Linux, Windows XP and me...

Ren.182

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey all.

I may like to install Linux for general use onto my system along with Windows XP for gaming.

Just got a few questions (or a lot, i dunno, thinking as i type now :p)

Will Linux run on my current system? I don't want to have to purchase anything extra at all.
Will it effect the other computers on my network at all? They all run Windows XP and get their internet from me. Will they still be able to get the internet if i'm in Linux?
Will i be able to share files between the two installs? Like movies, music, documents and images which were originally saved in Windows XP, and vice versa?
Is it hard to install Linux? I have a pretty good knowledge on computers, but never really used a Linux OS before.
What would be the best Linux version to go with?
I know i probably wont be able to do this because the drivers were meant for Windows. But if i plug my webcam in, will the drivers on the CD that came with it work on the Linux install?
Is driver support any good for linux from nVidia etc (drivers for my hardware)
Is there good software for Linux? Like word processors, music players, movie players etc?
And i think my last question is... Is it really worth it? Or should i just stick to Windows XP for everything? I think it may be my best option, but i guess i feel like a bit of a change.

Thanks for any help. I know theres a lot of questions.

-Linux should work on your computer.
-They should be able to get the internet from you. If not, try setting up a static ip system.
-You will need to download some drivers. Windows NTFS drivers(for linux) and Linux EX3 drivers(for windows).
-Not really
-For starting? Go with Ubuntu
-I don't know how good of webcam support linux has. You will probably have to find some drivers online. Driver support for linux isn't exactly top notch.
-Nvidia > ATI on linux. However the graphic drivers are not really a smooth process to install. I had to follow a "how to" in order to do it. First time ever.
-Linux has equals of Windows in Word processors, for music players you will have to find a Mp3 Codec online. Equals in Music and Video players. It has a messenger for MSN, AIM, Yahoo all in one(If this sounds cool, there are several for Windows aswell).

If Windows is doing good for you theres no real reason to switch. Linux dosn't offer any "omgz software pwns windows". There basically equvilants of eachother except Linux is less supported with drivers. In the end it only becomes tedious to switch between Linux and Windows.

If you really want a change find a new Windows Shell or a new Windows browser.

Hmm, sounds like it wouldnt be too bad if i did go to linux. I may give it a try on a spare hard drive i have this weekend if i get the chance.

Thanks Cole :)

linux

A friend reccommended me onto PcLinuxOS. SO far its been my favourite flavour of linux.

It uses KDE (so doesnt look all stupid like ubuntu)
It has a WHOLE bunch of media players (audio/video etc)
There is a different cd download for Nvidia and ATI with good working drivers.

Overall, I think its much better for a first time user than Ubuntu because you dont have to install anything to get going with it.

yes, Kubuntu, but its still rubbish cos it comes with next to no media software. And you have to install Nvidia/ATI drivers yourself.

Adding multiverses and apt-getting them isn't exactly rocket science.

It's not rocket science, but it isn't easy if you're new to Linux.
I'm no idiot, and I'm still struggling to get codecs installed more than a week after I installed Ubuntu. Mostly 'cos there is no up front, in-your-face explanation of how to do it, how it can go wrong, and how to fix it. At the moment the Ubuntu archives seem to be slow if not totally down. You have to figure out this for yourself, and then figure out how to change the sources.list, and what to change it to.
The problem is the in-built help to Ubuntu is very limited, and asking for help online can be hit and miss, especially if you don't actually know what is wrong.

Which is why Windows is nice. It makes everything simple.

Anyway if you really want something that has a lot of stuff go with Fedora Core (are they on 4 or 5 now?). I mean A LOT of stuff. As in I hope you got a DVD and a DvD Writer.

Yeah, going to stick to Windows. Going to make a Media PC/File server hybrid type thing with my own case and everything.

*goes off to post*

Thanks though guys :) <3

Back