Manipulator and turrets?

M

Mr.Chupon

Do you guys think that with the manipulator gun we will be allowed to catch a turret and walk around whit that killing everything it sees ??

That would actually be really cool. Sorry if the idea already has been posted...:eek:

I'd think the turrets would probably be disabled before it's taken out, but you could launch it at people!

Valve said that you can't pick up enemies, so that might apply to turrets as well.

Originally posted by PainLord
I bet you could do it in a mod though. Mail him

Yeah he said it's possible. They just decided to turn it off for gameplay reasons.

Originally posted by Mr.Chupon
Do you guys think that with the manipulator gun we will be allowed to catch a turret and walk around whit that killing everything it sees ??

AIMBOT!!!!!!

Actually that sounds cool. I hope we can do it.

Gabe said that you would be able to upgrade the Manipulator (err?), so does it mean that we would be able to carry heavier and heavier stuff?

Like in the beginning in Half-Life 2 (just an example) the manipulator gun only can carry light stuff like soda cans and cameras, and further in you can be able to carry stuff like radiators, planks, monitors etc. etc.

Originally posted by Loke
Gabe said that you would be able to upgrade the Manipulator (err?), so does it mean that we would be able to carry heavier and heavier stuff?

Like in the beginning in Half-Life 2 (just an example) the manipulator gun only can carry light stuff like soda cans and cameras, and further in you can be able to carry stuff like radiators, planks, monitors etc. etc.

Yeah, that's what we're guessing.

I wonder when it stops. Flinging cars would be amazing.

I think that anything that is only disabled because of gameplay should be enabled in cheat mode :p

I wanna do freaky things

i emailed gabe and he said that the manipulator will upgrade throughout the game picking up and throwing heavier and heavier things.

WHEN did Valve say you cant pick up enemies???? In the demo they picked up an enemy body and swung it around in circles... Gabe says that they wouldnt show people something and then not let them do it. I believe you'll be able to pick up enemies live and dead. :p

The gravity beam tool shown in the tech demo will not be available in the final game, it was just there for display purposes.

The in-game manipulator would be far too powerful if it could pick up live enemies or cars. It will almost certainly not be able to do those things.

The heaviest things it should be able to pick up would probably be stuff like big solid dense objects (like safes, etc) which would probably only be around when there's a big enemy to tackle, such as an ant lion commander or a strider.

Originally posted by Blud Stane

WHEN did Valve say you cant pick up enemies???? In the demo they picked up an enemy body and swung it around in circles... Gabe says that they wouldnt show people something and then not let them do it. I believe you'll be able to pick up enemies live and dead. :p

It's somewhere in the Valve Info thread. Somebody asked if you could pick up a headcrab and smash him against the wall, but Gabe said its turned off for enemies. The tech demo is .. well a tech demo, plus the body was dead so that doen't really tell us much.

@ Mr_Matt:
I think the manipulator starts out carrying medium-sized objects (i.e. safes, barrels) and later gets upgraded to carry much heavier items. I'm sure Gabe said somewhere that you can pick up a car with it once it's upgraded, but there probably won't be a lot of cars to use, and the only place you'll find them is on the street. So you probably won't be able to throw a car too often.

bullshit, you can pick up enemies in the demo so you can do it in the game... they wouldnt show a feature that's not gonna make it. The blue beam might not show up. In either case I'll make a cheat myself or turn that feature on cause pickin up enemies is just as important as a dumpster to me.

dude, see the difference: in the demo vids he picked up a DEAD BODY. there's a very big difference gameplay-wise if you pick up a body, versus picking up a grunt that's shooting at you and launching him across the room. Agreed that this would be possible with mods/cheats, but in the game as shipped it would be too unfair an advantage for Gordon to have. They never picked up a live enemy in the demos, only bodies; thus you will be able to pick up bodies in the game, and not living enemies.

I don't think it would be "cheap" to be able to pick up live enemies and fling them across the room or off a cliff. Think about it. Before you get the chance to "manipulate" him (or her ;)) you first need to get within a few feet of the enemy. This gives the enemy a good long chance to shoot at you. Then once you've got them grabbed, they will likely still be shooting at you, but since they're about two feet away they will be hitting with every shot.
Even against melee enemies such as zombies and Antlions, its a win-lose situation: Do you want to go up close and get attacked so you can fling the Antlion into other enemies and kill three with one attack? Or do you want to play it safe and shoot from a safe distance?

Originally posted by Blud Stane
bullshit, you can pick up enemies in the demo so you can do it in the game... they wouldnt show a feature that's not gonna make it. The blue beam might not show up. In either case I'll make a cheat myself or turn that feature on cause pickin up enemies is just as important as a dumpster to me.

*laughs at the hyperactive child*

A tech demo is designed to show how the game engine works, not what you'll be doing ingame. I thought you'd even have the slightest shread of sense as to notice that.

Its a bugger that u never see gordon pointing the manipulator at a living combine during the trapdown coz as we have heard and seen the manipulator "opens" when its pointed at smth it can lift. Maby if u watch the end of 600mb u can see it.

Would be fun smashing a barrel over a combine's head, thru ^_^

Back