Midnight on the 16th for steam confirmed yet??

maximus0402

Reaction score
Has anyone at valve said this?? what time will it release on the 16th?? especially since there is time zones involved it would be different for everyone

They'll probably use their time as a basis for the release. Or, my personal crazy theory, they'll unlock it when the first (or 10th or whatever) HL2 CD-Key is registered, which proves that the retail release has started.

Yeah

I think they will just simply open in when they get to work..

Or they celebrate the first cd keys with a little party!!!

Then it begins..

If HL2 is available in stores on the 16th of November, then you would be able to buy it there at the time the store opens, I guess. Because if you'll buy it at 8 AM or something, VALVe has to update Steam to make the game available. If not, you'll sitting around and starring at the HL2 Case. I think that would be unrealistic.

Jeehde2 said:
I think they will just simply open in when they get to work..

Or they celebrate the first cd keys with a little party!!!

Then it begins..

Guys this is a computer program...why does everyone seem to think their is a magical button in the valve offices that says "Release half life 2". Their is no botton to be be pressed. Some guy probably close to a week ago edited an entry in the database so now at some predetermined time the game will star unlockng on steam...sorry no magic button

Dirtball said:
Guys this is a computer program...why does everyone seem to think their is a magical button in the valve offices that says "Release half life 2". Their is no botton to be be pressed. Some guy probably close to a week ago edited an entry in the database so now at some predetermined time the game will star unlockng on steam...sorry no magic button

I like how you know exactly wtf you are talking about.

Oh wait, you dont. Sorry my bad =/.

Sure, there may not be a "Release Half-Life 2" button, however dont you think the people who created Steam/HL2 can..IF NEEDED release HL2 whenever the hell they want? And I think it would be somewhat of a security issue if it was all handled by a program. Think about it- some idiot kid decides to hack into the Steam database, set it to release right then, boom, everyone with pre-order now has a unlocked version. I'd rather have human controll over this =/.

WTF do I know? I just work here.
Wait, no I dont.

-Alix :cheers:

Well, we still haven't heard an "official announcement" per se from Valve, although there was that Gold steam announcement. Vivendi announced the 16th for retail copies. The retail copies are dependent upon steam to get running. Like said before, i bet Valve is looking for a "way" or some statement in their contract that will let them release via Steam ASAP. I'm hoping that Valve will announce a Steam release that may be a few days ahead :) They probably won't/can't, although that would be pretty cool.

Alix McDean said:
Sure, there may not be a "Release Half-Life 2" button, however dont you think the people who created Steam/HL2 can..IF NEEDED release HL2 whenever the hell they want? And I think it would be somewhat of a secruity issue if it was all handled by a program. Think about it- some idiot kid decides to hack into the Steam database, set it to release right then, boom, everyone with pre-order now has a unlocked version. I'd rather have human controll over this =/.

Valve isnt exactly the pinnacle of security now are they? Eh em. ;)

Seriously though, I doubt Valve has some prog running that automatically allows distribution on the 16th. Valve said it themselves, if they find that a store has been selling the game before the 16th, they release it. More than likely there's a lot that goes into opening the distribution system and probably needs an adminstrator to enter codes and such to allow distribution.

Then again, I'm not Valve. And neither are you. Therefore, we could all be full of crap and there could very well be a giant red button on the Valve keyboard that says, "RELEASE HALFLIFE 2".

UmbrellaMaster said:
Valve said it themselves, if they find that a store has been selling the game before the 16th, they release it.

Can you show me this quote? I've heard lots of people mention it, but i still haven't seen the original quote.

Cant some1 e-mail gabe or whoever n find out roughly how it works

Sashswash said:
Can you show me this quote? I've heard lots of people mention it, but i still haven't seen the original quote.

u should be able to find it all by urself. sTeve over at shack states this at the bottom of the hl2 gold thread. he wouldn't say that unless it was confirmed, and even if he did and it was incorrect, he would post a correction...

CS:S was released 11am PST, right? Maybe that's something to go by.

What I'm a bit afraid of, though, is how Steam is able to pull off all the people installing and registering their games at the same time. When CS:S was released, things went surprisingly smoothly, but it's hardly the same as a billion people coming home from the stores with their brand new HL2 and installing Steam and trying to play all at the same time. I wish that Valve would at least give us Steam buyers a bit of a head start. :)

Back