Maj lost his mod powers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprafa

Tank
Reaction score
I've just checked and Majestic_XII seems to have lost his mod powers.

What happened ?

btw, halflife2.dev seems to be gone too....

Uhm, yeah. This deserves an explenation. What happend and why?

we had a staff meeting, there were disagreements about what should and shouldnt be edited and blah blah, Anywho maj was fired and were not hosting hl2dev anymore

SpuD said:
we had a staff meeting, there were disagreements about what should and shouldnt be edited and blah blah, Anywho maj was fired and were not hosting hl2dev anymore

could you be a little more specific ?

and why would Munro want to edit .dev?

He wanted to integrate certain things to match up with the new and upcoming hl2net design, maj didnt want to change anything at .dev

Unfortunately we couldn't come to an agreement regarding the integration of .dev into halflife2.net. We (Halflife2.net) aim to provide a comprehensive modification section including a mod list, tutorials and other such stuff. Hosting a rival site just does not make sense and as such .dev decided to find another host. Similarly, it was decided that we could not have the leader of a rival site in a staff position here, so to my personal dissapointment Majestic had to leave.

I'd like wish maj and .dev the best of luck in the future and thank maj for all the hard work he's put in to moderating the forums. Hope he doesn't give up on us altogether, I'd miss him :(

And that's why he was fired?

edit- makes some sense after reading onions post, but couldn't .dev be a part of hl2.net, or a subsite, withouth having to use the same design as hl2.net?

Varg : not true

As spud said we had a discussion about the site one of the topics raised was .dev

It was simply this - we had disagreements about the future of dev , we asked for more inetegration into these forums and the main site and they were relucatant / refused to do so. Which I can understand, honestly. It was a lot of work put into the site.

But having it entirely seperate and staff who considered themselves having nothing to do with halflife2.net it ended up being an untenable position so it resulted in dev leaving us. Majestic sadly cant be both director of a rival site and a senior moderator here, just like we couldnt give someone from source or fallout access to our staff forums and vice versa.

its a decision we cant change so lets leave it as that, munro has spoken!!
Unlucky Maj

Dang, that's pretty sad. A swediteer struck down.. :(

Be strong, maj.. Be strong.

But your reasons seem to be pretty strong in my opinion, don't think it'd work out as good if you had it the other way.

First time posting in a few days now..

Just thought I would say that I am sorry to see him go and I hope he didnt take it badly. He will allways be a member of the community irregardless of whether he has the moderator tag in my opinion.

Wait a sec that means that there is room for another moderator again ;)

It seems as though it was a pretty mutual decision in the end.

I need to add something really important here. We're using a completly different system for both our forum, site administration and the overall backbone for the article, tutorial and mod admin are based on our forum. Its not easy for us to change everything (aka recode the whole site). When i first started the site, i designed it to be a stand alone, when we first bug tested it, it was a stand alone site, but now, when we're done... it needed to be intergrated.

So there we were... Should we try to intergrate it, with will lead to closing of the newly released site and delay it for a quite some time. Or go solo?

I dont like how things are done behind the scenes of this site. To be honest, i tried to keep sane just to get the dev.halflife2.net so i could get some extra visitors... but me and the team couldnt do it any longer, so we left.

I had a backup host for over a month because i knew it would turn out like this, hl2.net gotta be the most unstable site ive been involved it.

Hl2.net will make their own clone of .Dev now, since we left.

Also, I think theres to much hate in this community. I think sites should be open to each other and share ideas and news. Hl2.net isnt one of those, i can tell you that. .Dev is based to be open, people share their ideas and knowledge to help others, not depending on what site they're working for or visits. After all... its a game we all love, we should work together and not against each other.

I lost my mod powers since munro doesnt want me here because of .Dev going solo now.

I think it was for the better though. We got a lot more freedom with the host we got now, we couldnt do anything with hl2.net server. We will also be able to add more features we couldnt do due to lack of controll over the server.

Its in the middle of the night and im tierd, so sorry for the spelling and grammar errors in the text. Ill write something better about this tomorrow (if the thread is still here).

I will still post here though.

Good to hear you'll still be around, Majestic. :)

I'm not sure what I think would be the best. It's a big matter about privacy though when it comes to sites like these, and honestly I'd probably do the same thing as the staff did if I was in their shoes.

Well...

erm... I dont know where to start since I dont have much time tonight. A few comments though.

I agree... there is alot of hate here atm. But I dont think it has allways been like this as some seem to think.

For example; HL2w orld was never cencored before (sos) and I personally dont think it should be anymore.
I allways disliked that site because they cencored our sites name and made fun of the community and the mods here. Mirroring their actions is not a step in the right dirrection in my opinion.

Er.. comment number 2...
What do you mean by the site being unstable and hard to work with? (Im just curious)

erm.. dont have the time to make the rest of my post so...

Comment number 3!

Its nice to know you will still post here! :)

"To be honest, i tried to keep sane just to get the dev.halflife2.net so i could get some extra visitors..."

I feel dirty :(

marksmanHL2 :) said:
For example; HL2w orld was never cencored before (sos) and I personally dont think it should be anymore.
I allways disliked that site because they cencored our sites name and made fun of the community and the mods here. Mirroring their actions is not a step in the right dirrection in my opinion.

Actually, hl2world's address was censored here a long time ago without any warning. That is where the whole disagreement between sites started. Anywho, just thought I'd clear it up as you kind of had it backwards. But meh, that's offtopic.

Best of luck to you Maj in getting your site up an going.

Glad to hear that you'll stick around Maj, mate.
Bear in mind what I said earlier on msn, the offer is always standing :)

Its a big bad world in the....world... of websites.

