light question

ArmedCanadian

Reaction score
In my map i would like the prodigy type lights hanging from the ceiling. i remember this has been discussed before but i cant find the post. can someone in detail please describe what i have to do to make them. thanks

hang and swing when you shoot them? and from you saying progidy, im guessing that its a counter strike source map right?

if you're doing it in Half Life 2 SP or DM go to the link above.

If in CS:S

use this tutorial

Rope Workaround in Counter-Strike: Source

by sixsixtysix with a big thanks to Rof

Table of contents [showhide]
1 Introduction and Reason for this Tutorial

2 The entities that we'll be using

3 Placing the entities

4 Naming the entities

5 Filling in the entities' information

6 Final words

Introduction and Reason for this Tutorial
This tutorial will allow you hang entities from ropes.It is is a workaround for a known rope issue is Counter-Strike: Source. The issue being that you can't give a keyframe_rope a parent or else it will go to the map's origin (0,0,0) in-game. After posting a message over at The Snark Pit (http://www.snarkpit.net), a kind soul by the name of Rof posted an example map. Now we can all hang things from a rope!

The entities that we'll be using
A. move_rope

B. keyframe_rope

C. phys_lengthconstraint

D. env_spark

E. func_physbox or prop_physics_override (for this we'll use a physbox)

F. logic_measure_movement

Placing the entities
A. Place the func_physbox wherever you'd like it to be hanging from.

B. Place the move_rope wherever you'd like your rope to start from.

C. Place the keyframe_rope just inside the object you're hanging.

D. Place the phys_lengthconstraint in the same place as the keyframe_rope. Select and drag the small white circle to the move_rope's position.

E. Place the env_spark in the same place as well.

F. Place the logic_measure_movement off to the side for easy access in the editor.

Naming the entities
A. It's best if you give all the entities related names. For this tutorial, we'll use "box".

B. Fill in your names like this: func_physbox = box, move_rope = box_rope, keyframe_rope = box_rope_keyframe, and env_spark = box_spark (no need to name the phys_lengthconstraint unless you're using a phys_constraintsystem or somesuch).

Filling in the entities' information
A. Set move_rope's Next KeyFrame to box_rope_keyframe.

B. Set env_spark's Parent to box.

C. Set phys_lengthconstraint's entity 1 to box.

D. Set logic_measure_movement's Entity to Measure to box_spark, Measure Reference to box_rope, Entity to Move to box_rope_keyframe, and Movement Reference to box_rope.

its hard to understand at first, yes, and its from a shitty site....but it gets the damn job done.

if you want swinging lights in cs source you have to find the right model and use a phys_ballsocket instead of using ropes and puleyconstrians and things like that

If you want a real rope you need a logic_measure_movement. If you just want the effect, CS:S has a light model that has a rope built into it in the prodigy folder.

Slackiller explains here the ballsocket/prodigy light thing.

Video tutorials are Satan.

Raeven0 said:
If you want a real rope you need a logic_measure_movement. If you just want the effect, CS:S has a light model that has a rope built into it in the prodigy folder.

Slackiller explains here the ballsocket/prodigy light thing.

Video tutorials are Satan.

like i keep telling people...use the tutorial!!!!

Sure, use the tutorial. It'll tell you in as few words as possible what to do.

Quiz time: why did you place the env_spark? What does logic_measure_movement do and why do you need it? What does the "small white circle" in the phys_lengthconstraint represent? Do you know anything more at all about mapping than before you read the tutorial?

Back