Make my own song.

Garfield_

Reaction score
Haha it sounds silly, ive never sang before, but I really want to try writing my own song and record it. What gear would I need to do this, a decent microphone and a sound editing software like Reason, this would do or ?

Firstly download mmmbop by Hanson, give it a listen through about 10 times, chilling out with your bottle of milk. Not sure where to go from there though, good luck.

Ok could you atleast have told me the purpose of downloading it ?

:D

Garfield_ said:
Ok could you atleast have told me the purpose of downloading it ?

:D

to say:

"this is the mainstream crap you'll need to release a record, do you really want to rape your ears this much?"

im not releasing a record, just wanted to do this for fun =)

And so ends your first lesson in cynicism. Only three hundred more until you're ready for the music industry. :D

But really. All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper if you're writing lyrics, and if you're writing out sheet music than you'll need a basic understanding of music theory. Its like writing a book, all you need is an idea.

well, u definetly need a mic.
if yer just wanna do it for fun, no bells and whistles, u dont even really need reason (although i recommend it) u can just record w/ windows record under accessories.
it sounds pretty bad, but if ur doin it for fun, theres no easier way than that

do what i do. get an electric guitar, a computer microphone (cheap one will do), an amp, and audio editing software (fl studio is the one i use). now think up an idea that seems original to you and shape it with your ears with the musical knowledge you have previously attained. start with a simple melody that makes sense. then add passion, complexity, and all that jazz into the mix, and create something. sound complicated? it is... but the fun of it all overwhelms any laziness, and your passion will be enough to make, at your first attempts, something that'll make you go, "entertaining, i'm definitely getting better." and the fact is you look back and check out your own creativity and you complement it with the new; it can't go wrong, not when it sounded right in the first place. go for it.

well when i record guitar stuff i use audacity, its a cheap little program but i like it

I've got Reason and Cubase now, though I really prefer Reason for now. I've been learning myself to do some beats and stuff with the virtual instruments :D

Back