Memory Error.

B

Blood.Bullet

Hi, I am actually having a serious problem. I bought some Corsair RAM about 3 weeks ago, when it arrived I was playing everything fine. But when I started playing some serious gaming, the computer just crashed and restarted. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic test and found out that the ERAND and LRAND tests kept failing. OK, so I exchanged it, the exact same problem was there. Can anyone help me on why this problem is there? Can it be possible that I bought 2 memory sticks with the same problem? I actually read a thread about this with another person and he said, when he put the memory in another comp. it didn't fail those tests, but I didn't try that because I need it in this comp. Can anyone tell me if there is a way that I can fix this problem? Please help, I have been trying to fix this problem, I have been running into problem after problem. Thanks in advance.

Can someone please help, I really need to get this problem fixed.

Try running Memtest86, and if you get errors on it contact your retailer/corsair. What do you mean when you say you "exchanged it"? Some new RAM or did you just switch slots? Or did you remove one of the sticks?

Hi, I am actually having a serious problem. I bought some Corsair RAM about 3 weeks ago, when it arrived I was playing everything fine. But when I started playing some serious gaming, the computer just crashed and restarted. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic test and found out that the ERAND and LRAND tests kept failing. OK, so I exchanged it, the exact same problem was there. Can anyone help me on why this problem is there? Can it be possible that I bought 2 memory sticks with the same problem? I actually read a thread about this with another person and he said, when he put the memory in another comp. it didn't fail those tests, but I didn't try that because I need it in this comp. Can anyone tell me if there is a way that I can fix this problem? Please help, I have been trying to fix this problem, I have been running into problem after problem. Thanks in advance.

OK, I have new developments. I tested the memory on my other rig with the same exact test and it passed everything with no errors. I also put a extra 256 stick I had laying around, and tested that 256 in both of the slots of this rig that I am on right now and it passed both, so that concludes that there is no RAM problem and no slot problem. As for compatibility, my mobo supports all the was up to PC3200 DDR400 RAM and that is exactly what I have bought. So with this said, can someone PLEASE help me fix this problem? Now it is obvious the problem is something in the configuration. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I tryed setting the AGP Aparture to the lowest possible since i saw that some people said that may be the problem. But nothing. I am about to freakin' cry (not cry, but explode). I really need some help from you guys on what I should change in my configurations or anyway I can fix this problem. :(

I need to know the exact motherboard model and RAM model #. Some motherboards are rather picky and what type of memory they will accept.

Blood.Bullet said:
I have a VIA PM800 with Corsair PC3200 DDR400 RAM.

specific model number on the RAM. For Corsair it will be like PC3200-C2XL or something along those lines.

Is it Corsair value RAM or XMS RAM?

Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory Retail. That's what I got. Please Help!!!!!!!

Doesn't seem to be any memory issues.

Try one stick at a time and run your memory test. It is either a bad stick or a bad RAM slot.

blahblahblah said:
Doesn't seem to be any memory issues.

Try one stick at a time and run your memory test. It is either a bad stick or a bad RAM slot.
It's not either. I ran the tests on another computer with that RAM and it's been running for 5 hours with no errors. And as for the slots, I ran the same test for 2 hours with each slot and still got nothing with an extra 256 stick I had laying around.

Blood.Bullet said:
It's not either. I ran the tests on another computer with that RAM and it's been running for 5 hours with no errors. And as for the slots, I ran the same test for 2 hours with each slot and still got nothing with an extra 256 stick I had laying around.

Its got to be a compatibility issue. Sounds kind of odd especially since you are using Corsair Ram.

Did you check double check for stupid stuff like jumpers? If you get really bored, try bumping up the latency's a bit and see if that solves your problem.

Otherwise contact your motherboard manufacturer for suggestions.

Have you tried flashing your bios to newest version and retrying test?

BIG said:
Have you tried flashing your bios to newest version and retrying test?
No, how do I do that? Do you think that could fix it? How do I do that?

A BIOS update could fix this. Do you have Windows XP? What games did you try? Did they all crashed? You could also try to clear the CMOS.

Ti133700N said:
A BIOS update could fix this. Do you have Windows XP? What games did you try? Did they all crashed? You could also try to clear the CMOS.
OK, for starters I did not mess with any settings in the BIOS so it's all default. Second, Yes all the games crash sooner or later. Third, Counter-Strike: Source (Got the silver pack :)) and Doom 3. Fourth, could you please tell me how to update my BIOS with a CD instead of a floppy and tell me how to clear my CMOS if it is neccasary knowing I did not mess with the defaults.

Well first off - most motherboards come with different settings than the defaults. In fact - the first thing you should do is set it to defaults when building a system. Try this first.

Most modern motherboards have software that will download and update your bios for you. If yours does not - you're stuck to following the instructions on the site.

And really - if this is absolutely killing you - take it to a local PC shop and tell them what's up. They'll most likely run a memory test for a couple hours and tell you what the problem is. Yes it might cost you a little $$$ - but you gotta ask is the headache worth it?

Back