MMORPG's (was: if valve liked us)

CreedoG

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be awesome if Valve actually liked us, and released a 2 map multiplayer demo to tide us over until April? It wouldn't take that much effort on their side. And it would so awesome to get to play it. The quake and unreal series games always release demos before release to test out the game. Why not valve? Some people will say "Don't take away time from letting them actually finish the game". Well, I think I'd rather have the game come out April 23rd, instead of April 11th (arbitrary dates), and be able to play the demo while I'm waiting.

Oh well, just a thought. No possible way it'll happen. But wouldn't it be nice?

Well, it's easy to critisise... Seriously, i'd like a demo too, but there could be a hundred and one good reasons why valve hasn't released one. Maybe the plot of the game is so intense there are no levels they could release without giving something away. Plus, if they are still bug-hunting we could end up with a buggy demo, then we'd have a million people yelling: 'Valve ripped us off! They suck! I found a tiny bug in the demo!'. And nobody wants that.

*Ceases being holier-than-thou*

What if they did something like Uplink, wasn't part of the actual game, was basically a game in itself, if a little short it was great fun to play, still is sometimes. Course they could always release a demo with the tech stuff in, even that on its own would be really cool to play around with and serve as a good benchmark that many want.

Edit: Infact wouldn't it be great if they actually did uplink, but all updated in the source engine with all the new models and improvements, I don't think it would matter in the slightest that we'd all played it before, cause it would be so different updated. And didn't Valve once say you could fit the whole HL1 game into one single HL2 map now. Uplink with no loading points, just seamless from start to finish, now that I would really like to see.

Yeah.......

HL2 Demo....

droolz!!!!!

I wish they would.

I had forgotten about the demo concept.

If your reading this anyone at valve. I really think its a nice idea! :)

pfft, demo? Im still waiting for the rest of the blink videos, then I will be happy

so true.....................

My god, first Deus Ex 2 being ripped then remembering HL2!!!

My god what a crapy start to the weekend!

Wow. Uplink upgraded. That would be cool. I guess the only question is how long would it take valve to do? I doubt it would take long, but it depends what stage they are at with HL2. What I would really like is a demo of the first couple of chapters of HL1. The accident in the test chamber in all it's high-res glory! Not much chance of it happening though ;(

They like us.

Wait, if you mean us by our money in our pockets...then yes...

Originally posted by Baal
They like us.

Wait, if you mean us by our money in our pockets...then yes...

Baal's trolling count for the day: 2! keep it up :)

Originally posted by jabberwock95
I doubt it would take long, but it depends what stage they are at with HL2.

What stage they are at?

/me points towards IRC beta downloads

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
What stage they are at?

Please. That's not beta, or even alpha. It's some old crappy build. Stop calling it a beta :)

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
What stage they are at?

I meant that if they are still altering HL2 then they will have less programmers free than if they are in playtesting. Thus it would take them longer to allocate time for a demo.

Originally posted by Shuzer
Please. That's not beta, or even alpha. It's some old crappy build. Stop calling it a beta :)

B-b-b-baaaaaytaaa!!!

if the game is done at this stage there is no way they will release a demo, if they do then people will be pissed because they aren't releasing the actual game until April even though it's already done. they could finish a few levels and release it, but it would be bug-ridden if they aren't done the rest and that would hurt more than no demo at all.

You people should stop giving yourself false hopes and dreams - you can only blame yourselves when you're dissapointed. ;P

someone deleted my post....weird.

anyways...April 2004..don't bother thinking otherwise.

Originally posted by rec
You people should stop giving yourself false hopes and dreams - you can only blame yourselves when you're dissapointed. ;P
Ever the optimist... :)

You're right, though... Shame, such a shame.

"If you love me you'll......"
-sound familiar?

Basically, cut the valve hates us nonsense.

yeah would be nice, but it would only add to developement time
and I would rather have the full game, then a demo.

and who else do you know that spent 5 years working on something for you?

cut the crap

the mods probaly deleted your post......but anyways...

that would be awesome.....even 1 map demo would be awesome...with the buggies in it....hehe...that would be cool...everyone driving around...they could release the buggy E3 map(when he drives by the big aircraft thing in the air...and finally shoots it with the missle launcher) in a multiplayer demo...that would be cool mutliplayer map

Yes, it'd be nice. But no matter what someone does, there will always be someone that disagrees...

It's just the way life goes, sometimes.

A demo would be really nice. I was thinking about running a poll on that but I decided it would be pointless. Trouble is, nobody can say totally whether a demo would be a good diversion or a waste of development time, mainly because we have so little info about what stage valve is at with HL2.

*Sigh*

Never mind though. HL2 will come out sooner or later. I seem to remember a poll saying that people would rather have an unconfirmed release date than a release date and then a delay. Nevertheless, it's a really good test of patience.

