Long interview with Lombardi posted at IGN

Jadewolf5675

Reaction score
http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/518/518017p1.html

Its insider only, but there were a few things noteable things he mentioned:

-The Administrator character from the first HL1 is infact Dr. Breen, I know there was some discussion about this on these forums before.

-Vortigaunts play a *major* role as one of your main allies

-SDK will be released hopefully before the release of HL2, and if not, at the same time

-Lombardi thought the Tomb Raider movie was good.

Only new thing here is the thing about Lombari liking the Tomb raider movie.

FS! I put my mouse over the thread (where it shows you the first few words of the thread) and it came up with the spoiler aswell!!!!

Ah! Ahum.. Insider, yeah... I still remember the good old days when IGN was free. *sigh* Nice find though. :cheers:

Sooo, whos an IGN insider who wouldnt mind just copying that into these forums eh!? :)

For a small fee you can use my account~

It's around a 30 minute video. I would just type everything out, but you know, nah

oh, lol. Its a vid...

Purhaps someone can host it. I hate insider acounts so much I couldnt care less what legal issues there might be... :p

If I had 32MB's of webspace I'd be happy to host it!

Oh yeah its a video :p

Link Removed. Sorry, I hate to do it, but linking to IGN's property isn't acceptable.

Jadewolf5675 said:
http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/518/518017p1.html

Its insider only, but there were a few things noteable things he mentioned:

-The Administrator character from the first HL1 is infact Dr. Breen, I know there was some discussion about this on these forums before.

-Vortigaunts play a *major* role as one of your main allies

-SDK will be released hopefully before the release of HL2, and if not, at the same time

-Lombardi thought the Tomb Raider movie was good.

Damnit, i just can't keep myself from looking at spoilers, DAMNIT :(

Mr.Reak said:
Link Removed. Sorry, I hate to do it, but linking to IGN's property isn't acceptable.
heh, lol, I managed to get it from there anyway. It was a good interview, very long. Even though we've heard most of the stuff before it was still interesting.

Who is the administrator?? I dont remember one in HL1... can anyone clear things up from me.. we do we hear or meet the admin in hl1??

Well, I am sorry, didn't really think about it being copyrighted. Oh well, to people who missed it, there are no new info, so nothing to worry about it.

And of course apparently Gamespy Founder's Club is NOT covering an IGN Insider subscription. So now i can't read it :(

DelaZ said:
Who is the administrator?? I dont remember one in HL1... can anyone clear things up from me.. we do we hear or meet the admin in hl1??

The Administrator is Dr. Breen. He's the guy on the big screen in the HL2 videos saying "Welcome to City 17". You never meet him in Half Life, but you hear about him from the scientists like "I knew this would happen, but the Administrator just would not listen". A lot of people assumed the G-Man was the Administrator but infact they are two different people.

so is someone gonna host the video's....i could if someone send them to me through MSN messenger if u got the video add me [email protected] and wen i come online send it and ill host it on a site.

I thought it was a pretty big clue that he was the administrator when in the E3 presentation Breen says "I thought so much of City 17 that I elected to establish my administration here" :p

That wasn't a massive surprise.

marty905 - Be careful with that because it is actually illegal. IGN wouldn't be too happy with you if you were giving a large group of people the option to dodge their subscription fees.

No, that was the pre-E3 interview.

You mean the ones that you "trick" by using those ball pheremones (spelling) ?

Thought those were ant lions.

Either way, sounds exciting.

Or, in the words of the great Captain Maverick, OUTSTANDING!

If no-one's done it by tomorrow, I'll write up a more detailed highlights review of the video.

Baal said:

Either way, sounds exciting.

Or, in the words of the great Captain Maverick, OUTSTANDING!

Nah the alien slaves (vortigaunts) were the green humanoid guys that charged up and fired a green lightning attack thingy in Half-Life 1, they were being forced to fight and towards the end of HL1 you see them not attacking you, and they appear more intelligent than ur average alien, in HL2 they appear to be working with freeman and co.

