Lots of choke in CS:source

BaBaR

Reaction score
Just got CS:Source and ive been enjoying it, but i recently noticed i was getting a lot of choke (around 70-30 in firefights). IF played with the cl_updaterate and cmdrate and nothing has helped. I connect to the internet through my campus network... its plenty fast (i usually get 10 ping to local servers) and i never got choke in regular CS.
could this be an internet problem or a source problem?
along the same lines when i search for servers using the cs:source server search thingy most of my servers are pinging at 200+ ping all the way up to 2000.

Is anyone else getting the problem, is it known? Someone help me! Thanks!

thats wierd, I dont get any choke, even while in fire fights. And if I do its only like 1 - 2

Mess with your rates at your peril. Personally I think that the console should be locked apart fromgeneral keybinds. The behind the scenes stuff should remain constant and the Steam launcher should set your rates automatically depending on what connection speed you have set in the options.

WEll ping could be a personal problem since i never had a high ping only when i joined foreign servers...

im connecting from my college network... my average cs ping to east coast servers is about 10... so it isnt ping

Make sure your steam connection settings are set to what connection you are usuing.

That's a little difficult when there aren't that many options. I have 0.5 Mbit & I can only choose between 256KBit & 768KBit. & neither is very good since it either gets strangled & choked with too much info. Not that I can see any difference in performance between them...

I have the same problem. I've tried rates from 5000 - 20 000, cl_updaterates from 10-100, cl_cmdrates from 10-100 .. still chokes.. I'll just have to live with it until I get a new ISP in a month or two, unless you find a solution for me :D Have fun!

well i hope its fixeed in the full game cus its a bit of anyoning imo but it isnt impossible to play with :)

I found the problem! My steam internet setting was set at 14.4 modem when im on a t1 network... i changed the setting in steam and my choke is gone now

Back