Major Problem!

T

THP

Hopefully somebody here can help me. I've been searching around on the forums for the past couple days and I can't find anything that's similar to my problem. I've been playing HL2 fine for the past couple days, but I just installed a new CPU (upgraded from an AMD Duron 1.2 to an Athlon XP 2400+), and now whenever I turn my flashlight on and then off, all of the textures start to flash white on and off whenever I move around. I've re-installed HL2 twice, validated the files, even deleted and downloaded the materials gcf, but nothing seems to work. Can someone help me PLEASE?!?!?!

Specs (yes, my comp is a pos):
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
GeForce 2 MX400 64 Meg.
256 meg DDR ram

Reinstall windows when you do a major upgrade like you just did.

Yeah, reinstalling Windows is certainly something to try.

I always do a complete reinstall that when I'm building a new machine or adding anything major.

Should I do a fresh install (ie. format, reinstall) or just reinstall over my current Windows?

I suggest a format. There's nothing like a fresh harddrive ;)

A clean reinstall might help, but if all you did was upgrade your CPU (and not your motherboard, etc.) then I fail to see why such an upgrade would cause a problem like you mention. It's probably a driver problem somewhere, however, so by reformatting and reinstalling all your updated drivers from scratch, you may fix the problem.

Well, I tried some drivers, and still no luck. First I tried the beta drivers from nZone again, now I just get tearing instead of the white flashing. I also tried the newest offical Nvidia drivers, and I have the same problem. Think I should try some previous ones and see if I have any better luck with those?

Aha tearing, easily fixed.

Put wait for vertical sync, in the options dialog.

It's caused by the game displaying to many frames for your monitor to handle.

Hmm... I tried that, and it didn't do a thing.. I guess I must not be thinking of the right thing. I signed up with photodump so I could show a couple of pics of what's going on now.

Pic #1
Pic #2

Hopefully that helps.

I FIXED IT!!! WOOT! It was a driver problem. My vid card didn't like either of the drivers I was using, so I switched to Omega's 1.6177 driver and it's all good now :D

Back