mapping in 3dsmax

I

inzan3

is it possible to make half life 1/cs maps in 3ds max ?
please if you know any tutorials out there and have time to post em, please do.
thanks in advance.

bye.

there was a thread on this exact subject before the content loss, where I explained in detail. Here is the short version. Half-life1 & 2 maps are made of convex objects called brushes. Each brush is defined by the solid region bound by four or more infinite planes. 3DS maps consist of polygons, thus the best you can do is create one brush per polygon. Ig you imagine that a cube in 3DS is made of 12 trianges, that would mean you would have to use 12 brushes, where a cube in HL can be made with one. Hope that was sufficient. For more information about the .map filetype, search for the Quake Map Specs on google.

btw derby, hl1 .maps are made of brushes but the .bsp consists of polygons so it would be possible if you change the compile tools

You could probably write a program to compile a 3D package's models into a valid Half-Life map, but you are talking an extremely complex program, not to mention very specialized geometry to work with, all polygon meshes would probably have to be closed, texture coding would be a nightmare, And when do you make a brush and when do you make a model ? you would have to either mark them in the program, or make it so that brushes were only convex polygon meshes. It seems like it woudl be more work than it is worth, in the end.

There is however, no reason why you can't do all your modeling in max blocking out portions you intend to be brushes instead of models. Then your prefabs are already in the level and you know where they go. i find the navigation tools for 3D programs are not conducive to large map-like enviorments, rather being designed for movie set styled sets. Not to mention you can't just pop into the engine and test out map flow while running max.

Is There A Way To Make Objects In WorldCraft and Then Export Them To 3DsMax ??

Export to DXF in worldcraft, then import the DXF into 3D Studio

In HL2 you can make the hole map in 3dsm, maya and so on and export it to the map editor and save it.

That's a terrible idea though. The amount of non-convex geometry you'd be likely to get by doing that would mean you'd have to spend half your time in Hammer fixing it.

Originally posted by hax
btw derby, hl1 .maps are made of brushes but the .bsp consists of polygons so it would be possible if you change the compile tools

I am well aware of the fact that HL1 .bsp files are polygon based, but it's not as simple as just changing the compile tools. BSP stands for binary space partition. That is each polygon is stored in a large binary tree where the left subtree contains all the polygons on one side of a diving plane and the right children contins polygons on the other side. BSP trees are used to gain the correct drawing order of world polygons. The reason .map files use the plane based definition is to simplify the process of creating the BSP tree, as there are simple ways to test for the intersection of two planes etc. If you were to try to convert a 3DsM file into a .bsp file, you would not only have to build the binary tree yourself, but you would have to find the optimum places to divide the map, in the case of polygons that are not completely on one side or other of a plane.

There are definatly ways to make HL maps in 3DsM but it just isn't a good idea. It doesn't take long to learn worldcraft, compared to something like 3DsM which as a lot more features.

BSP rendering is evil.. hopefully valve wont use it in halflife 3

Originally posted by smilez
BSP rendering is evil.. hopefully valve wont use it in halflife 3

Do you have any insight into the problem? As far as I can see, the BSP approach is a great way of determining drawing order at runtime that overcomes many of the problems associated with other approaches, such as the painter's algorithm.

If you have any useful information about why BSP rendering is 'evil' other than the fact that face subdivision probably pissed you off when trying to reduce your r_speeds due to that fact you don't understand the process invloved.

****ed in open spaces

very technical

from what i've seen sources seems to do well in open spaces

the word "pedantic" springs to mind but meh

you didnt ask about source, you asked about the bsp algorithm in relation to disadvantages. so my point stands the bsp algorithm is borked in open spaces cos of the nature of the VIS culling stuff

vis culling has nothing to do with the bsp algorithm

the bsp alogeithm merely states which order polygons are to be drawn in

visibilty culling wether from precalulated data (a la quake 1) or on the fly is seperated from this process and can be implemented in a umber of different ways, some of which cope well with large outdoor areas.

it's my job to be pedantic :)

Yes it works! You can save alot of time with this tool because you do not have to create every single brush to make your walls or floor. Create the outer walls with the line tool, set the height and width of the walls, click the output button and you now have walls. Click on the create floors button and you now have floors :) pretty easy

yeah it works!! v2.2 is free and good enough to export "maxmade"map to hl1 hummer and then in future to hl2 hummer ( they said it's possible so ;) )

Hiya all,

I'm new to HL2 map editing but an old hand at GMax etc.... but I find the Hammer editor rather odd and difficult to use. Has anyone used Game Level Builder 3.0 successfully with GMax to produce a level?

Cheers.

Jon

Back