Mods based on a license

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
We're seeing more and more mods based on movie/comic book licenses,,

what do you think is going to happen to mods based on high profile franchises like jurrasic park and star wars,,,, star wars constantly has a steady stream of games,, it's kind of like competition..

thoughts?

They'll either be kept quiet until the moment of release, or shut down the moment the copyright owners spot them.

I really dont like mods that take someones idea and make it their own. They have to make it reeeeaaaal good and add some new things if you want me to be interested :)

Some mods get foxed, and i think its a waste really. You dont need to do exactly the same thing, you can make your own version of the movie/book universe but still have the same things basically.

Majestic XII said:
I really dont like mods that take someones idea and make it their own. They have to make it reeeeaaaal good and add some new things if you want me to be interested :)

Some mods get foxed, and i think its a waste really. You dont need to do exactly the same thing, you can make your own version of the movie/book universe but still have the same things basically.
Or, don't be lazy and think up your own concept. Although you may think Star Wars is cool, but.. they have lawyers, and you don't.

Although, I'd love to see some games/mods based around 'lesser-known/lesser-liked' movies like..

ANKLE BITERS

well those actually have a chance too

if you emailed the creator of some b movie or somethign who might have rights, you might get their blessing on it

I was considering doing a mini mod for my buddy's comic book, but my current modelling skills can't do his characters justice yet :D and I don't want to make a mod out of that project (just me working on it,, and maybe a sound guy)

Shinobi said:
Do I see a Weekend at Bernies mod in the works? :D

no way, its all about Jack Burton!!! :LOL:
and chinese girls with green eyes :O

ComradeBadger said:
Or, don't be lazy and think up your own concept. Although you may think Star Wars is cool, but.. they have lawyers, and you don't.

Ironically, Star Wars is one of the few license allowing game modding provided close scrutiny and some rules (keeping narrative continuum).
Some examples include BF1942's "Conquest" and HL2's "Jedi:Timeline"

ComradeBadger said:
Although, I'd love to see some games/mods based around 'lesser-known/lesser-liked' movies like..

ANKLE BITERS

Or Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town

I'm in the middle of a mod based off of the original Mobile Suit Gundam universe, but we're including completely original character designs, new mech designs, new storyline that follows the operations that happened during the One Year War and such. Hope we don't get shut down. :D

Back