LucasArts Classics Coming to Steam

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"> </div>

[br]LucasArts has released a press release on twitter to announce their partnership with Valve's Steam to revive classic gaming titles such as LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and more!

In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made
available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam?, Valve Corporation's delivery and management
platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and
The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic
Commando.

Here's the complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:
  • Armed and Dangerous
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
  • LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
  • LOOM
  • Star Wars Battlefront II
  • Star Wars Republic Commando
  • Star Wars Starfighter
  • The Dig
  • Thrillville: Off the Rails

LuacsArts says this little announcement is just a start. The company also revealed that The Secret of Monkey Island will arrive on PC (Steam) and Xbox 360 on Wednesday, July 15.

I would love to see Day of the Tentacle on Steam. It has been so long since I last played it.

Maybe im a bit naive but are any of those games good? Only herd of Battle Front 2.

I'll wait for the classics like Dark Forces I and II and Grim Fandago. It's a start though.

Battlefront II and Republic Commando are good, and so is Starfighter although I had no idea that was ported to PC (it was one of the PS2 launch titles).

And hell yeah I would LOVE for Dark Forces to be on Steam, I haven't played that game since my mom took it from my 11 year old self after the Columbine violent video games witchhunt in 1999.

Awesome! Waiting for The Secret of Monkey Island special edition.

This is an exceptional development indeed - I do hope most of their library makes the transition, even if a significant portion of it is unreservedly shit. In terms of what I want, I am looking at you, Jedi Outcast, Lego Star Wars, Shadows of the Empire, and Knights of the Old Republic ('The Sith Lords' - better than all six movies; not a hard task, I grant you).

For now, Republic Commando and The Digg will suffice.

Can't wait to see what other Lucasarts games (10-20 yr old ones) pop up on Steam.
I have a lot of them still for PC.

For their adventure games I already have:
Day of the Tentacle
Secret of Monkey Island
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
The Dig

Starwars:
TIE Fighter
Rebel Assault
Rebel Assault 2
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
etc...

I'm a big fan of all the 90s PC FPS titles - Dark Forces, DF2, Revenge of the Sith etc. Hopefully they'll end up with their entire back catalog on Steam.

I'm a big fan of all the 90s PC FPS titles - Dark Forces, DF2, Revenge of the Sith etc. Hopefully they'll end up with their entire back catalog on Steam.

ditto, those are PC games i grew up on. can't wait to see more of Square Enix's games too

I was a large fan of X-Wing and the subsequent games.....

As for the rest.....meh.

Republic Commando will make me happy enough for now, but I demand at least some of the X-wing/TIE fighter games in the future, especially TIE fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

dark forces, 'nuff said

Was wondering why they were holding off with annoyingly vague PC release details for the Monkey Island Special Edition. This is the outcome I'd hoped for, and I'm going to gobble that up like Pac-Man.

The rest of the titles... depends on pricing, and how well they cover compatability between old game / modern 64-bit operating system. I presume they won't be bundling SCUMMVM in there, or expecting people to go search for it. But then, since the HD version of Monkey Island is running in tandem with the original, they must already have their own way of getting it all to work (and it's tantalising to think that maybe they could even patch titles at a later date that they think are deserving of the 'HD' update).

Finally, the management at Lucasarts have seen the light.

more like let's sell our old shit, because we're going down :p

I never played Doom as a kid, my FPS career went from Wolf3d to Dark Forces to Outlaws (another game which I'd like for LA to re-release on Steam for nostalgia purposes although it was pretty awful). So DF essentially acted as surrogate Doom in my childhood gaming development. Also I was absolutely nuts about Star Wars then.

Also I was absolutely nuts about Star Wars then.

I was, too, but I still thought the game sucked.

I was going to say that I was probably spoiled by the masterpiece that is System Shock, but really, Dark Forces is simply a bad game.

Well, so was I, but I think when we reach the age of being able to critically analyse something for what it is, the paradigm changes, and all of a sudden Star Wars, in its entirety, sucks.

Doesn't Dark Forces one-up Doom in 3D?

