Manipulator Gun - Thread of Ideas

Incoming

Reaction score
* Puts on Flame Protective Suit *

I'm not a member of the "SPAM H-L 2 Board with Man.-Gun Threads"-organisation. I posted this idea in another thread but got no answers. I think the idea I'm about to present opens up some cool tactical possabilities (if it's possible that is).

So, here it goes;

If you had a lose end of a long wire, with its other end attached to a wall, a pole, big hunka stone or something. Would it be possible to pick up the lose end of the wire with the man.-gun and run around a bunch of approaching zombies (or whatever) and like, tie em up in a big pile of foes (provided that the wire's durability is higher than the gathered enemygroup's collective "I wanna get outta here and rip your head off, Freeman"-strength) ?

//////

If anyone got some other cool ideas what maybe could be done with the man.-gun, please share 'em here. That way, we could limit all forthcoming manipulator-gun threads and also provide some heavy tactics to use for the entire community :E

Yeah that should work... I don't know though, such small and felxible entities always glitch, so I think they made such objects just ungrabable or something...

It depends on how many different sort of "Hinge" points there are in the rope I guess.

Could be possible..... but I wouldnt know for sure..

Yeah, and don't get me wrong either - I mean, I AM well aware that such a situation probably WON'T appear in the game. It is not right to think that even Valve has managed to think of and implement ALL "cool" things that could be done with the physics into the game.

But maybe it could be something a level-creator/modder could use.

You would have to mod in the animations and the "behavior" of choking a person. Won't need to do anything for throwing them.

Probably a max of 50 or so flexible points before the engine starts to slow down....

You won't be able to manipulate living things.

And even if you do some console things, there won't be any 'being held' animations or behaviors for being thrown.

We don't know much about ropes yet, we will see.

Naw, he'll probably use his super G-Man powers and warp it onto your face.

Can't mess with the G-Man.

I doubt there will be any wire trapping done in HL 2. The only real explanation for that to be in the game is for it to be one of Father Gregory's traps. And from the looks of it, the traps are much cooler IMHO.

Yeah, if you get the vid that has all the e3 2003 vids together with the guy talking, he says it when your watching the traptown vid.

i like the idea of that trap... How about something where you manipulate one end of a wire with a brick on the other end, you could like swing the manipulator which would swing the rope, make some crazy flail thing, strike the nasties with it.

If you were able to wrap wires around things everyone would 'do a star wars' on the striders :)

I doubt it. Valve tries to keep away from copying people.

what are you talking about?

some new grenade that you would like to see a part of HL2?

If it weren't for the fact you haven't shown that much knowledge of HL2 in other thread I'd think that might be beta info...

Nah, I mean the leak. It's often called a beta for some reason.

Still beta info.....not good at all at this site... :bounce:

Look at whatever website you want.

Just as long as you stick to the rules of the forums when you're in them.

I've actually asked Valve quite a few questions about the "ropes." At first, it wasn't clear that they could become "detached" and flap free. But then we saw exactly that in the 2004 video, when the combine blow up the roadway ahead of you. After seeing that, and knowing that the ropes are basically physics nodes with the rope drawn between them, I would'nt be surprised either way: either if they let you use the manipulator to grab them, or if they didn't (because it would look too weird).

I do, however, very much doubt that, even if you could grab it, you could wrap up a bunch of zombies. First of all, there are only a limited amount of nodes: i.e., only so much the rope can bend. Second of all, I don't think we've seen any evidence that the ropes can even block characters. They are affected by physics, but so are the sparks: they don't necessarily affect other objects back.

Right, and even if ropes could block NPC's, it doesn't mean we can trip the strider.

Romeo... Ugh. What does that spoiler have anything to do with what we are talking about? And... Bah I don't know.

I am sure Valve will make a puzzle involving ropes, Someone said they had a field day implementing physics puzzles in the game. :)

please cram any beta stuff up your arse, it's annoying, i want at least a little of the game to remain a mystery

romeo0201 I have deleted all of your posts in this thread. Please do not post spoilers from the build of the game that was stolen from Valve. They're not appreciated and playing that version of the game is illegal.

We have a "three strikes and your out" system here, consider that your first.

Damnit! I read romeo0201's post containing the beta-spoiler :(

Please shoot me.

To be fair to him he did put spoiler tags on it!

I'm beginning to think that they were a pretty useless addition to the forums. I bloody do it myself too.

Chris_D said:
To be fair to him he did put spoiler tags on it!

I'm beginning to think that they were a pretty useless addition to the forums. I bloody do it myself too.

He didn't put a spoilertag on the last post :(
But yeah, I'm having a very hard time not highlighting those spoilers too :p

Im sorry for it, I thought that was what the spoiler tag for and I know not that it was from beta info. Sorry. Anyone who I have offeneded please forgive

Thanks Patsy

Yea, don't do it again or some HL2.net guys will come and raid your house.

totally unrelated but I think an extremely gory medieval mod would be so awesome.

To swing you sword you hold the mouse button and then move the mouse in the direction to swing, the sword is then 'manipulated' and moves as a world object.

A mace is done similar, but think of the possibilities... hmm.. *daydreams*

yes also could work to make a real sw lightsaber combating simulator. Current SW game use predefine swings and blocks with this you have to physically push and then block by moving mouse at the shot.

I am sure Valve will make a puzzle involving ropes, Someone said they had a field day implementing physics puzzles in the game.

Hehe, I can imagine ! Just think of all the possabilities Valve has made for themselves with H-L 2. It has gotta be so fun for the level creators to be able to design whatever neat ideas jumps into their heads. (I bet they've had a small competition between the level builders who could come up with the best trap/puzzle.)

And I thought they had come a long way with using ropes in H-L: Opposing Force :E

One thing I'm just gonna LOVE with H-L 2 is getting people to follow you. I mean, by now they should've been able to make such a competent A.I. that you DON'T have to turn around every tenth step, checking to see if Mr. Barney/Scientist is still following you and to let him catch up with you.

* Minor spoiler from Blue Shift *

The most annoying part of the H-L series for me was in Blue Shift when you had to lead Dr. Rosenburg to that elevator behind those walls you have to break down. Taking this guy down the stairs, I had to move by a speed of like six pixels/sec. or else he would stop after every step saying that he needs to rest. And if I got like 3 - 4 meters away from that dude, he would stop briefly, saying "We should stick together." and then turn around and run back almost all the way. Forcing me to go get that 'hole again. You can't imagine how much I longed for H-L 2's probably MUCH improved A.I. then !!!

lonefox said:
totally unrelated but I think an extremely gory medieval mod would be so awesome.

To swing you sword you hold the mouse button and then move the mouse in the direction to swing, the sword is then 'manipulated' and moves as a world object.

A mace is done similar, but think of the possibilities... hmm.. *daydreams*

They already have a game JUST LIKE THAT! It is 7 years old too! I can't remmeber the name right now but it was so awesome chopping lil pigs and stuff up.

Hrm, I think I might know what your talking about... Rune maybe?

Back