Maybe I should try scream thearapy...

maybe we can make a HUGE petition...on the interent....and everyone could sign it!!...hehe

Originally posted by Darg
:eek:

holy crap

yep. I swear I heard them say that. I imagine it would be a squeeze and of course I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope its true, cause that would be brilliant.

Originally posted by Fenric1138
yep. I swear I heard them say that. I imagine it would be a squeeze and of course I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope its true, cause that would be brilliant.

That'd be pretty spiffy. I think one of the best things HL2 will offer is that server linking thing.. although, I can't imagine anyone would get good framerates with 256+ players on the screen.. but hey :)

Originally posted by Fenric1138
I thought they meant 'our map co-ordinates are so big that you could, in theory, fit HL1 inside one area', rather than 'it would be playable'. Would be cool though.

Originally posted by koopa
I thought they meant 'our map co-ordinates are so big that you could, in theory, fit HL1 inside one area', rather than 'it would be playable'. Would be cool though.

yeah that was probably it..

Man when the time comes that home computers can handle hundreds, if not thousands of players or NPC's in a game the wide range of game options will open greatly. Think of how cool it would be to have a LOTR game or a Star Wars game and really have the people on that kind of scale.

Its decades off but odds are some of us will see this, and then they will die happy.

Originally posted by Insid
Man when the time comes that home computers can handle hundreds, if not thousands of players or NPC's in a game the wide range of game options will open greatly. Think of how cool it would be to have a LOTR game or a Star Wars game and really have the people on that kind of scale.

Its decades off but odds are some of us will see this, and then they will die happy.

That's not decades off, it's just a matter of years

Originally posted by Mr. Redundant
isnt that the definition of an MMORPG?

MMORPGs aren't large scale battle oriented, it's small groups fighting small groups of monsters..

I think he's more looking for a medieval type of online game ala LotR where every person is a soldier..

Originally posted by Shuzer
MMORPGs aren't large scale battle oriented, it's small groups fighting small groups of monsters..

thats dependant on what kinda player you are, also what kinda rig you running, and also what kinda game your playing.

Ultima online's servers held player numbers in the high thousands last time I checked.
then again... who wants to play UO :p
and there is Star Wars Galaxies already.. a SW MMORPG... however I hear its shite.

Supposedly Lineage2 (MMORPG coming out 2004) is supposed to be built with siege gaming in mind.. battle orientated, with hundreds of people on screen fighting blah blah.

but it becomes impersonal... which is self defeating for an individualized experience.

who knows though, its amazing how we have all become desensitized to technology we dont even have yet.
I mean look at the games that are coming out with all these cool features we were all hyped about. (they now seem commonplace, and standard in next gen games) we have been following them and looking at videos etc, to the extent that its not impressive... at least not for me.

when I first saw shadow and lighting/'bumpmapping/specular/normal/large environments etc I was blown away, now its kinda expected.

look at Deus Ex2, it may suck, but graphically (although its the weakest next gen game) its still better than engines we currently have, what with realistic shadows and lighting, shaders, bumpmapping etc etc.
its still dissapointing...

and Im rattling on

Well, yes, MMORPGs do have tens of thousands of people playing on a single server at any time.. but, chances are you're never really going to have over 50 players on a screen at a time.. atleast, not in my experience with MMORPGs (EQ and FFXI)

I rarely download demos so it wouldnt phase me either way, but it would be interesting to read public feedback on the demo...

Can someone tell me what the hell MMORPG stands for and what it means?

MMORPG = massive multiplayer online role-playing games?

hmm I guess so.

finally i know what that means...sounds like its kenny from soutpark...MMMORMMMG

After what has happened with the Deus Ex 2 demo, somehow I don't think there will be a HL2 demo. As I said err..somewhere else, futuremark I think, game demos are rarely released before the game these days.

As for the "beta" I hate people calling it that too, it is a leaked BUILD. A program is in beta when it is in its final stages of testing. Betas are usually 98 - 100% functional.

MMORPG doesn't stand for massive multiplayer online role-playing game, it stands for massively multiplayer online role-playing games. There is a subtle difference.

It means a game played online only, with large amounts of players in the same world. However large LotR type battles never happen, usually people stick in groups of around 5-6 people max. With things like guild hunts being an exception.

Man when the time comes that home computers can handle hundreds, if
not thousands of players or NPC's in a game the wide range of game options will open greatly. Think of how cool it would be to have a LOTR game or a Star Wars game and really have the people on that kind of scale.

give it 5-10 years and thats enitirly possible.....well really its possible now.....but each player model would have to be like 40 polys :p

technology is moving along at an incredible pace....dont underestimate it.

Back