Monitors

Dr. Freeman

Reaction score
i am looking for help on monitors as i might be in the market for a new one.. so i will be looking to pple here (yes Asus, ur opinion is always welcome :) ) for suggestions and opinions on brands and specs.

what are some of the most important things to look for in a monitor?

name 3 brands u are comfortable with?

what is ur price range usually when u are shopping for a monitor (i did notice prices tend to vary right across brands and models anywhere from $150-$700 CDN dollars.

the current monitor i have is a Viewsonic E773 model.. and while mostly i have been satisfied with it.. this time i do want a monitor maybe of a higher quality.. this current monitor will be used for the second computer.

thanks for the input, really appreciated :)

Premier Computer Canada's website

above is the URL of a local store which offers a wide variety of brands and models all in Canadian dollars (perfect for me :E )

of course it would be nice to pick out one from that place.. but i am not putting any restrictions on where i might get a new monitor from.

any good brands/models listed on that site?

I perfer Samsung, Viewsonic and Sony.
I think most of Samsung and Viewsonic monitors are of similar quality.
It depends on what model you get. Most companies have different series made for value, mainstream, performance, and graphic design.

Refresh Rate may be something you wish to look into. Know what resolution you usually use and look for a refresh rate you would want it to hold at that res. Windows' default refresh rate is 60Hertz. I have my refresh rate at 85Hertz, for example. Personally, anything below 75 'hertz' my eyes. ;)
For LCDs, I would highly recommend Samsung. Sony is also very good but Samsung really has the LCD market nailed. IMO

A 19" CRT flatscreen would be recommended. Or a 17" LCD.

Optiquest is a Viewsonic brand. btw
I wouldn't recommend KDS at all unless you were looking for a value monitor.

Viewsonic/Optiquest
Samsung

Asus said:
I wouldn't recommend KDS at all unless you were looking for a value monitor.

I bought my 17" KDS a little over a year ago, served me well! Sure, half the controls are FUBAR on it (actually, pincushion is the only one that doesn't work right).. but that's okay, I didn't expect supreme quality from a $60 monitor ;)

Picture quality has been decent for such a cheap monitor. Haven't had any real problems with it.. although I agree, I wouldn't suggest KDS, unless like you said, you're looking for something cheap

NEC monitors have been good to me as well. (well, better than this dell pos)

Well the first thing to determine is whether you're after CRT or LCD. Whats your money/space/coolness requirements?

Direwolf said:
Well the first thing to determine is whether you're after CRT or LCD. Whats your money/space/coolness requirements?

doH! :rolling:

thats what i forgot to mention! :eek:

i am shopping for a CRT monitor... haven't heard nice things about LCD's as far as gaming goes.. so i think i'll stay away from those.

did any of u check the link i provided in my second post?
i was wondering which (if any) of those listed models are good..

i usually use the 1280x960 res.. and right now its at 75 hertz.
i'd like to get 85 hertz at that res.. hmm.. im demanding huh? :eek:

hmm.. just went to that URL u provided Pressure and that is one impressive monitor and its for $280 Canadian dollars :cheese:

NEC monitors look nice.. but the ones i seen the spec of aren't anything impressive so far... might go for Viewsonic again.

one other thing.

what about picture quality?
what do u look for in terms of that?

The link I gave you is basically one of the best CRT monitors you can buy, if not the best :).

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/proseries/p95fplus/
P95f+
pro series
2048x1536 @ 68Hz
1920x1440 @ 73Hz
1856x1392 @ 75Hz
1600x1200 @ 87Hz
2048x1536 maximum resolution

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/graphicseries/g90f/
G90f
graphics series
1920x1440 @ 64Hz
1856x1392 @ 66Hz
1792x1344 @ 69Hz
1600x1200 @ 77Hz
1920x1440 maximum resolution

1 more thing, i see the P90 has 24dp, is this any better?

g90f
P90f
P95f+ take these 3 into thought.

which do u guys is the better? buy, there more more specs for example the pro is a perfect flat screen with glace protection and shit, the g90f dosent have some of hte stuff,

1 more thing, whats the best way to set up the vga and the monitor? vsync on? max refresh? or vsync? i dont understnad this part.

i plan on playing games at full settings af and aa, preforably at 16x12. what do u guys recommend? there are hte links if u guys want to further investigate? which is the better for gaming? hl2, ect.

p4 3.0
x800xt

There are two basic types of monitors.
Apeture Grill
Shadow Mask

Shadow Mask is the more common among CRT monitors.
The different Viewsonic series use different types. The Pro series I believe uses a Apeture Grill (Mine does anyway). Shadow Mask allows for a lower DOT pitch though.
Link

.24 is great for diagonal dot pitch. .25 is common among good CRT monitors.
.21 is usually advertised but it is most likely only refering to horizontal dot pitch.

I would recommend a CRT that uses a Apeture Grill if you would like to enhance color (E.G. images or video).
I would recommend a CRT that uses Shadow mask if you would like to have sharper text or slightly sharper images.

Refresh Rate is up to the user. Some people are fine with 75Hertz while others want 85Hertz or higher at their desktop resolution.
Vsync is something you would have to decide to enable. It can help get rid of graphic tears in quick action games and there is no harm in limiting your FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor since the refresh rate is the limiting factor in how many images your monitor will display per second.

The only down side to Vsync would be if your graphics card cannot hold the required FPS which matches your refresh rate. If you dip below 60FPS, for example, and your refresh rate is set to 60Hertz then your FPS will actually drop to 30FPS to maintain sync with the refresh rate.
Or you can disable Vsync and your FPS will not be limited or sync'ed by your Refresh Rate. At the same time, your eyes won't see any more FPS above your monitor's refresh rate.

I have my Vsync set to application preference so I enable it in the games that I wish.

Asus said:
.24 is great for diagonal dot pitch. .25 is common among good CRT monitors.
.21 is usually advertised but it is most likely only refering to horizontal dot pitch.

so lower the number, the better?
also.. how does dpi affect Apeture Grill vs Shadow Mask technologies?

im most likely getting the monitor Pressure gave the link to which btw uses Apeture Grill :)

hey Asus.. the one thing i notice with monitors generally is they don't really offer higher than the normal 68-85HZ rating..

i'd like one with a higher rating.. but can't seem to find very many monitors that offer it.
any ideas?

Usually a really good 17" monitor can do 85Hz @ 1280x1024 and 100Hz at 1024x768.

You would have to jump up to a 19" monitor to have 85Hz @ 1600x1200 and a higher refresh rate (maybe 100Hz) at 1280x1024.

Back