Mapping Video Tutorials

IchI

Reaction score
Hey, I am at it again. I have only just finished my first mapping video tutorials and its alright. I will proberly remake it when the times come to actually officially release them on my own website. But thats some time away.

This tutorial will proberly be one of the first you ever do. It is aimed at a total beginner who has most likly ever used hammer before. I just want some feedback on the actual way its done.

Anyway, I will keep this fairly breif because I want to go play Half-Life 2. Here you go:

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/;32907

Ill check it out tell you what i think.

Good tut. (I knew everything already, but good none the less.)

I really enjoyed it. "Thingymabob" Hehehe, if you do anymore can lead into more advanced stuff maybe.. a map that the person can make along with the video and each video adds more things to it. Just a suggestion, awesome stuff!

great

great video tut :)
please can you make more with just showing how to make breakable glass or just things on there own ..

Good job Ichi, i'll have a butchers when i get home from work.
Im looking 2 start mapping for hl2, im thinking of getting a laptop to so i can do a bit in work :E
Cheers m8 :thumbs:

Nice1 Ichi

If this is anything like your plane modelling tutorial it will inspire n00bs like myself who are too scared to touch hammer a chance to put some of their ideas to use.

Its nice to see a community who care about not only professional modders, but new modders too :)

Ill check this out for sure.

BRILLIANT! very nice tutorial. it clarified alot for me. please do more. please im begging you.

professional modders

lol, i just found that really oxymoronic
ps. rad stands for radiosity, and it bakes all ur lightmaps. Vis i think is for entities (im not sure tho)
not bad, but i dont kno why u made the crates out of bsp.

wow your video tut got planethalflife coverage. nice work man.

Wonderful tutorial. I've been looking for a good tutorial on basic mapping for a while now.

You should do a more indepth one. Perhaps make an entire map for Counter-Strike or something.

AMAZING TUTORIAL MANNN!!! just what i was looking for, came to the forums in the hope of getting a few hints and tips on how to get started and stumbled on your video tutorial :) ... gonna have to watch it a couple more times then give it a go :thumbs:

im a complete beginner with hammer but it looks like theres loads u can do with it once u get good with it...keep up them video tutorials im looking forward to episode 2 :) i need all the help i can get

question : if u were to keep the hostage in the room would u not have had to place him on the floor? he was hovering (i know u only used him as a scale guide) but i was just wondering, or is that what compiling does? snaps objects to ground?

just finished making my box room :) very easy using your tutorial i didnt have a clue what i was doing until i watched that and the way these txt tutorials are written just confuses me half the time,if u are gonna make another tutorial maybe u could include:

how to make an open area (sky etc)
how to cut holes in rooms for doorways, windows etc (example if i wanted to make another room next to the 1 ive made how would i cut a doorway through or would this all have to be done in 1 go, as in start again?)
how to place breakable objects and glass
how to create water
how to create slopes, tunnels and stairs
how to place objects properly as i placed some but they werent there when i loaded map
how to place a working objective in map (bomb site or hostages that work)

thanks loads for the first tutorial ...it got me started, if you arnt gonna make anymore i understand, its time consuming to help us map making noobs, but if u are maybe u could include tutorial for some of the above :)... for now im just gonna tinker with it and see how i get on

thanks again IchI top stuff m8 u should have your own tv show :thumbs:

I enjoyed the format of the video and the information was well paced. Maybe you should have a cheat sheet with you next time though =)

Ye, don't worry. I plan to make more for all those people out there. I am just waiting for the Full SDK release so I can make all my video tutorials corispond to half-life 2 and not CS: Source. I will obviasly do CS: Source tutorials, but they will only be how to play a bomb and how to do CS: Source stuff. Most of the physics etc... will be done in Half-Life 2.

Just give me a couple of weeks. I plan on having a website up. But that may take longer.

Anyway, I am glad u enjoyed it. SHIT I'M LATE FOR WORK!! ARGGHHHH

CYAS!

Excellent...just excellent...

I used to make maps for Rogue Spear, then Ghost Recon, and then Raven Shield...and now that you've made it so simple to understand SDK (which is just an unbelievable system) I will be working with it most definitely. Your tutorial reminds me of the video tuts that came out when Rogue Spear (that's Rainbow 6 - 2, to you youngsters:-p) had it's mapping tools released.

Anyhow...thanks for putting in the time to do this!

Thanks alot I found your tuturials very helpful.
Its nice to hear the sound of another english bloke on the web :p

Fantastic video. The idea was great, presentation was nice, and the accent was even better :D

Please, please, PLEASE make more of these. Amazing tutorial.

Please make more...i started from not knowing a single thing about hammer, now I have a very basic understanding...I could get a map in game...

can u make a tutorial on how to make breakable things like glass(like from cs_office, and wood that breaks into peices

Nice tutorial IchI, very informative. Looking forward to the full SDK ones.

/me doffs cap

wonderful. I learned a good bit on textures. Oh how I hate working with them. Make more! I want to see funky stuff like doors and triggers and shiny tile floors!

Very nice job man! I'm new to the HL2 engine, coming from the BF42/BFV community, and this engine is lightyears ahead. Thanks for taking the time to make this vid :)

I just wanna tell you that your tutorials are fantastic!

Keep it coming.

IchI said:
I wish they would release the full SDK :(
Yeah, I hope that it's coming before christmas, because i can't wait for your VTMs :D

It helped me much with the textures but I still cant make open spaces work with sky textures and lighting.

Third party files created with the newer quicktime never work for me :(

(yes I have the latest quicktime, reinstalled it often enough etc.. it just doesn't work)

I vote for a different encoder ;)

Excellent! Nice tutorial, I'm learning Hammer, and I knew quite a bit of what you taught, but making a hostage first to scale my rooms was a great idea... I never thought of it before. Thanks :)

hi, ive been following the tutorial vid on how to make a basic room, I get up to where he says to find it in the main veiw port (the port where its pure black) but no matter what i do i carnt seem to find. Ive followed the tutorials about 5 times now to make sure im doing everything right and as far as i can see i am but i just carnt get the floor into the view port.

any help would be greatfull

make sure you have created some brushes to look at first. then you can put your mouse over the viewport, press z, and use the mouse and w, a, s, d to move around just like in a game.

Triggerhappy41 said:
make sure you have created some brushes to look at first. then you can put your mouse over the viewport, press z, and use the mouse and w, a, s, d to move around just like in a game.

you can also aim the camera from within the other viewports IF you get lost in the 3D viewport :) Ill see if I can make a videotutorial about it lol.

DeltaBlast said:
Third party files created with the newer quicktime never work for me :(

(yes I have the latest quicktime, reinstalled it often enough etc.. it just doesn't work)

I vote for a different encoder ;)

The latest Quicktime thirdparty movies use the Sorenson3 codec
by default, which only comes with Quicktime 6.

what part of "(yes I have the latest quicktime, reinstalled it often enough etc.. it just doesn't work)" didn't you get? :p

I have 6.5.2 pro atm

hey that was such a great tutorial! i loved it! u rock! please keep it up!!!!

One problem.....when i click RUN it says...

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the path specified."
do you want to continue

please someone help?

no worries i sorted it out. man u have to make more tutorials hehe they rock.

Back