More gamespot stupidity...

manny_c44

Reaction score
Listen to this, it doesn't even make sense.

"Valve remained tight lipped about Half-Life 2's release date at this week's press event. However, Gabe Newell, Valve's founder and managing director, did note that the Half-Life 2 benchmark program will be included in the box when the software does ship and that it will be distributed to the press on September 30. Taken in combination, these two bits of information make it doubtful that the game will ship on September 30, Valve's announced release date."

Wha?

It's been mentioned.

"Tight lipped about Half-Life 2's release date" probably means "They didn't mention it".

Now releasing the benchmark WITH the game doesn't really make any sense ...

Actually, it does make sense.
First, what Feath said.
Second, by saying that the press will get it on the 30th means the public will get it later. The press is normally given copies before the public release. Which is why they say it probably won't ship on the 30th.
But regardless, it's a 3rd party saying this. Only thing we can do is wait and find out for ourselves.
[edit] What Komb.at says is true. Why release the benchmark with the game? But the rest of it makes sense to a point.

Originally posted by Komb.at
Now releasing the benchmark WITH the game doesn't really make any sense ...

True that, true that /ebonics

Or maybe the press will have to buy their own.

AhhahHAhAHaHHAhHHAa!

But thats unlikely.

Basicly they're saying.. "We're gamespot, so that makes our opinion fact"

Rubbish, complete rubbish.

Actually, it does make sense.

Yeah, I really see the logic of releasing a benchmark (which is used to test your pc if it can handle the game) with a game which you already have paid 50 bucks for it, without knowing in advance if you have to upgrade.

But as usual, Gamespot is talking out of their ass.

by saying that the press will get it on the 30th means the public will get it later

i'd like you to please post a source for such a fact??

[edit] I actually emailed gamespot about his whole HL2 mess---still waiting for my reply, but since i sent it monday, i don't think i'll get one any time soon---btw i sometimes get the feeling that gamespot is generally runned by jackasses

It does make sense.

the press can check how radeons and nvidia's work out with the benchmark. simple huh :)

^
xrenity:

no it does'nt since its out on the 30th to the public (the game)...i just think gamespot got it wrong...

scribblehead
There are some UT2k3 benchmark programs, why wouldn't Valve give a HL2 one with the game?

Because benchamrks are released before games come out to see if your computer can ahdnle it. Like a tech demo.

x_x why email gamespot... some dumbass email rep is going to check his gamespot release date database and tell you what it says :|

how many times must we post this? it will be on steam on the 30th probably and in stores a couple weeks after. DEAL WITH IT.

Firstly, the point of a benchmark isn't to see if your game will run Half-Life 2. You use your minimum specs for that. It's to compare different pieces of hardware, that's why the press uses it. So when the benchmark comes out on the 30th, the press will be able to use it to compare different pieces of hardware for reviews. It's not so Joe Bloggs can boast about how will his computer will run Half-Life 2 ("My computer pwns yoo!").

"But, Feath, why not use the game to see how will the hardware runs?"

I'm going to use an analogy here.

You have two cars, you want to see which one is the fastest. Now you could.

A) Time the cars on an empty race track
B) Time the cars going through a busy town.

Obviously, you'd do A, because doing B will introduce random variables (What if the driver of Car A went a different way, or Car B got caught in traffic). With B, you could get a different result each time, even with the same car. BUT, with A, the result will always be similar.

My point, the benchmark (empty race track) will ALWAYS run the same way, the same things will happen. But the game involves an element of chance, the player may do different things, or random events may happen. Using the benchmark you can directly compare the hardware on certain settings.

Even if you were going to use the Benchmark to see if your computer will run Half-Life 2, you could always WAIT a few days before buying the game. Even so, I doubt there'll be many people who will download the benchmark who won't be able to judge for themselves whether the game will run (Especically since the benchmark results have been released).

Overall, Valve don't need to release the Benchmark to the public.

Originally posted by scribblehead

Welll...... there's me.... i am a reviewer for the BBC.

Just one example - i received BF1942 Secret Weapons of World War 2 2 weeks before the release to the public.

All of the games that i get now i receive before they are realeased (excluding FS2004 - which is not arriving until tuesday next week)

Originally posted by Piecemak3r
how many times must we post this? it will be on steam on the 30th probably and in stores a couple weeks after. DEAL WITH IT.

Ummm... no? I thought you already had this explained to you, man.

Originally posted by Piecemak3r

Don't make stuff up. Nobody at Valve has EVER said that. The only evidence for it is a caption in a magazine that the Authour has admitted was wrong.

