Monarchy?

Keep it?

• Total voters
i was gonna say, scrap them.

but the only thing keeping the monarchs alive is the tourism money..lol.

people abroad think we all worship the queen..very wrong.

I have to say they sound like unnecessary government-funded celebrities.

thats exactley what they are,, and people say the british monarchy are a link to the past and good for britain's tourisim..? bollocks do people come to England just to see the queen and friends, maybe as an added attraction, but its more to do with what they 'own' rather than what they are.

but if you look at their brutal past that got them where they are today then it strikes moral understands left right and centre. Its money ,power and complete ignorance from the public that keep them where they are. They are born out of nothing more than ruthless pilgrims, no amount of money or crimes against sometimes innocent people should gather the praise and stance they get today, I suppose you could say they are very much a reminder of the past , the less evolved human sensibilities of the past.

clarky003 said:
thats exactley what they are,, and people say the british monarchy are a link to the past and good for britain's tourisim..? bollocks do people come to England just to see the queen and friends, maybe as an added attraction, but its more to do with what they 'own' rather than what they are.

but if you look at their brutal past that got them where they are today then it strikes moral understands left right and centre. Its money ,power and complete ignorance from the public that keep them where they are. They are born out of nothing more than ruthless pilgrims, no amount of money or crimes against sometimes innocent people should gather the praise and stance they get today, I suppose you could say they are very much a reminder of the past , the less evolved human sensibilities of the past.

Erm, Pilgrim? Are you sure you've written the right word there?

Anyway, when was the last time a monarch came to power through bloody fighting? The War of The Roses? And even if there was a more recent one, it's wouldn't be fair to dislike the Monarchy on that basis. How many democracies were formed as a result of war? Would you say that the American Government shouldn't exist because of the War of Independence; or the French Government because of the French evolution?

As for money, how much money do the Monarchy actually recieve? I think if it was a sicificant amount there would be debates about it in the House of Commons, and it would be mentioned as a big thing in the budget.

im just not one for people worship, your obviously convinced that they have a completely justified position in modern society. All im saying is that alot of people are evolving to see that they are really not nessersary anymore.. if you think they are then go and join the club if your not a royal follower already, i dont disrespect the people who belong to the family, but I think how they got to where they are today is very valid.

When it comes to public support it's more of a patriotic idlisation , something to be proud of being british malarky, something to define us as part of a group, like a subculture, something that creates purpose and significance, i say think outside of it.. , on the majority spectrum their prescence also creates alot of wealth related resentment. I feel they will go away in time anyway, when perhaps peoples lives become more personally forfilling and self dependant, and dont require looking to a family/ celebrity of aspiring wealth to give themself a purposeful meaning or targets in life, its a false and saddening reality created by often materialistic people who think wealth = happiness.

clarky003 said:
im just not one for people worship, your obviously convinced that they have a completely justified position in modern society. All im saying is that alot of people are evolving to see that they are really not nessersary anymore.. if you think they are then go and join the club if your not a royal follower already,

I wouldn't say it was that obvious. I'm more of the opinion that I don't really care about the Royal Family, but I'd prefer them to stay.

clarky003 said:
i dont disrespect the people who belong to the family, but I think how they got to where they are today is very valid.

Like I said, is it valid when you refer to Governments of other countries? There are countless countries that achieved their current system of Government in a bloody way. Why is this any different? Also, when was the last time a Monarch came to the Throne as a result of a war?

clarky003 said:
When it comes to public support it's more of a patriotic idlisation , something to be proud of being british malarky, something to define us as part of a group, like a subculture, something that creates purpose and significance, i say think outside of it.. , on the majority spectrum their prescence also creates alot of wealth related resentment. I feel they will go away in time anyway, when perhaps peoples lives become more personally forfilling and self dependant, and dont require looking to a family/ celebrity of aspiring wealth to give themself a purposeful meaning or targets in life, its a false and saddening reality created by often materialistic people who think wealth = happiness.

You seem to have a problem with celebrities in general; not just the Monarchy.

i dont have a problem with 'them'... however maybe I have a higher brain function telling me that what its all about is not quite right, and perhaps humans, as we are supposed to be progressing, should have more personally evolved sensibilities in order to see through the false beautified and glorified images that are beamed into our brains at almost every waking moment of our relatively short period of time spent on earth, It just boggles my mind sometimes, that we are so entrapped in society, we almost forget what we could aspire to, surely there is something better to accomplish, to further our development, to progress, I just see us as all having far more potential.

clarky003 said:
i dont have a problem with 'them'... however maybe I have a higher brain function telling me that what its all about is not quite right, and perhaps humans, as we are supposed to be progressing, should have more personally evolved sensibilities in order to see through the false beautified and glorified images that are beamed into our brains at almost every waking moment of our relatively short period of time spent on earth, It just boggles my mind sometimes, that we are so entrapped in society, we almost forget what we could aspire to, surely there is something better to accomplish, to further our development, to progress, I just see us as all having far more potential.

Very interesting post, but... are you for or against the monarchy :)

The monarchy is too important for Britain's level of tourism and keeping it as the focus of attention. The amount spent on the monarchy is far outweighed by the value brought in with publicity and tourist dollars.

Calanen said:
The monarchy is too important for Britain's level of tourism and keeping it as the focus of attention. The amount spent on the monarchy is far outweighed by the value brought in with publicity and tourist dollars.

and we all know that Tourism brings the most money into a country nowadays :).

