Making solid colored paint texture?

coolcps

Reaction score
Hi, I need to make two textures, one offwhite and one burgandy, I wanted these to represent a painted wall. Of course, if I just take a solid color from PS and put it in the map (for CS) it ends up looking pretty bad. In real life the stuff would look like this (burgandy on the top trim and offwhite inbetween the windows).

pic9tl.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make something like that look quality?

You could use that picture you posted. With a picture editing program use the selection tool to cut out as large a chunk as possible of each of those colours while avoiding edge lines and imperfections that would repeat badly. Then you simply paste it into Wally or whatever you are using to create textures. You will likely need to paste it several times depending on the resolution of the texture you are creating. Then just use blur or smudge or something(I'm not exactly a texturing pro haha) to make it look nice and seamless. It is actually a pretty common practice nowadays to use digital photography to create textures.

You could photoshop's "add noise" filter to it to break it up the colour a bit, put gradients on it and all sorts of stuff. Probably the easiest way is to cheat and take an existing texture that looks similar to what you want from HL2 or somewhere, and in Photoshop adjust it's colour to purple.

two things: one, if it looks ugly in real life (burgandy, for example) it will stand out more in game.

two, get some good pictures of the area you want to texture from with as high quality of a camera as you can get your hands on, bring it in to photoshop on a computer with a color-calibrated monitor, and make it look good. unfortunately, color correction software is expensive and hard to find, but there are programs (such as kodak dcs photodesk) that will auto-correct from a gray point (go to a photography store and get a gray card, should be about ten to fifteen bucks)and take a picture with the gray card in the frame to get a good 'reference' color. then, bring it into photodesk, and use the 'autocorrect' tool on the gray card, and apply the resulting settings to the picture without the gray card in it.

as for getting the color you want, bring the picture into photoshop, select some of it, and 'free transform' it (ctrl+t) and then stretch it out so it takes up the whole frame (you'll have to save it as a different name and do this for each of the colors you want, but its worth it). when you're done free transforming, all you have to do is press enter to get rid of the transform box.

hope this helps

you can change colors of any existing textures by changing the render mode to color and choosing the color.. if you want a solid color you just have to pick a texture that is a solid color already, otherwise it retains the edges of the texture, just a different color..(so you could make burgandy wood out of the existing textures for example)
not sure if this helps!

Back