Originally posted by Letters
Ummm... no? I thought you already had this explained to you, man.

Ummmm... Gabe said that the game would be on "shelves" on sep 30th

Originally posted by Tastyweat

Just one example - i received BF1942 Secret Weapons of World War 2 2 weeks before the release to the public.

All of the games that i get now i receive before they are realeased (excluding FS2004 - which is not arriving until tuesday next week)

I'd say thats your personally experience.

And well that does'nt really answer my question, now does it...;)

well, the only swedish retailer who seem to have any knowledge of whats going on seems to be webhallen.com, if any of you swedes out there know a better place please tell me about it.

Originally posted by scribblehead

Not necessarily a fact, but just saying that 90% of the time, the press gets games first so that they can review it, and have their reviews posted before the game comes out. There are always reviews of games out before the game is released, and that's by the press getting it first. Doesn't happen all the time, but does happen most the time. But regardless, this is all random discussion. Gamespot may be wrong, misinformed, making stuff up, etc.
Basically, no one knows anything. We'll find out when Valve/Vivendi officially announce something, or at least when it pops up on store shelves.

For PvtRyan, I wasn't saying releasing the benchmark with the games makes sense. Doing that is asinine. What I was saying made sense is that the game won't be out for the public on the 30th if the press is getting it the 30th. But as manny_c44 said, maybe the press will have to buy it themselves.
Who knows...

Originally posted by manny_c44
The BBC eviews games? Hows that working out for you?

It's goin good thx - i review for BBC Radio Lincolnshire's youth programme - called 'The Mix'

Originally posted by GraphicFoxx
Not necessarily a fact, but just saying that 90% of the time

I stopped reading after that line..

I was under the impression that Games Reviewers don't ALWAYS get the game early.

Anyway, Valve probably haven't finished yet.

Well magazines sure as hell do. They get games much earlier then the rest of the bunch, but looks like that might not happen with HL2. Unless they already have it and are good at keeping secrets.

Originally posted by manny_c44
Well magazines sure as hell do. They get games much earlier then the rest of the bunch, but looks like that might not happen with HL2. Unless they already have it and are good at keeping secrets.

There's also a "Valve keep things secret" factor. They've kept so much from us (story, multiplayer) and if they release stuff to the press a lot of it could be online before the game is released.

A member of the press leaked the Halo Beta, remember?

Umm i'd say the reason why reviewers aren't gonna get this game before the general public, is as valve has always stated...THEY DON'T WANT US KNOW HALF OF THE STORY AND GAME BEFORE IT SHIPS....sheeesh we all know that its inevetable that some magazine or website at some point spills the news about the story or something important---runing it for us. This is why i think it'll be shipped to the reviewers at the same time as to the public :D GO VALVE

Originally posted by G·Man
I stopped reading after that line..

Because 85% of statistics are made up? He does make a valid point, however.

Originally posted by Feath
I was under the impression that Games Reviewers don't ALWAYS get the game early.

Anyway, Valve probably haven't finished yet.

Well.... not ALWAYS - but 80-90% of the time.

I'd guess that the press will get the game in ultra-secrecy after it goes gold. Next week anyone? (hoping, hoping, hoping)

I've learned to never try to anticipate Valve or guess their actions....they don't seem to follow the normal pattern. That tends to be a good thing.

I'm guessing that Valve/Vivendi will do one of three things:

1. Give the game to the reviewers at the same time that it is released to the public.

or

2. Give the game to the press just after it goes gold and swear them to secrecy until the game has been released to the public.

or

3. Give the game to the press after it has gone gold and just let them tell everyone about it.

I'm guessing that in their current frame of mind, the 1st suggestion is the most likely.

In Germany today there was a news flash that told HL2 will be released in Februar 2004. That news comes from a serious PC newspaper in Germany. They told that was an confirmation from Gabe Newell!!
I hope it isn`t true guys...! I cross my fingers for 30 Sept. !
(Sorry for my bad english)

I'm guessing that Valve/Vivendi will do one of three things:

1. Give the game to the reviewers at the same time that it is released to the public.

or

2. Give the game to the press just after it goes gold and swear them to secrecy until the game has been released to the public.

or

3. Give the game to the press after it has gone gold and just let them tell everyone about it.

I'm guessing that in their current frame of mind, the 1st suggestion is the most likely.
Well in #3, I think Valve would be more likely to force reviewers to keep all information to themselves under threat of lawsuit and such stuff as that. Make the press reviewers sign a contract that allows Valve employees to beat the crap out of the press with baseball bats if any info is released before the 30th.

Back