Baal said:

No, the ones that shoot lightning from the first game.

[EDIT]: Lobster beat me. :)

So if Breens the administrator of city17. What was he administrating before that, during the period of HL1?

Bicka said:
So if Breens the administrator of city17. What was he administrating before that, during the period of HL1?

i dont think it had an administrator before breen. to me it looks like him and the combines have just taken over the city by force. either that or it was built form scratch. it will be interesting to learn what the cities actually are and what theyre for. man i cant wait to play the game!!

Bicka said:

Dr. Breen was the administator at Black Mesa. First he was the administrator at Black Mesa, now he's administrator at City 17.

i think, since breene was the admin in hl1, thus making him the g-man's boss, well, i think sometime in the timeline after hl1 but before hl2 the g-man went against the ideas of dr.breene and wanted gordan freeman's help to bring breene down

Lobster said:
... in Half-Life 1, they were being forced to fight and towards the end of HL1 you see them not attacking you...

I just replayed HL1 and finished it the other day, but I don't remember them NOT attacking you on sight at any point in the game.

Care to clarify that a bit?

omni said:
I just replayed HL1 and finished it the other day, but I don't remember them NOT attacking you on sight at any point in the game.

They don't attack you when in Xen. Interloper is the chapter name I think.

omni said:

When you cause the cascade and are teleported to Xen, you see the creatures standing around doing nothing.
At the end as well I believe you see them, again, standing around...

Edit: Nah just checked, its only at the begining that they don't attack.

Bicka said:
When you cause the cascade and are teleported to Xen, you see the creatures standing around doing nothing.
At the end as well I believe you see them, again, standing around...

Edit: Nah just checked, its only at the begining that they don't attack.

Actually, there is a part at the end of the game when the Vorigaunts aren't attacking you. The first time is when your outside of the alien factory and you see two Vortigaunts working on some machine. Then when you're in the factory, in the first area, they won't attack, but in the second area of the factory they will.

It's pretty obvious when they don't attack because they, well, don't attack. Of course, if you were in the habit of shooting first and asking questions later then you may have inadvertantly shot one of the passive Vortigaunts causing them to defend themselves.

Mountain Man said:
It's pretty obvious when they don't attack because they, well, don't attack. Of course, if you were in the habit of shooting first and asking questions later then you may have inadvertantly shot one of the passive Vortigaunts causing them to defend themselves.

Yup, they won't attack you in the first part with the packaged grunts on the conveyer belts.

I always shot them first though, so I never found that out until the third time I beat the game. :p

Mechagodzilla said:
Yup, they won't attack you in the first part with the packaged grunts on the conveyer belts.

I always shot them first though, so I never found that out until the third time I beat the game. :p

Aha. I usually shoot first, but I think in first alien factory level those floating controller mobs attack, so I just assumed all aliens were hostile. Gonna check it out now.

Dr Breen says he has an 'administration' in the videos, thats no spoiler.

Im still wondering who 'lm' is though, if anything.

Remember Vortigaunts are Slaves controlled by Nihilanth. If you ever wondered what the green bracelets and head bands they wore were for, now you know. Creatures with 3 arms (slaves, grunts, controllers) are from Nihilanth, the others are from Xen and are less hostile.

Lombardi liked the Tomb Raider movie?! Hopefully at least not the second one. *shudder*

Yeah, no surprise about Breen. Or the Vortigaunts if you watched the new e3 vid. What I'm wondering though is how Breen landed the job. Did he get it because of his years of administering experience? Did he submit a resume?

UKchaos said:
Dr Breen says he has an 'administration' in the videos, thats no spoiler.

Im still wondering who 'lm' is though, if anything.
Secretary who typed it up; their initials.

methinks. lol. In a memo or letter secretaries always put their initials somewhere so it can be traced (at least that's what we were taught at school in business and keyboarding classes)

Back