Looking for an easy way to convert measurements...

Saturos

Reaction score
...specifically, Celsius to Fahrenheit, because I suck at reading Celsius. -56 Celsius just doesn't seem so cold when I'm used to reading Fahrenheit.

BTW, what's the purpose for Celsius anyways?

If you have google chrome you can just type like "76 f to c" right in the address bar. (which then does a google search for that, which handles conversions/math/etc.)

I seriously am surprised you don't know about google's simple and convenient conversion/math/etc tools built into the search engine.

If you have google chrome you can just type like "76 f to c" right in the address bar. (which then does a google search for that, which handles conversions/math/etc.)
I don't use Google Chrome though. Is there an add-on for FireFox that can do that?

Yeah it's called searching on google. Google toolbar would do it? If you're too lazy to go to your homepage which SHOULD be google.

Yeah it's called searching on google. Google toolbar would do it? If you're too lazy to go to your homepage which SHOULD be google.
Yeah, but dial-up takes ages to browse unless you know exactly where you want to go, and I don't have the patience for this shitty connection.

Erm. Browse where?

Edit: Farrow that's so ridiculous DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST.

You're using Google to find a site that does what google can do, and google does it much better and more flexiblier (that's a word). It's like so redundant.

I hate you and am never talking to you again.
Don't hate me, hate cleaverendeavoR for providing me with the superior answer. ;)

I'd still like to know if there's a unit conversion add-on for FireFox though.
You still have a chance to redeem yourself and prove your usefulness Vegeta.

Personally I use Calculator Plus, which has a crapload of conversions, including Asian measurements.

Awesome, just what I was looking for.

So, to convert -56 Celsius:

-56*1.8+32= -68 F

ammirite?

Yes, OR if you want to make it easier or quicker you could round to 2.

so like 20 x 2 = 40 +32 =72

So 20c is roughly 72f

I still do not see what is wrong with using google searches to do your conversions. There is no way your internet is too slow to do a google search.

And if you want a "plugin" like I said Google toolbar.

This is my favorite conversion website. I've used it regularly for the past 4 years. Seriously. I love it.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Personally I use Calculator Plus, which has a crapload of conversions, including Asian measurements.

I used this once, when I was on a computer with no regular Windows Calculator. It was alright, although I recall the design being really ugly.

Neat, how'd you do that? Not the Google thing, but the walkthrough/link.

I knew about Google's feature, but sometimes when I try conversions or calculations, It'll sometimes just give me a bunch of links instead.
Besides, I needed to know how to do it on paper for times when I'm not around a computer.

@CleverendeavoR: Much obliged! :)

Oh don't gimme none of that bullshit.

Counter argument: Failing to utilize the advantages of computers and falling behind the technological curve will make you weak

Oh don't gimme none of that bullshit.

Counter argument: Failing to utilize the advantages of computers and falling behind the technological curve will make you weak
Because even toilets in Japan are computerized right? :3

Well, what I mean why is there Kelvin, Celsius, and Fahrenheit? Why not just one unit of measurement for temperature?
The wiki dodges the answer to this question for Celsius, but it does explain Kelvin's usage in physics.

Although, I would say Kelvin is more useful than Celsius since it measures in absolute values. Celsius just seemed to be created by some Swedish scientist on a whim with no real reason according to the wiki page. Then again, it would be a mistake to believe everything on that site.

Use Wolfram Alpha so you can know the blackbody energy influx with your answer, and tons of other stuff you don't know what means.

0 freezing water, 100 boiling water. That's why.

Well, what I mean why is there Kelvin, Celsius, and Fahrenheit? Why not just one unit of measurement for temperature?
The wiki dodges the answer to this question for Celsius, but it does explain Kelvin's usage in physics.

Although, I would say Kelvin is more useful than Celsius since it measures in absolute values. Celsius just seemed to be created by some Swedish scientist on a whim with no real reason according to the wiki page. Then again, it would be a mistake to believe everything on that site.

0 Degrees Celsius is the freezing point of water, while 100 degrees is the boiling point of water. It should be easy to see why that scale makes sense for both the Scientist and the General Public.

The Kelvin could only exist after Absolute Zero, the coldest possible temperature, had been identified. It makes no sense for the general public to use this scale.

Fahrenheit uses the freezing point of brine, of all things, to calibrate zero degrees Fahrenheit. It might have made sense for whatever methods of temperature recording they used at the time but IMO it's the most nonsensical of the three by today's standards. I dunno why the USA still bothers with it - no other major country does.

Oh my god. This thread.
This is what Vegeta is trying to explain.

5b92t0.png

Fahrenheit uses the freezing point of brine, of all things, to calibrate zero degrees Fahrenheit. It might have made sense for whatever methods of temperature recording they used at the time but IMO it's the most nonsensical of the three by today's standards. I dunno why the USA still bothers with it - no other major country does.

Fahrenheit (perhaps unintentionally) puts "normal"-ish weather temperatures on a 0 to 100 scale. As in, really cold weather ~0 degrees Fahrenheit, and really hot weather ~100 F. On the Celsius scale, a small range (25 C versus 35 C) covers a relatively wide range of temperatures in terms of weather, and something like 100 C is rarely experienced unless you're cooking or something.

I personally prefer to use Celsius for science calculations since it's connected to the Kelvin scale which is usually used. But for everyday use (weather) I think Fahrenheit makes more sense.

Celcius is very simple and very intuitive.

Water freezes at 0degrees and boils at 100. Simple.

Far better than farrenheit.

Kelvin is more meant for scientists, because it is hard to understand how can it be cold in +300 K.

Name one thing you can do with that software which you have to install that you can't do with a simple google search?

Back