mobo bios proc/diskdrive query

Xelnein

Reaction score
this is a copy of an email i recently sent to the MSI Tech support.
i haven't gotten a response yet; so maybe you can help me here, any help is much appreciated.

---------------------------------------
The MSI product i own is the MSI KT400 Ultra FISR Motherboard.
i recently ran dxdiag just to check my newly upgraded video card, radeon 9800. while reading over the other specifications of my computer i come across a disappointing number... it tells me that my processor is an AMD XP 1.3Ghz~; when infact i have installed an XP 2000( 1.67Ghz );
so, of course, i go to my msi live update cd and update the bios. This particular version, 1.40, for the KT400 ultra, says it goes all the way up to the barton 2500; i'm well under that and would expect it to register.
so yes, the bios are updated to the latest version that live update will allow me to download.
i flashed them w/ the disk it gives me; only dos mode is available if the windows mode is a blanked out option- no errors anyway- reboot- and then i don't have a disk drive, even though windows 2000 says it has found new hardware and i, having done this twice now, say yes to the install - yet it still does not appear. and yes, it is enabled in device manager...and still continues to work during bios installations...
As you can see from this link: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1231&page=5
the KT400 Ultra Fisr is capable of running the Xp 2000+ 1.67ghz processor, so why won't it on mine.

i think you owe me 440 mghz and a disk drive.
Thanks for any help,
Zach
--------------------------------------

Are your processor clock/multiplier settings properly set in the BIOS?

fixed the floppy drive.. enabled it in bios and updated drivers from regular win2k.. you'd think it would just do that upon installation but.... swell.
still says 1.3~ghz - any help is very much appreciated..still 8)
-zach

i have no idea, how do i check that/ how safe is it to change?

Well, your FSB times your multiplier = CPU speed, it should be in advanced settings in your bios

Chances are it has preconfigured options for setting it..

For example, 12x133 = 1596MHz

Mine is set at 12.5x166 (2075MHz)

I'm not sure what it should be set at exactly for your processor though, but something along the lines of 11x155, might want to ask someone else for the specifics

from the link i posted earlyer, http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1231&page=5 , i am running nearly an identicle system to the one shown there.
i believe they offer two clock speed settings of the 2000xp, 12.5x133MHz=1.67GHz and 9x185MHz=1.67GHz . . . which would be safer to run... or are they just the same thing w/ no difference in strain on the chip?
still no response frorm msi, i guess this will take awhile.
going to check what its set on in the bios now-

also, the cpu temp was: 47c/116f
and system temp of 41c.

i just went in bios and checked out the rest and here it is:
Frequeency/voltage control-
Spread Spectrum: +- 0.25%
CPU FSB CLOCK : 100MHz
CPU Ratio : Auto
then the cpu vcore, ddr voltage, terminator voltage, and agp voltage are all on auto.

is that the right thing to be looking at/changing..

Do 12.5x133 and you should be fine :)

9x185 would be upping your FSB, raising temperatures, and could cause instability

If you can change the CPU FSB CLOCK from 100MHz to 133MHz, it should fix your problem

alright, thanks - i'll try it when i get home.

but one more thing.. heh, sorry -
it says on the msi site, while checking under compatibility of processors w/ this motherboard ( of course it is. ), that the FSB and ratio are: 133 // Auto - should i just try it first on 133 and auto, and then if it still doesn't read right add in the 133x12.5, or go right to 12.5?

(it also says that this mobo supports up to the 3000+, gives me quite a bit of upgradeability, for now, and if they come down to around 90 in the next few months i'll probably go through all of this again.heh)
thanks again,
zach

If you have a non-stock cooler you can try and lower the multi and up the fsb to 166 (333fsb). I think you can do it on stock cooling but ew thermal pads/phase change stuff adm uses sucks.

I'd suggest trying 133 auto first, then if that doesn't work, go to 12.5x133

If you're thinking about upping the FSB like TrueWeltall said, first run your CPU at 12.5x133 and see how hot it gets, if it stays below 50º, you might be okay to overclock a bit (my stock cooler sucks, I have to have a fan blowing into my case to keep everything cool since I'm OCed)

alright, just did it_ raised the fsb to 133 and let it go ahead and auto the rest. now reads it as an Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.67ghz, which it is 8)
raised the temp of the cpu up 3 to 4 degrees, but nothing too harsh.
thanks for your help,
zach

actually... one more quick one.. trying to get all set up for half-life 2.. and this one might be a little more entry level then the last... heh
can i download the ati radeon 9800 drivers from the ati website and have them work w/ my sapphire version of the card, or do i have to use the drivers from the sapphire site(cat 3.6 while the new ones, on the ati site are 3.7). and if i download the ultilities from the sapphire site will still function properly?
too much money in it to do something dumb...
thanks .. hopefully.. for one final time,
zach

I assume you're asking if you can DL the Catalyst drivers off the ATI site instead of saphire's site? In which case, yes you can. I don't suggest using the third party enfused drivers for cards, they always seem weird to me.

And yes, the utilities for your card should still work with the official ATI Catalyst 3.7 drivers

Back