Neutrino said:
Actually, hl2world's address was censored here a long time ago without any warning. That is where the whole disagreement between sites started. Anywho, just thought I'd clear it up as you kind of had it backwards. But meh, that's offtopic.

That isn't however why the trouble started :)

This sucks.

hl2.net gotta be the most unstable site ive been involved it.

Agreed. Though I can't say I'm involved in managing this site, there are (or seem to be) often problems and disagreements with people getting fired/re-hired etc.

Off to sleep now.

Well no one can control who signs up, so obviously we're going to get a few bad apples. HL2.net being the biggest (I think) HL2 community is obviously going to get more "bad apples" than others.

Er.. comment number 2...
What do you mean by the site being unstable and hard to work with? (Im just curious)

I wont answer that since its not public knowing.

I wanted to be hosted on this site because this was the center of all hl2, i also was a mod in the modding forums so it was the first thing i thought about, naturally.

Neutrino said:

/me feels stupid...

/me remembers the /me command still doesnt work...
/me feels a right royal idiot!

Ahem!!!

Erm.... ok. Sorry bout that. I just assumed that we censored their site recently because I only saw it happen recently...

I must have been living under a large boulder when it first happend...

And Farrowlesparrow... What DID start the troubles....?

Majestic XII said:
I wont answer that since its not public knowing.

I wanted to be hosted on this site because this was the center of all hl2, i also was a mod in the modding forums so it was the first thing i thought about, naturally.

I thought that might be the answer... No bother. I'll have to live in sweet ignorance. :p

[me] wonders if these tags work [/me]

Anyway, I still don't know what .dev is.

Well...Ignorance may be bliss, until you later realise while you were being ignorant, that fire you were stood in actually burnt off your legs and now you have two charred black stumps.

mortiz said:
[me] wonders if these tags work [/me]

Anyway, I still don't know what .dev is.

.Dev is a modding resource. The memebers are able to add tutorials, articles links, mods (like moddb) and so on... like a big wiki. I dont want to go into details since hl2.net will make their own clone now.

Edit: Force is the coder for .Dev

psssst!!

I think I scared off the new guy! :p

Anyway... I have to go sleep now..

Bye bye!!

/me feels stupid...

/me remembers the /me command still doesnt work...
/me feels a right royal idiot!

Ahem!!!

Erm.... ok. Sorry bout that. I just assumed that we censored their site recently because I only saw it happen recently...

I must have been living under a large boulder when it first happend...

And Farrowlesparrow... What DID start the troubles....?

Heh. Anyway, you might be able to find the original thread if you searched. I think it was something like 9 months ago. I don't feel like going into it since it's ancient history and doesn't really matter anymore. I'll just say that there was and is a major difference of opinion between the site admins.:)

Farrowlesparrow said:
Well...Ignorance may be bliss, until you later realise while you were being ignorant, that fire you were stood in actually burnt off your legs and now you have two charred black stumps.

Damnit! That explains why I've had trouble walking lately. Thanks. :LOL:

Ok Maj, quit shitstiring. I came on and I've seen the logs of what happened earlier and you are in NO position to say anything about us after the way you were acting.

You admit to having a backup host, why dont you tell the users WHY you really had one. I'm sure they'd love to know your plans to steal users while using hl2.net before running off to another site.

So quit acting like a baby, you and force pretty much admitted what you were upto and got caught out. YOU both left though, you weren't fired, Munro and the others have for months and months given you chance after chance to intergrate, you remained unreasonable and denied ever knowing hl2.net wanted it intergrated in the beginning, until you finally admitted you DID know months and months ago.

You have your site, we have ours, stop trying to turn users away or act like your the victim, you left.

wow, this is getting to be like a drama in this thread!!

who wants popcorn?

and sorry to see you leave maj, glad well still be seeing you around. Personally i dont care what you were or were not doing, youll still be a mod in my eyes... sort of.. :)

The Dark Elf said:
Ok Maj, quit shitstiring. I came on and I've seen the logs of what happened earlier and you are in NO position to say anything about us after the way you were acting.

You admit to having a backup host, why dont you tell the users WHY you really had one. I'm sure they'd love to know your plans to steal users while using hl2.net before running off to another site.

So quit acting like a baby, you and force pretty much admitted what you were upto and got caught out. YOU both left though, you weren't fired, Munro and the others have for months and months given you chance after chance to intergrate, you remained unreasonable and denied ever knowing hl2.net wanted it intergrated in the beginning, until you finally admitted you DID know months and months ago.

You have your site, we have ours, stop trying to turn users away or act like your the victim, you left.
If you would have read the logs more carefully, I never admitted I heard about the integration months ago, but was rather ignored when I asked why I haven't been told earlier when we had a preview at my server. Noone did say anything then, and nobody said anything until very recently, and both me an Majestic said that a merge wouldn't be done but was held unknowing that the hosting would be cut off when we didn't want to merge.

Force said:
If you would have read the logs more carefully, I never admitted I heard about the integration months ago, but was rather ignored when I asked why I haven't been told earlier when we had a preview at my server. Noone did say anything then, and nobody said anything until very recently, and both me an Majestic said that a merge wouldn't be done but was held unknowing that the hosting would be cut off when we didn't want to merge.
well I was talking to Maj not you. Why you weren't told about intergrating it in the beginning before you did all that work is on Maj's shoulders then as he was for a long time the link between the two sites. While you continued to say you had no interest in hl2.net.

So I'd talk to Majestic about why he never told you about originally wanting it merged as one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back