MINERVA: Metastasis 2 released

that was ****ing BRILLIANT, Valve.. hire this man. Minerva dominates the SP mod community :) and chapter 2 is no exception to Foster's trend. He never sacrifices quality for quantity.

I apologize if I offended you, Cargo, I meant to clear up that I fell by accident.

**Spoileriffic!**

Just now I did find the plug I was meant to "pull", saw the monitor and got told to go to the right place. See? I finished it the right way.

**Un-spoilerified**

I love Minerva, it's great. The plot is so immersive, and the maps pack so much fun into such a small load time.

I hope you continue this series a long time until closure!

Dr. Nelly Lemon said:
I apologize if I offended you, Cargo, I meant to clear up that I fell by accident.
Nah, not in the least bit offended - if people get lost and genuinely can't find their way, then it's my failing, not theirs!

(Hmm. Maybe if I put a supply crate in that control room entrance, then it would make it obvious you can get through there somehow? There's going to be a reminder message for when you're returning to the lift and take too long, as well.)

Oh, and Okidoki again: yes, it made me laugh, laugh until I cried! (Or was it the other way round?)

The good news is that I've actually got VTEX to recognise the skybox textures as skybox ones (the documentation was wrong). Now all I have to do is get it to generate the mipmaps properly...

I want to become the PR for this mod. I absolutely adore this mod and its greatness.

The second episode is fabulous!

This mod is insane. Just beat it sound is CRAZY!

Why couldn't Half Life 2 have been this good?

Loved the second episode as much as the first. Although *spoilers* I hope that dead Zombie at the end doesn't mean that the next episode is going to be all 'lol lol zombies' all the way through */spoilers*

This Mod is the best Half-Life 2 SP mod in existence.

Had the first episode for a while, but never played, so when this one was released thought I`d give it a shot, loved the level design, the enemy placement etc, but the truly amazing thing for me, is that in a Combine base, you`ve actually managed to create variety in the rooms, non of them feel like cut and paste jobs. Fantastic.

Please...Just don`t ruin it by putting in zombies, they suck, or if your gonna do zombies, make them the stalker ones (although I doubt that would be impossible to have them animated etc).

Oh...and Valve can`t hire Cargo........he`s got to finish the rest of the story first :D, then they can have him :p

Yep. This is very good stuff. I'm loving this. Role on Episode 3

This is a great mod. I love it. I see some people said they finished it already. I have been at it for 3 hours and not finished yet because I am on the hard difficulty, which is awesome. I must give my gratitude to the mod maker for this great single player experience. MAKE A LOT MORE PLEASE!!

dream431ca said:
This is a great mod. I love it. I see some people said they finished it already. I have been at it for 3 hours and not finished yet because I am on the hard difficulty, which is awesome. I must give my gratitude to the mod maker for this great single player experience. MAKE A LOT MORE PLEASE!!
lol its not that hard :LOL:

Very well put together. Level contruction, lighting, mood and 'extras' were all top notch. Combat was a little blah in areas, and I found myself finishing it more because of the art than anything else. But solid all around, and the transport room left my jaw gaping.

Easily the gold standard in SP mods out there.

I'll grab this

Ah, I must grab this mod....from the way the others said it, it seems very impressive.

Rennmniscant said:
Yep, I figured that. Now I need to figure out how to fix it.
Is there any way at all it can be fixed without running the program? a config file? a launch command? somehow reloading all that jazz?

You need to boot your computer again, repeatedly hitting F8 after the first BIOS screen. You should get a boot option screen - You need to scroll down to the VGA boot option. That will get you to the desktop again at the lowest default resolution. You can then go into your moinitor settings and try setting a nice resolution again.

Good news! It seems that MINERVA can be Mod of the Week at ... um ... a certain Half-Life 2 website - but only if it can be downloaded from ... err ... that website's parent company's subscription-funded file download service.

Corporate regulations, apparently. I've said no. Again. ;-)

Stick it to The Man!

Cargo Cult said:
Good news! It seems that MINERVA can be Mod of the Week at ... um ... a certain Half-Life 2 website - but only if it can be downloaded from ... err ... that website's parent company's subscription-funded file download service.

