Lewis Hamilton mania

mortiz

Reaction score
This is a question for Formula 1 fans: Are you hoping that Fernando Alonso goes on a bit of a winning streak to kill some of the Hamilton madness? All I see on T.V. now is Lewis Hamilton this and Lewis Hamilton that and I'm starting to get a little tired of it. Sure, he's a great talent and as a Brit I guess I should be cheering him on, but if everyone kisses your ass for long enough and proclaims you the best sooner or later you're going to start believing it. I've noticed a tendency from him in the past few weeks; he is becoming quite arrogant. This is to be expected of course, he's pretty young and he's having to deal with a lot of expectation but at the same time he's actually starting to believe he's the second coming of Senna or something.

Does anyone remember Jacque Viellneuve? I was pretty young when he first entered Formula 1 but even I remember the hype that surrounded his opening and second season. It mirrored Hamilton's opening season in a lot of ways, with him getting a bunch of podiums and a few wins and in his second season winning the championship, after which of course he didn't record another win. Everyone was saying that Jacque may become an F1 great, as it turned out his career petered out. Compare that with Schumacher who worked his way to being the greatest by starting in the lower teams and working up, eventually moving to Ferrari who were nowhere when he joined, he molded that team into the most dominant force F1 has ever seen. I think this ability to pull your team up to the required standard is what makes great drivers, we haven't really seen Lewis out-performing his care yet or struggling with the car and still pulling something out the bag. That makes me think that he could end up more like Viellneuve than Schumacher.

I hope Hamilton does become a great, and as he ages he'll mellow out, just like Schumacher did. I think though that this early success is going to his head and the media is compounding that. Alonso I think is a great driver, and we saw him out-performing his car on numerous occasions last season, and in someway I think it'd be better for Hamilton in the long run if Alonso wins the championship this season.

Hami-Mania is going to be dangerous for his career. If he has a bad race i hate to think how the press will react

D:

Would love to see him in a poor car. Alonso started in the Minardi and totally out-performed the car. Schumie did the same with the Jordan when he started.

Truth be told, he is a great talent, though on the par with Alonso/Schumie/Prost/Senna etc...too early to tell what he'll be like.

The only reasons he is out-performing Alonso is because Fernando is still new to the team/tyres/management style etc. while Hami has been with them all his life in effect.

Still want Massa to come and win the title :D

Did you see him crash his old gokart in London today? It was the one that sold on the eBay charity auction for 42,000 quid. He was just demonstrating it to its new owner when he crashed it. Oh well, so much for his squeaky clean record!!!

Still want Massa to come and win the title :D

Massa :D \o/

TBH, I don't care WHO, but I want SOMEBODY to kill his flame.

The battle will make F1 interesting again. These 6 second Hamilton gaps are making an already boring sport a snooze fest.

Back