take a scooter and strap on a bunch of swords to it.

F*ck that, I would go for a chariot :D

i'm not sure about any meele weapons that would be very efficient, they all have the issue of "reloading" them (slow to hit again)

about the motor suit overheat...i mentioned it would need some modifications like small holes allover the body for heat dissipation but small enough to prevent biting.

traveling 40 km with a motorized vehicle is just too easy, theres no need for ingenuity here, that's why i said walking or bicycle. hell even with a bicycle oh urban terrain without obstacles it would be no huge problem. you'd just have to be careful of frontal and side attacks.

Melee weapons are more effective and quicker to reload in close quarter combat than rifles and pistols though.

Are they power-walking?

I think I know what he means, I sort of imagined a limp-run. You know what I mean? Kind of like when someone struggles to run, but still manages to? Makes sense if you think about it though.

An oilrig platform is the ultimate zombie fallout fortress. Isolated from the rest of the world and away from the mainland, on-board powerplants, infirmaries, living quarters. All you need to do a sail a boat full of supplies to your rig of choosing and you and your family can live there for the duration of the catastrophe. Easier said than done, I know, but still the best place to go. The workers will have probably abandoned the rig so they can be with their families, so the chances are good that there will be little un-dead resistance. If there are other "living" non-infected occupants already on-board, you can work together to create your own little unique colony.

Places to avoid:

1)Hospitals

2)police stations

3)any type of government building, or military base

The reason? These will likely be the places most of the still living people will "panic" to during the initial phaze of the catastrophe.

Weapons and armor to use and weapons and armor that are useless:

Find: any type of pistol basically. The best would probably be a single 9mm or .45 handgun of any make. The idea is to travel as light as possible until you reach the rig. Once your rig of choosing is safely secured and if there are other willing occupants, you can send teams out to go scouring for more supplies. pick one or two guns and find as much ammunition as possible. Kevlar armor would actually be more useful against panicy gun-weilding idiots than the zombies themselves, so definately find some kevlar if possible. Also, baseball bats or other blunt skull-crushing instruments would be an effective close-quarter melee weapon.

Don't bother: Swords of any kind is useless. End of story. You aren't exactly going to go around like Beatrix Kiddo and start slashing heads off of zombies. It ain't gonna happen, so don't even try. Only keep a combat knife for utility purposes or just in case a zombie gets too close for comfort, you can stab it in the head, but the idea is to try and stay away from the zombies for as much as possible, so keep you distance. Medival plate mail is also useless. Think about it, that stuff is already quite heavy, now imagine several hungry zombies tugging away at the plate seams. Yeah. You'd be canned food instantly. Chain mail, maybe, but not plate mail. Don't bother with fire either. Sure, fire would eventually kill zombies in large groups, but while they are burning, you are stuck with no way out of the inferno. Not a good idea. Shotguns are not a good idea either. They are most effective at close range, but blowing the heads off of zombies means that you risk infection by exposing yourself to the flying gibs and blood. 9mm or .45 pistols are the best choice. Light, and a much cleaner kill without exposing yourself to flying gibs and blood. Rifles are only good for distances. You could keep one for clearing the way from the distance, but ultimately, pistols are lighter, more manuverable, and overall much more effective. Just find some modern pistol you can fit with a scope and stalk if you need some distant clearing.

i'm not sure about any meele weapons that would be very efficient, they all have the issue of "reloading" them (slow to hit again)

lol wut?

Considering I live in Canada, firearms would not be easy to come by. I'd probably settle for something like a shower curtain rod, or preferably a firepoker. I'd stock up on any painkillers/antibiotics I could find, as well as some bottles of Hydrogen peroxide and bandages. Some sort of protective bodysuit would be helpful, but I don't think I would have an easy time finding that. A headlamp, with some extra batteries, any knives that I can carry, and a hose to siphon fuel. Some non-perishables and a couple of nalgenes, and I'm ready to go.

I would choose to use the scooter, but it would be difficult to navigate in some places, especially in places where cars have been abandoned.

Not quite true. A katana is ideal for multiple targets - infact Samurai were trained how to take down multiple foes charging at them as quickly and as efficiently as possible. 3 or 4 people can be chunkified with a few instinctual movements in a second or two.

I'd take a katana, some kind of bike leathers - nothing too heavy, pump action shotgun, pistol, and a bike - something lightweight. I'd also fashion some kind of spikey knuckle dusters - shredder/vega/predator stylee - and have boots with steel toecaps - preferably with nasty cutting bits on them. Oh, metal plates over my knee caps and elbows and some grenades. For my face i'd have some kind of leather balaclava, perhaps from a sex shop, and goggles to stop blood getting in my eyes.

Not quite true. A katana is ideal for multiple targets - infact Samurai were trained how to take down multiple foes charging at them as quickly and as efficiently as possible. 3 or 4 people can be chunkified with a few instinctual movements in a second or two.
Are you or jverne samurais? Didn't think so. :p Hollywood makes things like this seem much simpler than they really are.

Back