I don't understand, why not. I mean it's not like they are asking you to change your content, nor do they want exclusive rights for downloading your mod. The more sites that host it the better.

its the way they are offering it - "we'll say your mod is worth downloading IF you give us the sole right to host it"
scumbags - bet it was planethalflife

Cargo Cult said:

Good on ya :thumbs:

john3571000 said:
bet it was planethalflife
Well, Gamespy via Planethalflife anyway. I don't believe that PHL is very good publicity anyway. Their writing is absolutely shocking and its only kept afloat by the fact it has 'planet' in its name. I don't think anyone actually respects their opinion at all.

Edit: besides, Minerva gets plenty of decent publicity by virtue of being the only 'proper' third party HL2 single-player experience mentioned on the Steam games page and often in steam update news.

Anyone else resort to using the suit zoom for Magnum sniping? What I do when Combine are far away... I use the suit zoom to aim, and since you can't fire in this position, let go of the zoom button then fire IMMEDIATELY. Your aim position will be saved and you can nail headshots from ungodly distances.

Praetorius said:
Anyone else resort to using the suit zoom for Magnum sniping? What I do when Combine are far away... I use the suit zoom to aim, and since you can't fire in this position, let go of the zoom button then fire IMMEDIATELY. Your aim position will be saved and you can nail headshots from ungodly distances.
That's DARK-SIDED!!!

Praetorius said:

Heeehee....sure have - been doing that for a while - seems to work rather well to. Wonder if we'll get more sniping weapons (other than the crossbow) in future releases...

So:

Who are you?
Who is Minerva?
Why are you on the island?
What is beneath the island?

Question one appears to be 'a Combine soldier of some description'.

why is plasma being channelled into/out of the island?
What is the purpose of the headcrab experimentation factory so far from the mainland?
Why are there no synths in the base?
What is the base? Is it a subterrean - citadel?

What is the significance of Minerva saying something to the effect of 'I am trapped in this ancient machine'? Does that mean she really is an AI or is it just the most bastard red herring in herring history?

Kinda odd that this Minerva has been in the citadel. I mean, it's odd because it's a she. Maybe it's Mossman! :)

You've been given all the necessary information in all three released maps, so it's hardly that much of a mystery. The stuff on the website just makes it even more obvious!

(For the record, I have seen people guess what's going to happen in the next map. No, it wasn't this forum! ;-) )

you mean all 2 released maps ;)
or have you secretly released minerva 3 :O

No he means Someplace else, his HL1 map.
By the way, as we soon will get our hand on the upcoming EP1 there will be som (hopefully) new cool monsters. One of them being stalkers and I guess those models will be portable to hl2 so slaying headcrab stalkers in minerva 3 might be possible.

Actually, it shouldn't be so hard to do it. I was actually able to include the animations and sequences of the classic zombie for the stalker. The only problem is that the zombie model is made so that the bones of the spine are pointing to left when in the stalker model those bones are pointing forward... so, when using the zombie's animations stalker's stomach, head, etc. are pointing to left. I haven't figured out how to fix this yet myself... but I bet that there's someone who actually knows how to model/animate that can make this happen for him... including the headcrap for the stalker model shouldn't be that hard either, if you look at the .qc file of the zombie models and the Headcrap_reference.smd files in XSI you should be able to figure out how to make it.

I can't get past the part where you've just entered the second map and it says "You're gonna have to turn on the power to move on" or something like that.

I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do here...

In the large room with the three turrets and the suspended I-beams, go through the lower doorway just to the right of the turrets and there will be a switch in the room at the end of the hallway. Hit that as well as the two switches along the hallway. Then go back to the balcony where you received the message and since the power is on you can use the "intellectual" solution. ;)

(hit the button a few times)

Cargo_Cult - Did you fix the skyboxes yet?

In the large room with the three turrets and the suspended I-beams, go through the lower doorway just to the right of the turrets and there will be a switch in the room at the end of the hallway. Hit that as well as the two switches along the hallway. Then go back to the balcony where you received the message and since the power is on you can use the "intellectual" solution.

What do you mean "back to the balcony"? Is this balcony in the second map, or is it back in the first map? How do I get to it? Thanks for your help - I am stuck!

That's the one I was thinking of, as it's illuminated by a flashing light once the power is on, but I still cannot see how to get to it... I went back and forth several times, and still can't find the entrance to it.

Hi all

I'm extremely stuck after reaching the train track and killing everyone on the upper floors (including the Elite combine).

Yeah I know the message says not to fight and get to some control panel near some power conduit (downshaft??).

But where is this place?

Also, the elevator button near all the headcrabs is still stuck.

Pls help. If someone could post a complete walkthrough to Metastasis 2 it'd be great.

Thx.

Back