LOOOOOOONG Loading Times...

Totaly personal preference :) For me it removed all stutters and pauses, but did make some sounds rather delayed. Like a clay pot I picked up and smashed took a second or two before the sound played. All the command does is stop the engine waiting(why it simply freezes for a second) untill the sound is ready to be played. If you had very bad stuttering and would prefer to have some delayed sounds but smooth gameplay, then use it. Personally I found I didn't need it after defragmenting(hadn't done it for over a year :naughty:)

dynamicx said:
Totaly personal preference :) For me it removed all stutters and pauses, but did make some sounds rather delayed. Like a clay pot I picked up and smashed took a second or two before the sound played. All the command does is stop the engine waiting(why it simply freezes for a second) untill the sound is ready to be played. If you had very bad stuttering and would prefer to have some delayed sounds but smooth gameplay, then use it. Personally I found I didn't need it after defragmenting(hadn't done it for over a year :naughty:)
Ok. Cool. I'll defragment in about 30 minutes and then play to see how it is. :E

Anyway, dynamic, how much do you know about ping? I have a problem with it. Check here to see what I mean...
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56824

I just love taking my threads into any direction I want. :p

Well.. you need to start off by diagnosing if it's your connection or the game. Go to the start menu and then click on "Run..." If you are using XP or 2000 type "cmd", "command" if you are using 98 or ME. Then type "ping google.com". Replace google.com with some big local site.. for me it would normally be bbc.co.uk.. but I don't know where you come from. Usually an isp site or such will do. If you ping horrible to those sites, then it's your connection/router/modem problem.

I'll assume it isn't and try to help you tweak CS:S. Ok, firstly, enable the net graph by typing "net_graph 3" in the console. Then type "cl_cmdrate 60" and "cl_updaterate 60" finally "rate 20000". Try this and tell me what happens...

dynamicx said:
Well.. you need to start off by diagnosing if it's your connection or the game. Go to the start menu and then click on "Run..." If you are using XP or 2000 type "cmd", "command" if you are using 98 or ME. Then type "ping google.com". Replace google.com with some big local site.. for me it would normally be bbc.co.uk.. but I don't know where you come from. Usually an isp site or such will do. If you ping horrible to those sites, then it's your connection/router/modem problem.

I'll assume it isn't and try to help you tweak CS:S. Ok, firstly, enable the net graph by typing "net_graph 3" in the console. Then type "cl_cmdrate 60" and "cl_updaterate 60" finally "rate 20000". Try this and tell me what happens...
Alright. I did than cmd thing. I pinged google.com and comcast.net. In both I got very low pings. Like in the teens.

I then went to CS: S. I did as you said. No improvement at all. I get a ping of anywhere between 300 and 1000. Any other suggestions?

Hmm that's very weird, you didn't change any other commands, or was it always like this? Are other games all laggy too? You are choosing a different server each time that is local to you? Do servers ping fine in the server browser, or are they all lagged? Does the net graph show any loss or choke? Hopefully we can find out what's the cause :)

dynamicx said:
Hmm that's very weird, you didn't change any other commands, or was it always like this? Are other games all laggy too? You are choosing a different server each time that is local to you? Do servers ping fine in the server browser, or are they all lagged? Does the net graph show any loss or choke? Hopefully we can find out what's the cause :)
It was always like this. Ever since I got it and played online. I am rather new to online gaming, too. My first online experience was MOHAA back in September when I got Cable internet. My ping for MOHAA was very good.
I choose servers that are relatively close to me, like the East Coast (of US).
What do you mean by: "Do servers ping fine in the server browswer, or are they are all lagged?"?

The net graph shows a stable frame-rate and a wide range of ping. Like I had said, anywhere from 300 to 1000.

*Also. I have never played the regular CS. I just starting playing CS:S just a couple of days ago. Too bad my ping sucks. ;(

EDIT: Are they any other commands I can enter to improve my ping?

I mean, do all server have 300+ pings in the server browser? In the net graph, at the bottom, what choke and loss do you get?
As for commands.. you can try increaing cl_cmdrate and cl_update each to 100, don't think that will change much though.

dynamicx said:
I mean, do all server have 300+ pings in the server browser? In the net graph, at the bottom, what choke and loss do you get?
As for commands.. you can try increaing cl_cmdrate and cl_update each to 100, don't think that will change much though.
I filter all the servers to East Coast and not full. I go into servers that have less than 100 usually. My loss almost always stays at 0. So, does my choke. But my choke can sometimes go to 2 or 3.

What now? :rolleyes:

Very strange :/ One last thing to try would be a traceroute. To do this, find a server that pings fine for you in the browser, get the server info up and copy the ip address. Then do the cmd thing again. Type "tracert <serverip>", make sure you take the port of the end, normally :27015. Post the results here.. but if that doesn't show anything then I really don't know. You say firewall, router etc have been turned off with no effect, so I really can't think of anything right now :(

C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew>tracert 66.148.80.116

Tracing route to client.hopone.net [66.148.80.116]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 11 ms 8 ms 10 ms 10.126.72.1
2 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms fe-3-3-ar01.woodbury.nj.nj04.comcast.net [68.87.
51.13]
3 10 ms 12 ms 11 ms pos-7-2-cr01.torresdale.pa.core.comcast.net [68.
87.19.209]
4 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms 12.118.114.5
5 31 ms 15 ms 14 ms tbr1-p012301.phlpa.ip.att.net [12.123.137.62]
6 15 ms 14 ms 18 ms tbr1-cl8.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.2.17]
7 30 ms 12 ms 14 ms ggr2-p300.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.123.3.58]
8 15 ms 15 ms 13 ms so-1-3-0.gar4.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.127.149]

9 15 ms 13 ms 18 ms ae-1-51.bbr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.97.1]
10 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms ae-0-0.bbr2.Washington1.Level3.net [64.159.0.230
]
11 21 ms 21 ms 22 ms ge-7-1.ipcolo1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.121.
75]
12 39 ms 23 ms 22 ms ge10-0.core1.dca2.hopone.net [66.36.224.190]
13 41 ms 39 ms 22 ms vl2.msfc1.distb1.dca2.hopone.net [66.36.224.228]

14 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms client.hopone.net [66.148.80.116]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew>

That server is from New Jersey. Which is where I am from. :p

Sorry I've got no idea.. only heard about things like this a few times before. People would get insane lag in one mod, and normal ping in another. You could try deleting your config.cfg file in the cstrike cfg folder. Make a copy of your current one, then just delete the original. Start up css, type in cl_cmdrate and all those. If it still don't work then I don't think I can help.. maybe email valve or hope someone else can help :|

dynamicx said:
Sorry I've got no idea.. only heard about things like this a few times before. People would get insane lag in one mod, and normal ping in another. You could try deleting your config.cfg file in the cstrike cfg folder. Make a copy of your current one, then just delete the original. Start up css, type in cl_cmdrate and all those. If it still don't work then I don't think I can help.. maybe email valve or hope someone else can help :|
Ok. I think it's about time we gave up on this thread anyway. We've tried a lot and I'm getting sleepy.
Thanks for all your help. You have really taught me new things and gave a help hand to someone in need. I like you for that.
Well...I'll try CS:S again and do some tweaking and stuff to see if I can fix this. And then defragment before I go to bed.

Thanks again. :cheers:

Back