More FPS issues

Slik

Reaction score
I am having problems with Halflife 2, everywhere on each level I go I get very low FPS, even at the lowest setting with DX level of 7. I tried everything to fix this but everything failed.

heres some pics,
http://img205.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img205&image=badfps4pv.jpg

heres a pic of my settings,
http://img205.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img205&image=lowdetail0qg.jpg
I have 2.8Ghz, 1GB Ram, and a 6800nu@stock right now.

this is really getting me mad.... I also had a thread of a similar problem in CS:Source,
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74923

I cant believe this is happening to me :(
valve you better see this..

Well you are using substance there, which is really demanding compared to normal HL2, however i get better fps on it with higher settings and a worse system. Have you tried "fps_max 150"?

I tried playing regular Halflife2 and I did get about a 8 FPS boost in the same area. But I think it is still a bit low for my setup.

I just installed the newest drivers from Nvidia the 71.84. And I used driver cleaner to remove the old ones.

edit: tried fps_max 150 but no go, it was set at 300 before

I have a stupid old GeForce 440MX (yeah, I know, don't laugh), and a 2.6 Ghz P4, and 512 megs of ram. I get around 50 FPS at 800*600*32 bit on very graphically intensive scenes (Strider battle, for example) and around 120-160 FPS in closed buildings. Minus reflections, of course (which are not supported by my graphics card, I think). Everything else is set to high. So I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem seeing how everything else about your system is more advanced than mine.

Do all the usual maintenance...
-scan for viruses
-scan for spyware
-clear up some space on your hd
-defragment the hard drive

but you probably done those anyway.

^ What he said, tried reinstalling HL2? *I know I know..time consuming, but it might work! :p*

Hmm wierd, ive got a XFX 6800nu and I think i've got the same problem. It SHOULD run like in the 00's of fps in most places, but it really struggles on CS:S and on HL2, i get like 20fps normally, an like 5 when i see a player model :/

Ive tried all combinations of drivers, but the strange thing is, it worked perfectly when i first got it? Maybe a steam update broke it.

it works fine with 16 pipes normally, but i tried putting it back to 12 to see if it fixed HL2, but no luck.. it works fine in other games.

EDIT: and yes, i've tried re-installing EVERYTHING, Windows, HL2, CS :<

isis said:
Hmm wierd, ive got a XFX 6800nu and I think i've got the same problem. It SHOULD run like in the 00's of fps in most places, but it really struggles on CS:S and on HL2, i get like 20fps normally, an like 5 when i see a player model :/

Ive tried all combinations of drivers, but the strange thing is, it worked perfectly when i first got it? Maybe a steam update broke it.

it works fine with 16 pipes normally, but i tried putting it back to 12 to see if it fixed HL2, but no luck.. it works fine in other games.

EDIT: and yes, i've tried re-installing EVERYTHING, Windows, HL2, CS :<

Hmm, I have a similar problem with an ATI Radeon 9800 SE and a pretty decent rig, makes me wonder if it's even a non-card specific issue....

Back