Minerva Mod Episode 1!

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
"Two billion people died, and I did nothing."
The first episode of long-awaited single-player HL2 mod MINERVA is here![br]Already being trumpeted by Valve themselves, this search for a mysterious secret hidden below a Combine-controlled island will be released, SiN: Episodes style, piece by piece. With particular emphasis on exploration, infiltration and its enigmatic storyline and an original music score by Joseph Toscano, MINERVA takes its cues from games like System Shock 2 and the ancient Marathon series. Valve say: "fantastic".[br]

[br]Download Episode 1, Metastasis, here.[br]Want to know more? Take a look at this website for cryptic and somewhat sesquipedalian plot hints. If you're still confused over the word 'sesquipedalian', maybe you shouldn't bother. :p

Whoever was sending those messages was a real biznatch.

What messages?

Downloading this now... Looks good from description and screenshot.

No, seriously, what the hell does "sesquipedalian" mean o_O

Long awaited MINERVA? First time I hear about it...

"Fantastic" says it all, I must agree, and the polish and balancing is supurb.
BTW:
I LOVE playing without the gravity gun, it is so much more chalenging and fun in general.

That was.... ****ing amazing. Christ. Wow.

Wow. Very nice mod (or more like a map?) Very professionaly detailed plus it's just the right length to play in one sitting without a break (when HL2 came out, I played for about 7 hours strait without so much as going to the fridge to get a drink)

Just Great

That was AMAZING!!!!.
I have just finished it and i can say I love it, it is the best SP Mod ATM even its short lenght.
Well,... waiting for the next episode

Just finished it. Very good stuff.
Cant wait for the next episode.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

The story seems to be very intriguing and the level design was amazing, the dark lower parts really demonstrated the capabilities for realism in Source.

I extracted it to C:/Steam/SteamApps/SourceMods/ and its not showing up in my play games list.

FANTASTIC!! This is what I've been waiting for! some SP content! Cool. I'm going to DL this right now :E

Excellent maps and the music was badass. I can't wait for the next one.

Also, props on not including the gravity gun.

That was on a par with some areas of the main game. I don't think I was ever quite as scared as some parts either. My one nag is the lack of new weapons... which is a silly thing to say because making new weapons is hard. I don't know why I am complaining, that was amazing.

Reginald said:
I don't think I was ever quite as scared as some parts either.

Yeah, I know what you mean :p
In the underground bits, when you're in the elevator and the message notes the headcrab, I was totally expecting to be run at by a whole bunch of fast zombies at any moment, but they never came. Just the expectance of a screech that could come at any corner kept me on my toes!

That mod was really neat.
I liked their additional music too. :)

I've only played the first five minutes, but I can't wait to finish it! No Spoilers in this thread, I shouldn't have to say that, but just saying.

That was awesome. The level design rivals that of Half-Life 2. When is the next episode out?

That was really good, but too short. My only complaint is that the messages were displayed at pretty inconvienent times and therefore were sort of hard to read. Otherwise, good mapping, good music. I can't wait to see more.

Downloading now. Oh and to the news poster, there is a new Steam Update. Day of defeat is coming this month!

Excellent level design, even valve couldn't seem to figure out the waves on shortline detail. I really didn't understand what was going on other than the chic in the messages has a fetish for you. Also the text that scrolled up there was kind of hard to read... its just hard to have to read the story when your use to hearing it from another npc :D.

aeroripper said:
Excellent level design, even valve couldn't seem to figure out the waves on shortline detail. I really didn't understand what was going on other than the chic in the messages has a fetish for you. Also the text that scrolled up there was kind of hard to read... its just hard to have to read the story when your use to hearing it from another npc :D.
Heh I noticed that too about the waves, none of the water in HL2 had the waves, did it? IMO it makes the ocean look "alive", whereas the ocean parts in HL2 just looked like a static object.

HOLY F#%K S#!+ B!+$#!!! That was intense, took me a while but I finally got through it.

Did they just turn up the HP or was the AI improved? (I notice it takes two magnum rounds to down one hitting center mass instead of just one.) Was this due to Source's last update? They just kept throwing the damn grenades and creating diversions so others could go behind me! This was what I remembered from HL1 grunts and Farcry, thinking about it the plot reminded me of Farcry as well.

DoctorWeeTodd said:
They just kept throwing the damn grenades and creating diversions so others could go behind me!

One word to describe it: Awesome! I agree the AI was pretty smart.

DragonKnight2125 said:
One word to describe it: Awesome! I agree the AI was pretty smart.

Yeah scared the hell outta me, were even more accurate than me with the grenades. I never thought they could get the AI to throw them right with the bounciness. Got me flushed out everytime!

EDIT: It's impressive that there was not a single load point for this map. One is more than enough for this biggie.

Let the Episodic Gaming beginn.

Nice Map (MOD), i love the message system.

Hope to see the next episode soon!!

Agreed with everyone else, awesome and enticing first episode.

Nice although IMO it may of made more sense if the main character had the combines stun stick instead of a crowbar from what I can understand.

Oh..oh oh oh...they turned Marathon into HL2...I love them. The pestering little "voice in your head" always putting you in harms way, that whole "mysterious" feel with an almost poetic backstory, I love it.

Oh man, I just finished it. I'm seriously in love with this mod. The atmosphere is perfect, the gameplay is spot-on (and much harder than I expected) and the plot is really cool. I'm fascinated with the person leaving you messages (you don't actually know it's a woman: the whole Athena thing is just a reference to greek mythology. However, I did notice something strange...
when you see the bodies in the interrogation room, and "Athena" talks about how all the dulce et decorum est pro patria mori spiel is bullshit, she refers to the rebels as "your human rebel friends". Whether this is a tip off that she isn't human, or it shows that not everything is human, or it means absolutely nothing... I have no idea.

Back