Math Genuises

Ikerous

Reaction score
I know a lot of the people on this forum seem to be rather good at math, so help me out.
A line with slope m passes through the point (0, 4) and has the equation y=mx + 4.

Write the distance d between the line and the point (3, 1) as a function of m.

The only variable in the distance equation can be m.

If you can figure this out, you're smarter than i am.

If it helps any, i can give you the answer.
Its in the back of the book. I just need to figure out how they got it.

haha ... you're in algebra 2 ? im doin that shit .. .but i dont feel like doing it

No, im in calc. I dont know why were doing this :-/
Its hard though.
I think were doing it cuz the second part of the question is about derivatives. That part is easy though.

You need help with your English too, by the looks of it.

I'm definately not a Maths genius, far from it ;( Sorry.

Easy peasy just subsitute the co-ordinate values into it.
1=3m +4
-3=3m
therefore m=-1

Fat Tony! said:
Easy peasy just subsitute the co-ordinate values into it.
1=3m +4
-3=3m
therefore m=-1
you can use the other coordinate value as well :D

Aren't we looking for d in terms of m and not the value of m?

Edit: Working on it but it doesn't look pretty.

You have to come up with an equation to find the distance between the line and that point for any value of m...

the answer is:

d=3|x+1| / sqrt(m^2 + 1)

Now can anyone explain why?

There's a handy formula for finding the perpendicular distance from a point (h,k) to a line with equation ax + by + c = 0. It's (|ah + bk + c|)/sqrt(a^2 + b^2)

In this case h=3, k=1, a=m, b=-1,c=4 therefore the distance equals

(|(3*m) + (-1*1) + 4|)/sqrt(m^2 + 1)
simplifies to
(|3*m + 3|)/sqrt(m^2 + 1)
simplifies to
3|m+1|/sqrt(m^2 + 1)

I can get the co-ordiantes that the lines will intersect in terms of m but not the distance. Not because I couldn't but because i'm too lazy and I already did a whole page of working thinking this was going to be easy. There has to be a simpler way of doing it though that just treating the m's as you would if they were a number.

I knew there had to be a handy formula - there always is in maths but they forget to tell you it most of the time.

JimmehH said:
There's a handy formula for finding the perpendicular distance from a point (h,k) to a line with equation ax + by + c = 0. It's (|ah + bk + c|)/sqrt(a^2 + b^2)

In this case h=3, k=1, a=m, b=-1,c=4 therefore the distance equals

(|(3*m) + (-1*1) + 4|)/sqrt(m^2 + 1)
simplifies to
(|3*m + 3|)/sqrt(m^2 + 1)
simplifies to
3|m+1|/sqrt(m^2 + 1)
Thank god math is so simple.

DeathMark said:
The complete and utter retards on these forums seem to balance it out though.

eh?? was that comment indirectly directed at people like me...

Damn You Mildly Intelligent People!!!

Where did you come from? No it wasn't directed indirectly or directly at you because I'm not too sure I know who people like you are. Sorry if I inadvertantly offended you.

DeathMark said:
Where did you come from? No it wasn't directed indirectly or directly at you because I'm not too sure I know who people like you are. Sorry if I inadvertantly offended you.

it wasn’t a serious post :D I just felt like posting something random that made no sense in the context of the other designated posts that existed within this thread :cheers:

Mine wasn't serious either and I was thinking of flaming you for the sake of it but it's easier to just be democratic about things.

i got a B in AS maths and then it flew from my mind, you guys are on form.

I failed a basic standards math test in Minnesota, but I still scored better than 76% of the school on the ASVAB test in the math section...

Back