Making an intro movie

mikeandike22

Reaction score
is there a way to make an intro movie inside of hammer, because to do it in 3ds max or xsi would take a lot of work to make the enviroments.

They did it for Day of Defeat back in 2.0 I believe.

I believe I read something somewhere saying you could get an intro movie in your mod by changing the Valve video from the guys head to a movie of your intro.
I'm not sure what file format it's in, but if it's .avi you could probably map an area, run about in it / set up NPC actors, cap a video of it using Fraps and then tamper with it in VirtualDub or some such program... it all depends on what you want, really... I guess.

/me toddles off to a university interview

You need turn your video into a 'bink'

Its pretty complicated.....I remember reading how its done somewhere, hold on...Ill have a look

when creating Bink videos, we do indeed import the individual TGAs outputted by the Source engine and .WAV file into Premiere.

At Valve, we like to have our videos very hi-res and widescreen, so before even outputting the TGA's, we make sure the resolution of the game window is at 1024 x 576, and that the pixel aspect ratio is corrected with the command "r_anamorphic 1". In Premiere we also make sure that our editing space mirrors the outputting settings (1024 x 576, square pixel aspect ratio, 30fps). This takes a lot of disk space, so make sure you have plenty of it.

Through Premiere, we add all the necessary fade ins/outs edits, and other post-production stuff like titling, motion graphics, and overlays. Then, when we are ready to output a "Binkable file", we will output a Quicktime file. We use the QT Animation compressor when doing this and the sound is non-compressed. The Animation compressor provides a verynon-lossy, and a virtually NON-COMPRESSED file. We have outputted 1-minute trailers through this methodology and have yielded ~2GB-sized files. So, again, make sure you have plenty of disk space!

The Quicktime movie file is now ready to be brought into the RAD Video Tools application to Bink (please see http://www.radgametools.com/ for more information). The critical settings we use for our videos are: Compress data rate to 1,000,000 bytes at 1024 x 576, audio is compressed at the 4 (barely lossless). Depending upon how much pixel information, and action in your videos (and we know HL2 has a lot), the compression process can take up to 4-5 hours on a 3.0 gHz machine.

The program will yield a much-smaller .BIK file which you can turn into an .EXE. We tend to use the "clear the outside window" feature to black when creating an executable to create a more of a cinematic presentation (looks on-screen like letter box output), and we have used "preload entire file into memory" option lately in order to avoid streaming from the HD in order to create a smoother-playing file.

^^^^
hope this helps

i still dont know what program is best to make the actual video in, this is all useful but cant really help until the video is made.

Back