Looking for a new case...

antec soho fileserver - heavy, solid, and classicly cool looking. Won't look stupid or noobish in a few years. Spacious and low temp. Comes with 450 watt ps and a billion screws.

FictiousWill said:
antec soho fileserver - heavy, solid, and classicly cool looking. Won't look stupid or noobish in a few years. Spacious and low temp. Comes with 450 watt ps and a billion screws.

link?? i had hotdogs for dinner

RTFMish said:
I wouldn't suggest getting that case, looks pretty flimsy, and the power supply looks CRAP.

i already have a PSU... i need a case... and what do you mean flimsy

They wish to keep their fingers busy typing but don't know how they want to structure their sentences. Maybe?
;)

That case looks good. Nothing stands out that would be any reason not to buy it. Infact it looks pretty flexable as far as the rear fan goes. Looks like it has screw holes for 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm fans.

Most people pay attention to only looks, lights and windows when picking a case but may be disapointed when putting the PC together as they find issues in case design.
Maybe the case flexes when weight is applied or is sharp in places so you may get cut when installing parts.
Some have a less than 80mm fan in the rear (60 or 40mm) which is restricting for airflow.
Some are very flashy or bright even more so than the image showed and the user wanted.
Flexability and ease of installation is something you should really look into.
If they include fans or not. The noise might be something which you could look into if the case will be in the open. Airflow if you are installing current CPUs, GFX cards and other parts or if it will be placed in a confined space.
Weight of the case might be of importants if you attend LAN parties often.
Also just extra features that add to the case. Some that people look for are: Removable motherboard tray, rubber washers that absorb vibration from fans and harddrives, easy HDD access and removal, drive mounted slides for easy removal and install, dust filter, and front ports.

Side fans are nice if you only have 1 intake fan in the front. They blow directly on the components. If you want a side fan, look for one that blows directly over the PCI/AGP slots or CPU. Don't get one that blows in the center of the case as that is a waste. lol

In my setup, with 2 front intake fans side-by-side blowing directly at the PCI/AGP, a side fan would mess up the airflow.

Daegon said:
That is also a very slick case. Very quiet and very well built. With a very nice PSU too, I might add (Antec 380Watt).
Although if you want a paper weight Case to take to LANs then it might not be the best.

When I upgrade later this year I am definitely going with the Antec Sonata, simply because it is engineered for quietness. Computers are getting noisier all the time, which in itself detracts from gaming goodness.

It doesn't look "cool" or anything, and I don't like the idea of case doors, but that's one way it quiets things down. You have to get it with a PSU though, because that's special for the Sonata (one large, slower turning fan).

It depends of the type of person you are really whether you'll like the case im going to link. There are people that like standard cars and people that like modified cars (thats an example) I know what group i fall into :p

Anyway, i've got this case Thermaltake Xaser III and i really cant fault it...it has everything and as i upgraded to that from a case i bought alongside my first pc it was one hell of a leap...like upgrading from a MX440 to a 6800ultra leap heh. It keeps my cpu quite cool considering the shite cpu fan ive got + no thermal paste haha :eek: gets to 51c and its a 2.6+ amd xp OC'ed to 2.2ghz so it isnt bad heating :)

If you plan on going to LAN's then forget it, weighs in at 20kg's but these are for LAN's http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/lanmoto/lanmotomenu.htm at just 5kg's.

Ive got a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W PSU in mine (bought seperately) that suffice for all the fan molex connector's...i got 4 Y cable splitters too just incase..they glow as well :smoking:

Cool case! ^^ :D i personally went for the Antec Sonata as i needed to keep noise levels down - it has two 120mm fan slots which helps. Of course there are more exciting cases than the sonata to be had with the same features such as the lightweight Super Lanboy or the P160.

All three cases also have side mounting drive bays with drive rails too which is nice.

usually the bigger the better for overclocking. Airflow/cooling is king for that.

A few things...

Do you sleep in the same room as that computer? Because youll be amazed at how bright those damn lights are and they will probably keep you up depending on how u sleep.

I dont like doors because it become very easy to break your CD trays.

I have a big ass thermaltake case and I had to unplug the lights and take the door completely off. Horrible. Ill know better next time around.

The lights are'nt UV super dooper lights lol...they light my room up a little but hardly anything more than the street lamps outside do. I've got no disc tray cd drives so that really doesnt bother me that i could knock one off because i dont have one to knock off.

Back