Kore - our country (well, maybe not Wales ;)) generates a lot of money from tourism in spite of the fact that the pound>everyone else (stick THAT in yer dollar pipe and smoke it - but don't inhale).
If some of that comes from the novelty of our monarchy then so be it. Christ knows why it should be so fascinating, but then I guess that's just 'cause we're used to it.

KoreBolteR said:
and we all know that Tourism brings the most money into a country nowadays :).

For a lot of places - that is right. Australia's second greatest source of income is tourism. Mining is the first.

I actually think that Australia's tourism resource is still untapped. I think plenty of mainland chinese and Europeans, and more Americans would like to come here for a holiday.

so its profit over principal, awsome

Principles or ideologies don't pay the bills - as communist regimes the world over have discovered.

clarky003 said:

Don't you think it's a bit pretensious to say that you don't support the Monarchy because you "evolved" beyond them?

clarky003 said:
so its profit over principal, awsome :D
Meh, I wouldn't put it like that.
At the end of the day, they're fairly benign and a lot of people support them, so popular opinion wins over. I don't like them, per se, but getting rid of them would be an extraordinarily bad idea.

And not just because tourists mightn't be so interested.

el Chi said:
Meh, I wouldn't put it like that.
At the end of the day, they're fairly benign and a lot of people support them, so popular opinion wins over. I don't like them, per se, but getting rid of them would be an extraordinarily bad idea.

And not just because tourists mightn't be so interested.

Have you guys ever seen King Ralph?

Orchestrate that one scene in reality. And it shall be done. And the world over shall rejoice.

Calanen said:
Principles or ideologies don't pay the bills - as communist regimes the world over have discovered.

Well, it's not just that. People argue against the Monarchy and then give reasons involving money. But the pro Monarchy people are saying that money isn't an issue, even if it was an issue then would end up being in favour of the Monarchy.

If you get me.

Calanen said:

thats only because we pay such a high price for our modern living, which is down to the general lack of abundance in everything apart from water.

but im confident that in the near future being rich wont be nessersary to live an easier resource obtainable life, behind everything we buy.. there is a budget, that budget is dictated majorly by energy consumation into machines that mould and make things, anything that isnt hand made.., with a new technology era in the making , electrical energy will be so abundant, the cost of it will be next to zero.. hence on forth everything will become much cheaper.

of course you all think im a loon, but you havnt seen what ive seen..

clarky003 said:
of course you all think im a loon, but you havnt seen what ive seen..
Starships ablaze on the shores of Orion?

more like electricity coming from that 'nowhere' place, known lovingly as the creative vacuum,, the same 'nowhere' that the physical universe was born out of.

clarky003 said:
more like electricity coming from that 'nowhere' place, known lovingly as the creative vacuum,, the same 'nowhere' that the physical universe was born out of.

Can I buy some pot from you?

I would say the Queen brings in more money then goes out.

And defines us, what do you think of when someone mentions England, it's 1) The Queen 2) Bad teeth :p:p

el Chi said:
Kore - our country (well, maybe not Wales ;)) .

ey no need for that ;( , well did you know alot of english people come here to wales for breaks. :) i dont see why you got this urge to critisize Wales every chance you get... :p

answer me honestly.. do you think wales are deprived in anyway, do you think were poor? do you think we all live in villages? then you sir, are stereotyping ;)

Calanen said:
For a lot of places - that is right. Australia's second greatest source of income is tourism. Mining is the first.

I actually think that Australia's tourism resource is still untapped. I think plenty of mainland chinese and Europeans, and more Americans would like to come here for a holiday.

Mining was South Wales' biggest source of income a couple of decades ago... brought people in from all over the world, that is why theres a lot of people living here (where i live).

come to think of it.. i could be partly american/australian or russian.. :O

^Ben said:
I would say the Queen brings in more money then goes out.

And defines us, what do you think of when someone mentions England, it's 1) The Queen 2) Bad teeth :p:p

and most foreigners dont know the difference between england and the UK. ;)

KoreBolteR said:
ey no need for that ;( , well did you know alot of english people come here to wales for breaks. :) i dont see why you got this urge to critisize Wales every chance you get... :p

answer me honestly.. do you think wales are deprived in anyway, do you think were poor? do you think we all live in villages? then you sir, are stereotyping ;)
Of course not! One of my housemates is Welsh and he knows how to use lightswitches, so it's all good ;)
I only criticise Wales because... Well, because it's funny. Just like I criticise the North and pretty much everywhere outisde the M25, and, to a lesser extent, South of the river.
But honestly, despite all the abuse, I think no worse of you. I just happen to know that Londoners are better than everyone else, that's all. ;)

Once again, to clarify: JOKING.

and most foreigners dont know the difference between england and the UK.
Yeah, that really annoys me.

el Chi said:
Of course not! One of my housemates is Welsh and he knows how to use lightswitches, so it's all good ;)
I only criticise Wales because... Well, because it's funny. Just like I criticise the North and pretty much everywhere outisde the M25, and, to a lesser extent, South of the river.
But honestly, despite all the abuse, I think no worse of you. I just happen to know that Londoners are better than everyone else, that's all. ;)

Once again, to clarify: JOKING.

LOL i didnt take offence, i was just asking :p...

i knew you wasnt the type to insult people anyway :upstare:

ive been all round england(dad lived all round), and it exactly the same as wales. minus the mountains and scenery.

and the accent :bonce:

Back