Maintained continuity??

BigJack

Reaction score
If we can remember back to the time when we were actually getting new info about Half-life 2, and we were told that it would take place in quite a few different locations. I didnt think about it at the time, but now coming to think of it, this has me slightly worried.

One of the things i loved about HL was that even though we made an enormous journey, we never once left Gordon's shoes. We stayed in control all the way though. This gave me a feeling of tremondous accomplishment, a feeling that I had actually made the whole journey myself, and there wasnt a second of the journey that I didnt miss, unless my character missed it too. This depth is unparalled to date, i have never felt so strongly i was actually in the game as i have with HL.

This is why I am worried about the fact that we will be travelling across the world in HL2. I know that it was a conscious decision of Valve to not let us leave Gordon's shoes in HL, I just hope they havent changed their mind for HL2. It will be difficult for the valve team to maintain gordons perspective throughout long overseas journeys, but I'm sure they can do it!

Please discuss, either how the strong continuity in Half-life 1 made you feel, or what plot twists and events they will employ to keep us feeling like we are gordon in HL2.

I read somewhere that there wont be any cut scenes, and you will do it all yourself. If thats what you mean, and i agree, thats one thing that made HL really fun at the end.

We have been told that HL2 will be wholly immersive, just like HL1.

Man you've been out of it hey?
We've been getting lots of info from vlave and HL2 lately
HL2 will be the smae as HL1 in regards that you only see things through gordons eyes and you never see him( not even in the mirror.)

brink's said:
Man you've been out of it hey?
We've been getting lots of info from vlave and HL2 lately
HL2 will be the smae as HL1 in regards that you only see things through gordons eyes and you never see him( not even in the mirror.)

But surely the mod community could mod mirrors :)

PS: Did they create a character model of Gordon so if you go into third person (like you could in HL) you actually see him in all him highly rendedred glory.

HL2, according to the devs, is exactly like HL1. No cut-scenes, no location shifts. From the E3 video, I guess you move around the area around City 17 by buggy.

lazicsavo said:

PS: Did they create a character model of Gordon so if you go into third person (like you could in HL) you actually see him in all him highly rendedred glory.
Whats the command for third person???

/thirdperson ?

HL1 had a cutscene (captured by grunts) and you could see yourself (thirdperson, pictures)

Reaperman said:
HL1 had a cutscene (captured by grunts) and you could see yourself (thirdperson, pictures)

What, when they caputer you, you pass out, and when you wake up for a short time, you see them dragging you in the first person, or are you talking about when you enable the third person mode.

lazicsavo said:

Ya, but thats not how HL2 is meant to be played.

No, I could explain what a coat hanger is used for.:)

brink's said:
No, I could explain what a coathanger is used for.:)
You mean you actually know!?!?!

TELL ME!!!

Ahem.. Ofcourse the game will take place in different locations, but they doesn't mean you will be skipping parts of the journey...

Although Valve does say the game will take place over 3 days, and there is a definate end and start of each day. So there may be parts where you "sleep" and then wake up on a new day.

But that's still a continuos story. (Unless you wan't to watch Gordon snore for 8 hours straight)

i reckon sleeping would interrupt the flow of the game a lot. maybe i wasnt really paying attention, i seemed to think that gordon would be travelling long distances.
One way of travelling across an ocean would be in the cockpit of a strider, blasting loads of aquatic xen aliens on the way with that space bending laser gun. that would be hyper cool.

In order to travel around the world you wouldn't have to leave the eyes of Gordon, this is 15 (or however many) years after Black Mesa, teleportation technology has most likely evolved more so you could be teleported around the world.

he wont sleep, in Hl1 he fights over a couple days too. He just pulls a couple all nighters

In half life 2, sleep actually becomes a problem. Gordon has to use his secret weapon (which has some amazing dx9 effects) to combat the problem.

wouldnt gordon get hungry? thats a long time without eating too. Unless his HEV suit feeds him. :O

every two hours his suit cooks a hamburger and some fries from wendy's. The bad side is he now has to wear a wendy's ad across his chest in hl2. Straight from Gabe i swear.

hehe. another thing, if gordon can't see himself in a mirror, how can he possibly keep his facial hair so well groomed!

I think you're getting carried away, afterall, its a FPS not an RPG.

I did rate this though;
vegeta897 said:
(Unless you wan't to watch Gordon snore for 8 hours straight)

Top banana! :thumbs:

Yeah, can just see it now:

733t: "OMFG! I did HL2 in 1 hour cos I never let Gordon sleep! Oh my god that's so lame - I beat the gaem in 1 hour cos I didn't let him sleep!! owns! Valve suxors! All you haev to do is not sleep and you can compleat HL2 in 1 hour! I made a demo of it LOLZ! OMFG - link: http://www.733tgamerzownzjoo.com***

Reaperman said:

HL1 had no such cutscene.

only time you saw gordon in 3rd person was in Blue shift (at the end) and Opposing Force (at the portal)

Back