Material and dynamic lighting questions

E

Emon

Just two questions.

1. For materials, does anyone know if you could have a large sheet of wood, and have a bullet make a hole in it instead of snapping it in half?

2. What's the word on dynamic lighting? Does HL2 support dynamic lightmaps at all? Can I have a sun rise and set, changing the map from day to night? Can I have a light fly across the room and watch the shadows on the main architecture of the room change (things that are lightmapped that is)?

Not sure about 1.

You can't do 2. HL2 uses static lightmaps (much like original HL). There's a small amount of dynamic lighting (the area around the player when they fire, or flashlights etc), but these aren't true d-lights - they just increase the brightness of a given area.

For 1: you'll probably have the choice of the power of the bullet so it doesn't broke it (if that's what you meant)

Wow, that sucks... a lot. :(

I guess, though, you couldn't get such high resolution lightmaps with those intense radiosity calculations and have them dynamic.

What about Hammer, does it have a lighting preview at least, with shadows?

Oh, what about moving lights that move along a predefined path? Moving shadows, but static paths. Lightmaps could be calculated for each frame.

I also assume we can have flickering lights, toggleable lights, like Quake lightstyles, correct?

"I'm not sure where people get the idea that HL-2 doesn't support dynamic lighting."

A qoute from gabe....

Okay, okay, please elaborate. Dynamic lighting, or dynamic shadows? Yeah, we can see the dynamic lights very clearly. I assume when you fire a gun next to your partner, there's a duplicate shadow of different darkness from the flash (I assume this would be turned off by default, that gets intense, see Serious Sam :) )

The best question would be, "Can I create a true day/night cycle?"

Originally posted by Emon
Okay, okay, please elaborate. Dynamic lighting, or dynamic shadows? Yeah, we can see the dynamic lights very clearly. I assume when you fire a gun next to your partner, there's a duplicate shadow of different darkness from the flash (I assume this would be turned off by default, that gets intense, see Serious Sam :) )

The best question would be, "Can I create a true day/night cycle?"

we cant elaborate, we dont really know, just wait for the game and see.

Well I wasn't sure if there was any more information on that.

Back