Also, I really love Doom, and never got into it until well after it was relevant. It's a beautifully fluid shooter experience.

Well, so was I, but I think when we reach the age of being able to critically analyse something for what it is, the paradigm changes, and all of a sudden Star Wars, in its entirety, sucks.

Oh, well, obviously Star Wars is 95% complete garbage to begin with, but the Knights of the Old Republic series is something that doesn't let that hold it back. Dark Forces is just walking around a ship shooting [strike]demons[/strike] stormtroopers. I mean even when we were, what would we have been then, 8? 9?, I still expected a higher quality game. I'd go so far as to say it's a simple game for the simple-minded.

Doesn't Dark Forces one-up Doom in 3D?

That's like saying Doom 3 is a better game because it has high poly models as compared to Doom 1's sprites. It's the same cliche-ridden mess of a game with terrible gameplay and an absent story.

You have no soul. I bet you don't like Firefly either.

I have never seen Firefly, but I have seen Serenity. It was okay.

I love Firefly. And it's definitely better than Serenity. And I'm going to make you watch it at some point.

I don't get why anyone has ever liked that game. It's just ****ing reskinned Doom. Which was a terrible game. Yes, even when it came out.

it's okay to say this for dark forces 1, but if you really think dark forces 2 is a bad game...

That's like saying Doom 3 is a better game because it has high poly models as compared to Doom 1's sprites. It's the same cliche-ridden mess of a game with terrible gameplay and an absent story.
The point was that you were saying DF was merely 'reskinned Doom'. Pointing out its technical worth doesn't seem as irrelevant to me as bewailing cliches and lacking story in a mid-90s FPS. If your yardstick is System Shock, most games released before and since are going to fall short. :)

it's okay to say this for dark forces 1, but if you really think dark forces 2 is a bad game...

I think it was better than Dark Forces, but it was still a long ways away from being a good game.

The teams who work on games like these should be bought out by other companies that will limit them to working on mobile phone and other "casual" games that no one actually plays.

The point was that you were saying DF was merely 'reskinned Doom'. Pointing out its technical worth doesn't seem as irrelevant to me as bewailing cliches and lacking story in a mid-90s FPS. If your yardstick is System Shock, most games released before and since are going to fall short. :)

I don't think technology necessarily makes or breaks a game. I remember renting Mario 64 when it first came out and yeah, having a 3d game like that coming from Super Mario World was pretty amazing, but it wouldn't have mattered if the game was rubbish. Like that ****ing Super Mario Waterworld or whatever the hell it was for the Gamecube. Better technology, crap game, barely touched it.

And I don't think the argument that "Games aren't made as good as that" is really compelling. Suggesting that it's okay to settle for whatever shit is pushed out the door because the work isn't put in is part of what makes companies like Electronic Arts grow steadily. They are another company that should have most of the execs transferred.

Wait, wait... is Yorick actually judging games that came out in the early 90s that helped pave the way to the games we play today?

You're not allowed to do that! :frown:

Am I the only one in this thread that played Outlaws? I'm sure some of you played the (equally unpopular but somehow packaged with retail HL or CS or something) HL mod remake of it.

I beat Outlaws and Wanted (by Maverick Dev) several times.

"Where are you, Marshall?"

Wait, wait... is Yorick actually judging games that came out in the early 90s that helped pave the way to the games we play today?

You're not allowed to do that! :frown:

Bitch I do what I want.

I don't deny that games like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Dark Forces had an impact on games today. I think it's quite clear that I have. I am, however, judging games based on how good they are, the same as I always have. I'm not looking back and saying "Wow, Wolfenstein sucked compared to Call of Duty 4" or anything like that. I'm saying even at the time Wolfenstein came out, I thought it sucked.

Like FEAR. FEAR sucked.

Am I the only one in this thread that played Outlaws? I'm sure some of you played the (equally unpopular but somehow packaged with retail HL or CS or something) HL mod remake of it.

I remember playing the original. And Rise of the Triad was another of those similar games that I had played.

Back