Looking for a good single player RPG...

Lucid

The Freeman
Reaction score
Alrighty, I'm officially sick of FPSes...
and I'd like to expand my horizon into the realm of RPGs.
Recommendations anyone?

Oh and please, Don't list any MMORPGs...and I'm talking about ones that are already released and for the PC.

xlucidx said:
Alrighty, I'm officially sick of FPSes...
and I'd like to expand my horizon into the realm of RPGs.
Recommendations anyone?

Oh and please, Don't list any MMORPGs...and I'm talking about ones that are already released and for the PC.

#1 I'd have to go with is Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year edition:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239339.asp

after that, KOTOR 1 & 2
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/227256.asp
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243499.asp

Jade Empire is also an excellent RPG recently released but its currently XBOX only.

Fallout 1&2 are excellent. Probably the best CRPGs out there. Seeing as you are a FPSer, Morrowind might be more up your alley. Just be sure to go get the Better Bodies mod, otherwise it's ug-ly!

I'm planning on buying KOTOR once I have finished GTA, but should I go straight to the second one, or get the first one first... in other words which is better?

I'm going with KotoR 1 first, seeing as it's the cheapest so far.

Thanks for the replies ya'll.

Hm, NeverWinter Nights is pretty good, they have like 4 games out or something, but it has both multiplayer and singleplayer. I've never played multiplayer though, it looks like it sucks.

I know I've been bleating about how good they are for a while, but Baldur's Gate 1&2 are great single player RPGs. Some say that the top-down isometric view looks so dated, but I thing it's beautiful.

BG is sword & sorcery, dungeons & dragons type fare, so if you're slightly turned off by that but still open to the whole isometric thing you could try Planescape: Torment. It's more of the same but slightly different in style, slightly more linear, and more story-driven (awesome the first time through, but a bit less replay value than the BG series).

I've played Fallout 2 but not 1. As houndeye says, it's a great and deep character rpg, but if it's your first real foray into the world of rpgs then it might seem so dated and clunky that it's a bit off-putting at first (in graphics terms it really is bland). It might be better to break yourself in gently with something a bit more showy and accessible first.

Reginald said:
I'm planning on buying KOTOR once I have finished GTA, but should I go straight to the second one, or get the first one first... in other words which is better?
They are both really good games. But you probably wont understand the 2nd one until you play the 1st one. With that said, LucasArts rushed the 2nd one out the door and the last fifth of the game feels severely rushed in comparison to the epic that was KOTOR. If they didn't rush them then i feel pretty secure in saying that KOTOR 2 would have been better then the first.

Laivasse said:
I know I've been bleating about how good they are for a while, but Baldur's Gate 1&2 are great single player RPGs. Some say that the top-down isometric view looks so dated, but I thing it's beautiful.

BG is sword & sorcery, dungeons & dragons type fare, so if you're slightly turned off by that but still open to the whole isometric thing you could try Planescape: Torment. It's more of the same but slightly different in style, slightly more linear, and more story-driven (awesome the first time through, but a bit less replay value than the BG series).

I've played Fallout 2 but not 1. As houndeye says, it's a great and deep character rpg, but if it's your first real foray into the world of rpgs then it might seem so dated and clunky that it's a bit off-putting at first (in graphics terms it really is bland). It might be better to break yourself in gently with something a bit more showy and accessible first.

I've played Fallout 2, and didn't really like it...the turn based thing kinda've turned me off.

xlucidx said:
I've played Fallout 2, and didn't really like it...the turn based thing kinda've turned me off.

I actually hated the combat system in Fallout 2 at first. It's slow and really harsh on you at lower levels, especially if you picked crappy stats to start with (me). But I stuck with it and I eventually came to love it. Nothing quite like getting a critical hit in someone's eyes with a Gatling gun! (and seeing their torso explode...sod the logic :LOL: )

Some people liked it so much that Interplay released Fallout Tactics, a game focussing almost totally on the combat aspect. I never played it though.

Nobodies mentioned

-Planscape: Torment
-Final Fantasy VII (if you didnt' play it on PS you can get it on PC, same for VIII)

PC single player RPGs have been HURTING these past few years. Too many 'diablo' like games, not enough 'ff / xenosaga' type games.

Fable
Knights of the Old Republic I
Knights of the Old Republic II
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Jade Empire

I know Fable and Jade Empire are Xbox only, but they are exellent titles, especially Fable.

Fallout 2 is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, although it does look a little dated these days.

If your not heavy into customization in RPGs go for the Spellforce series. A mix of RPG and RTS styles.

Enjoyable and plenty of gametime.

Arcanum - awesome Victorian atmosphere, great gameplay, nice looking for a 2D RPG, and a good story, you can pump plenty of hours into this game, it also has MP

As already stated, KOTOR 1 and 2 (I haven't played 2 myself though) and NeverwinterNights. If you are gonna play NWN online, you'll probably need all the expansion as well; get the Platinum Pack - NWN and the 2 expansions on DVD.

edit: If you count it as one, Deus Ex 1. Although from the FP perspective ... and FPS-features ... well it's still more of an RPG.

Homless Snark said:
Nobodies mentioned

-Planscape: Torment

Laivasse said:
you could try Planescape: Torment. It's more of the same but slightly different in style, slightly more linear, and more story-driven (awesome the first time through, but a bit less replay value than the BG series).

:thumbs:

Classics:
Fallout
Baulder's Gate
Final fantasy 7,8,9
Zelda
Diablo
Deus Ex

If there is any of the above you haven't played, you need to buy it. NOW.

Modern greats:
Basically any "modern" sequel to the above games, though they're never as good
KOTOR
Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
Vampire: the masquerade (if you don't mind the fact that every other thing is glitched).

That's my favorite list, there's proballly more; but I can't remember them :)

Arx Fatalis if you can find it. Like morowind but a unique spell system and nice dungeons with lots of traps :)

It just has to be Morrowind. RPG's have been a bit hit or miss for me and i am fairly dismissive of quite a lot of them but Morrowind truly suprised me, it's incredible and huge. At first it seems a bit too big and scary but once you get into it you are so very very hooked.

Back