Modern Warfare Real-Time Strategy Modification

A

AJL

Modern Warfare Real-Time Strategy Modification - looking for coder

Hello,

I'm looking to start up a real time strategy modern warfare mod. For those who don't know, real time strategy, or RTS, is a "commander" type genre, where you control armies from a top-down view. Think Command and Conquer or Warcraft/Starcraft.

So far we have the artwork staff taken care of. I can model and do some light skinning, and I can easily get a texture artist, I've already got someone who has agreed to do it.

However, the one rather large void in our team is a coder. Beyond basic INI editing for C&C games (which really doesn't count), I have no coding knowledge at all.

Here are some examples of my work, just so you can see there will be some level of proffesionalism we're aiming for.

M1A2 Abrams tank, modelled and textured by myself. Originally planned for a mod team I was on which never left the ground due to other commitments of the team.
M1A2c.jpg

M4A1, don't mind the model, it's not even 800 triangles, I was trying to get some skinning practice out of it. Nothing that will blow your mind though...
M4A1 Carbine

Why would you want to help out?

- Unique mod type. I know there a few others, but the RTS genre is mostly untapped. Hopefully, this will result in the mod standing out from the crowd.

- No real story or unit design set yet. This could be considered a bad thing to some people, but I know I would want to have some creative input. The only guideline I have set is modern warfare. Although, near future (like 10-20 years) is really fine too. Basically, the point is everyone gets a say in game design.

- Experience with RTSs on the team. Myself and skinners I round up will be from the C&C Generals community. We've all worked on RTS's since the days of Red Alert 1 and know a thing or two about them. One of the primary reasons I've decided to work on HL2 is the flexibility of the engine. You just can't do some things with Generals, and the possibilities with HL2 are endless.

- RTS's really don't require as much work to complete as FPS mods (graphically at least). It might sound lazy, but it's true. Due to the pulled back camera view details just aren't as easy to see, therefore modelling and skinning is done faster. It's actually a waste of effort to spend a ton of time on small details when they're impossible to see ingame. Where am I going with this? An RTS mod would not be a massive undertaking, it would be faster to complete than most FPS mods out there, and a faster release is good.

- Personally, I think a group of dedicated people could make a better RTS mod off HL2 then most proffesional companies do. Source is a great engine, we could probably blow a lot of retail games away over time (I'm probably being too optimistic and looking too far into the future, but hey, it's fun to dream right?)
In all seriousness though, Atari's Act Of War, EA's C&C Generals, Blizzard's Warcraft III are all beatable with enough time.

If you think you'd like to help out, just post here or drop me a PM. Or if you'd like to see more examples of my work let me know and I'll see what I can dig up off my HD.

Thanks for your time.

How about maybe a RED ALERT 3. Now that would be cool,better than Generals

Red Alert 3 is already in production. It hasn't been publically announced, but the producer gave the C&C Community a heads-up on it a few months ago.

I don't know how this forum feels about double posting or bumping, so I'll just do it once and forget it beyond that.

Anybody?

Back